Vegans/Vegetarians: How do you do it?

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm trying, really. I'm phasing myself into the Eat Right for your Type diet and I'm a Type A, so it's a predominantly vegetarian diet. So, I figured I'd try some tofu recipes, even bought a Tofurkey tonight...

how the *bleep* do ya'll do it? Seriously. I'm really beginning to dislike the flavor of tofu, and no matter what I do, I can't hide that flavor. I love my veggies, but seriously...

I can have poultry and some fish, on this diet. it's supposed to help the idiosyncrasies of the body of a Type A (as in blood type) not only lose/maintain a proper weight, but also balance out things like pains and stomach acid issues (I have chronic headaches and other things, but have little insurance so I can't afford good doctors).

If you're a vegan or vegetarian (I know you're here, too), what are your tips and tricks to working with tofu? I've done the draining thing (Good Eats is an awesome show), marinated it in soy sauce (did that once, not bad, but still very salty, hate low sodium soy sauce), and all that... what do you do?

I'd like to continue exploring this... but the Tofurkey is pretty much a waste... the texture and flavor stopped me eating it after three bites.

recipes? tips? tricks? Anything?

Now, if only I could get these #$%^%^#&%#$$^#$%& hiccups to leave me alone (been on and off all d*** day, and is driving my nuts... all my usual tricks don't work, and the 'traditional' methods have never worked... don't worry about it... they'll pass... eventually)

I need to go find other food now... three bites wasn't enough...

Amanda

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not one by any means, but have you ever seen Laurel's Kitchen cookbook? It's got amazing vegetarian recipes, and I don't remember any tofu!

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you eating dairy? There's always mac n cheese.

I decided to go vegan a few months ago and although I've fallen off the regime a few times (especially when eating out) I've done fairly well.

I DRINK some of my soy. I like Silk soy drink best.

I make stir fries with veggies and tofu, with lemon juice, garlic, and ...well, I like a little cumin. Ginger is good, and I like chili powder.

I eat nuts or peanut butter instead of tofu things.

I like the Trader Joes frozen veggie patties. Morning Star veggie patties are pretty good, too. I had a friend that made tacos with faux ground meat. I'm planning to try that, but haven't yet.

I eat Dennison's canned vegetarian chili, Andersen's split pea soup. There are some other soups, too.

I like hummus -- that's vegan.

Hope this helps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll have to look it up... thanks!

One issue with trying to do vegetarian recipes I've already found with the diet is that my type is not allowed to have tomatoes, potatoes/sweet potatoes. It's hard to bring flavor in without those. But I'm going to try. I love cooking asian (well, quasi-asian), and it seems to fit the easiest with the restrictions. I'm going to give myself about a year with this, then maybe go full vegetarian or something... dunno...

there is a cookbook for this diet, but I want to get it used, not brand new, as it's not cheap...

Amanda

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katie=^..^=

Are you eating dairy? There's always mac n cheese.

I decided to go vegan a few months ago and although I've fallen off the regime a few times (especially when eating out) I've done fairly well.

I DRINK some of my soy. I like Silk soy drink best.

I make stir fries with veggies and tofu, with lemon juice, garlic, and ...well, I like a little cumin. Ginger is good, and I like chili powder.

I eat nuts or peanut butter instead of tofu things.

I like the Trader Joes frozen veggie patties. Morning Star veggie patties are pretty good, too. I had a friend that made tacos with faux ground meat. I'm planning to try that, but haven't yet.

I eat Dennison's canned vegetarian chili, Andersen's split pea soup. There are some other soups, too.

I like hummus -- that's vegan.

Hope this helps.
Silk isn't bad, for soy milk, but most of the soy milks I've tried with my Chai concentrate really change the flavor. I can't have cow milk, but goat milk is acceptable... and it doesn't change the Chai flavor much at all...

Do you marinate the tofu in your stir fry? If so, in what?

mmMMMmmmm peanut butter... also not banned... can have that... just need to find allowed bagels to smear it on... (bagels with PB are SOOOO good... used to have Thomas' Egg bagels, but they stopped making them... the b*******)

No tomatoes, no potatoes... have some frozen ground faux meat... haven't done anything with it yet...

Hummus... love hummus... even JoJo the freaky furball loves hummus...

Something is truly wrong with that cat.

Amanda

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

I'll have to look it up... thanks!

One issue with trying to do vegetarian recipes I've already found with the diet is that my type is not allowed to have tomatoes, potatoes/sweet potatoes. It's hard to bring flavor in without those. But I'm going to try. I love cooking asian (well, quasi-asian), and it seems to fit the easiest with the restrictions. I'm going to give myself about a year with this, then maybe go full vegetarian or something... dunno...

there is a cookbook for this diet, but I want to get it used, not brand new, as it's not cheap...

Amanda
You might try the library or Amazon used...

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to be a vegetarian but Im not now
working on getting back that way though anyways I marinated my tofu in things like olive oil and lemon for salads or soy sauce...for the book you can search ebay if you trust it I like ebay I always check the feedback before buying though.

iluvdevons

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My husband is a vegetarian and thus I have been through the tofu experience.
Probably my favorite way to prepare tofu is:
1 - Drain tofu in a mass of paper towels which are sandwiched between two baking pans - SAVE CONTAINER.
2 - Place heavy books on top pans.
3 - Change out the paper towels once, after about 30 min. Let drain about 2 hours.
For 1 pound soy tempeh:
1/2 cup tamari (low sodium SAN-J is FAB in my opinion)
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
4 teaspoons mirin
1 1/2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
I also add cayenne pepper, and if desired, add a bit of citrus juice, like lime.

4 - Cut tofu into SMALL bite-sized cubes.
5 - Place tofu back into container, cover and marinate at least 1-2 hrs in fridge. (Best if overnight.)

6 - Place oven on broil. Place tin foil on baking tray and spray with cooking oil. Take tofu and arrange on pan (drizzle some marinade over).
7 - Broil for 4 mins, take out of oven to flip tofu pieces, then broil 4 minutes more.
8 - Add tofu to desired veggies and noodles, and add a bit of the marinade.

Another option is tempeh, which does not need draining, but has a coarser texture and can fall apart more easily than extra firm tofu. (I happen to like tempeh, but my hubby isn't a huge fan.) Again, try it with different marinades overnight and try the broiling bit. (I would leave the tempeh whole in the marinade, and cut just prior to broiling.) Again, this is my favourite preparation of tofu - I hope you like it

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
mmm use the ground faux meat with some taco seasoning and make burritos with lettuce and guacamole and cheese.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I drink silk every day. Im Allergic to Milk. I put the Tofu with Sauce and buy the Morning Star Brand fake Burgers. I do eat chicken though. I do eat Cheese evn though I am Allergic to Milk. I get Cheese Enchaladas. I eat Nuts. I do not eat to much Chicken either.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was a vegetarian until I became pregnant the first time! I personally could not do the whole tofu thing! I still alowed myself dairy products, but no meat, of any kind! I was very skinny on this diet! I did alot of salads with different things, I put dressing, sunflower seeds, cottage cheese, and cucumbers on lettuce! I would eat things like cheese pizza, peanut butter and jelly, mac n cheese, bean burrito's, vegetarian chilli and stuff like that! It wasn't too hard for me at the time, and I should really get back to it, but my kids need meat and I know it so its hard!! I wish you luck with it and hope you find some stuff you actually enjoy eating! (I cant handle the texture of tofu, I always seem to "give it back" after I eat it! )

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never been able to figure Tofu out, I mess it up every time!!! In the UK, we have something called Quorn, which is a mushroom protein and can bew used to make things like lasagne, shepherds pie etc, which makes things easier.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The WORST thing you can do if you want to switch to a mainly vegetarian diet, is replace the meat part of a meat meal with something like tofu. You just end up wanting the meat instead, because tofu is fairly yuk.

If you're going to cut out meat, work out meals that don't have a 'meat and 2 veg' structure in the first place. I'm not veggie any more, but the best way is to focus on the vegetables and pulses and how to make that the main element of the meal.

Italian food is really easy if you want to cut out meat - pasta or gnocci with tomato based vegetable sauces (you can roast peppers, tomatoes, garlic, eggplant etc and then blend to make a really rich sauce) or mushroom/cream type sauces, and northern Italian food includes things like borlotti bean casseroles. Indian/Pakistani food is also good as meat is mostly only added in the west to suit western tastes, a lot of it is normally vegetarian - potatoes, chickpeas, spinach etc in a curry makes a very balanced 1 pot meal. Also things like winter vegetable casserole with squash and leeks is tasty and comforting.

If you really want something that you can have with potatoes, veg, and gravy, try something like a pastry parcel stuffed with mushrooms and spinach or ricotta cheese.

There are loads of tasty recipes you can find using google, if you want to have an interesting healthy vegetarian diet then you do need to get away from the idea of meat or a meat replacer as the focus of the meal - otherwise you'll just get bored and disappointed.

I hope that gives you some ideas

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As I state on my profile, I am a vegan and have been since I read the book Diet for A New America. I believe that book came out in 1988 which would mean I have touched no animal products in 20 years. If you can get a hold of this book on Amazon.com, do so. There is no way you will continue your present eating habits after reading this book, I guarantee you!

ryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Another vegan here.

Have you tried freezing tofu before using it? Once you defrost it, the texture has changed and it will suck in so much more flavor. Mind you, some people don't like the texture that way, they think it's spongy. I myself love it, IMO it's a bit like white bread.

You do know you don't have to eat tofu if you don't like it? There are many other vegan protein sources.

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
I eat mostly vegan food but I am just starting to get used to tofu. By itself (without marinating), I think it tastes pretty gross. But luckily, once marinated, you can't really taste the tofu flavor anymore.

One of my favorite way to prepare tofu is to marinate it in a spicy peanut-ginger sauce.
I just mix peanut butter, soy sauce, garlic, ginger and spicy sauce (preferably Asian style). I don't have the exact measurements because I usually just throw stuff together at random. But I'd say it's about equal parts soy sauce and peanut butter, and the rest to taste.

Another recipe I tried last week:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Orange-...es/Detail.aspx
It was really yummy.

But if you want to add variety to your diet, there are other ways of adding soy to your diet. Textured Vegetable Protein is another option. It's basically soy flakes, you soak them and then you can use them like ground meat. I like to stir-fry some veggies (onions, pepper and mushrooms are a good choice), with some herbs/spice and then add the TVP, cook for a minute or two and then serve on pasta.
You can also use veggie ground (I like the Yves brand, and they also make some good "chicken" ground).

And you can also get proteins by eating lentils and beans. Lentils I usually put in soups, and beans I eat in salads, bean burgers and stir-fry.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for that Epona, I have been struggling recently to think of nice meals, so will use some of your tips.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was a vegetarian for a couple of years. Since I didn't give up dairy and I have never really been a big meat eater anyway it really was not that big of an adjustment. I don't know if I could have went to the vegan diet though. I depended on things like cheese, peanut butter, and beans for protein. I tried tofu a couple of times and I didn't really care for it.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let me tell you about my diet that I have been on since the first of the year. I have lost 18 lbs.........

It is falling off and I am eating great!!! I am not hungry.... But you have to be devoted..

This is a 12 week menu........ You just keep repeating it. Besides eating on the menu plan, I am doing Billy Blanks 12 power rounds every morning. It takes about 15 minutes and you can get it on ebay for less than 10 bucks. I can see major changes in my body. I have about 70 more lbs to lose. And I feel great......

The philosophy behind this menu plan is simple. If you eat 5 small meals a day, your motabilism is always high and you burn more calories. It is working for me and I have never been a sucessful dieter.

The biggest change was throwing out all unhealthy food out of my house. I tossed all grease, salt, bread, noodles, fattening milk, cokes, cheese, and everything else not on this diet out of the house. I buy fatfree milk, fat free youngart and fat free cheese. I bought all brands of Mrs Dash for seasonings. No grease and no salt and no bread are the biggies. I use egg beaters. No yolks.

And here's the diet plan. Very well balanced. Low fat, low carb, high protein.

I eat it, do 15 minutes of cardio every morning before work and lift light weights twice a week.

The substitutions I have made are.....instead of mahi mahi fish, I use salmon or talapia. I do not drink protein powder either. I have a fat free yogurt. I do not use the whey powder either. I have a tomatoes or some celery. but other than that, I follow it to the T...

These are all normal items to buy and your whole family can benefit. It's a good diet and you do not feel deprived. My joints have quit hurting, my headaches are gone and I have lots of energy. The 15 minutes of cardio in the morning starts my day off right. I feel invigorated. You can do it!! If I can, anyone can........

And since I am a big mexician food fan, I have devised a way to eat tacos and not cheat on my diet....

I cut my chicken breast up in strips or use ground turkey and put it in the oven to cook it. On the stove, I saute blade onions, tomatoes and peppers and mix it with fat free refried beans. And then stick it in a corn tortilla. Corn tortillas are naturally low in fat and low in carbs. The fat free beans are high in protein so it is on my diet. I have this variety once a week or so. It is delicious and I season with Mrs Dash again. I have a whole shelf of her stuff. It is my only seasonings.....

You can also make shrimp or chicken breast kabobs for variety once in a while with your veggies stuck on it. Just stay on the menu and exercise and you will lose. It won't matter what body type you are.. This is healthy and is a lifestyle change. Food is our fuel and I have decided to give myself the unleaded variety so my body will run efficiently..... You know what I mean??

If I cheat on my diet, I have a can of spinach or hominy with "I can't believe it's not butter". So I still am cheating healthy...

My taste buds after three weeks have changed and the meals taste so good.... I don't miss the grease and when people sit next to me eating hamburgers, I smell the grease. It is turning slowly into a gross odor.... My cholesterol has dropped as well...

And water is my only beverage.......

======================
Weeks One & Two, Seven & Eight

DAY 1

Meal #1:
  • 1 small apple
  • 1 cup fat free cottage cheese

Meal #2:
  • 1 6oz can no salt added tuna
  • 1 cup celery
Meal #3:
  • 1 grilled chicken breast w/ low carb BBQ sauce
  • 1 cup green beans w/ 2 sprays of I Can't Believe It's Butter Spray and some "No Salt" brand salt substitute
Meal #4:
  • Protein bar
Meal #5:
  • 8 oz extra lean turkey burger w/ low carb ketchup
  • 1 sliced tomato w/ 1/4 cup copped onions mixed w/ a little fat free sour cream.
DAY 2

Meal #1:
  • Whey protein powder
  • 1/2 cup low fat, low sugar yogurt
Meal #2:
  • Grilled turkey breast w/ mustard
  • 1 cup sweet potatoes mashed w/ a little fat free milk
Meal #3:
  • 1 grilled chicken breast over a big bowl of ice berg lettuce and mushrooms w/ fat free, low sodium Italian dressing.
Meal #4:
  • 5 slices fat free cheese rolled up with low sodium ham lunch meat
Meal #5:
  • protein powder drink
DAY 3

Meal #1:
  • 1/2 cup (dry) oatmeal w/ Splenda and cinnamon
  • 6 pouched egg whites also sprinkled w/ Splenda and cinnamon
Meal #2:
  • Protein bar
Meal #3:
  • 4 oz grilled salmon sprinkled w/ lemon juice
  • 2 cups brussel sprouts
Meal #4:
  • 1 small bag low fat beef jerky
Meal #5:
  • 1 grilled turkey breast
  • 2 cups steamed butternut squash w/ peal
DAY 4

Meal #1:
  • Whey protein powder
  • 1/2 cup (dry) oatmeal w/ 2 tablespoons sugar-free maple syrup
Meal #2:
  • 1 6 oz can no salt added tuna
  • 1 cup celery
Meal #3:
  • 8 oz extra lean ground turkey w/ low carb BBQ sauce
  • 1/2 cup black beans
Meal #4:
  • 1 grilled chicken breast
  • 1 cup broccoli
Meal #5:
  • 8 oz grilled orange roughy
  • 1 cups steamed broccoli w/ 2 sprays of I Can't Believe It's Butter Spray and some "No Salt" brand salt substitute
DAY 5

Meal #1:
  • 1 grapefruit
Meal #2:
Meal #3:
  • 6 oz grilled Mahi Mahi w/ lemon juice
  • 1 cup steamed asparagus
Meal #4:
Meal #5:
  • protein powder drink

DAY 6

Meal #1:
  • 6 scrambled egg whites w/ mushrooms, onions, and green peppers
Meal #2:
  • 2 slices whole wheat bread w/ 3 slices fat free cheese clean grilled on a George Foreman grill
Meal #3:
  • 96% lean ground beef w/ low carb BBQ sauce
  • 1 cup shredded cabbage mixed w/ 1 tablespoons fat free mayonnaise
Meal #4:
  • 2 cups fat free, sugar-free pudding make w/ fat free milk (white chocolate is the best!)
Meal #5:
  • 1 cup scallops steamed w/ 2 cups bok choy and low sodium soy sauce
DAY 7

Meal #1:
  • 4 strips extra lean turkey bacon sliced and cooked
  • 1/2 cup cooked sweet potatoes
Meal #2:
  • 1 cup shrimp over a bowl of ice berg lettuce
  • 1/2 cup salsa
Meal #3:
  • 4 oz grilled salmon
  • 1 cup steamed yellow squash
  • 1 cup steamed zucchini
Meal #4:
  • 2 cups fat free, sugar-free pudding make w/ fat free milk
Meal #5:
  • 6 oz grilled Mahi Mahi
  • 1 cup brussel sprouts
Weeks Three & Four, Nine & Ten

DAY 1

Meal #1:
  • Whey protein powder
  • 1 grapefruit
Meal #2:
  • 1/4 cup fat free cream cheese
  • 1 cup celery
Meal #3:
  • 1 cup green beans w/ 2 sprays of I Can't Believe It's Butter Spray and some "No Salt" brand salt substitute
Meal #4:
  • Protein bar
Meal #5:
  • 1 sliced tomato w/ 1/4 cup copped onions mixed w/ a little fat free sour cream.
DAY 2

Meal #1:
  • 6 hard boiled egg whites
  • 1 small apple
Meal #2:
  • Protein bar
Meal #3:
  • 1 grilled chicken breast over a big bowl of ice berg lettuce w/ 1/2 cup salsa.
Meal #4:
  • 1/2 cup (dry) oatmeal
  • 1 cup fat free milk
Meal #5:
  • 1 sliced cucumber mixed w/ 1/4 cup chopped onions and fat free sour cream
DAY 3

Meal #1:
  • 1 cup fat free milk
Meal #2:
  • 1 grape fruit
Meal #3:
  • 1 grilled turkey breast w/ mustard
  • 1 cup shredded cabbage w/ 2 tablespoon fat free mayonnaise
Meal #4:
  • 1 small apple w/ 2 tablespoons peanut butter
Meal #5:
  • protein powder drink
DAY 4

Meal #1:
  • 6 pouched egg whites
  • 1 slice whole wheat toast w/ 2 tablespoons sugar-free jelly
Meal #2:
  • 1 grilled chicken breast, cut in strips and topped
  • 1/2 cup salsa
Meal #3:
  • 1 cup steamed scallops
  • 1 cup steamed zucchini
Meal #4:
  • 1 grapefruit
Meal #5:
  • 1 cup fat free milk
DAY 5

Meal #1:
  • Whey protein
  • 1 small apple
Meal #2:
Meal #3:
  • 6 oz grilled orange roughy w/ lemon juice
Meal #4:
  • 10 slices low sodium turkey lunch meat w/ low carb BBQ sauce
  • 1 cup celery
Meal #5:
  • 8 oz extra lean ground turkey
  • 1 cup sliced yellow squash
DAY 6

Meal #1:
  • 2 slices whole wheat bread dipped in 3 beaten egg whites and grilled on a clean pan and topped w/ sugar-free maple syrup
Meal #2:
Meal #3:
  • 6 oz grilled Mahi Mahi
  • grilled asparagus
Meal #4:
  • 2 cup fat free cottage cheese with 1/2 cup Splenda (it tastes like ice cream!)
Meal #5:
  • 96% lean ground beef w/ low carb BBQ sauce wrapped in ice berg lettuce leaves
DAY 7

Meal #1:
  • 6 egg whites scrambled
  • 4 oz chopped extra lean ham
Meal #2:
  • 2 slices whole wheat bread w/ 3 slices fat free cheese clean grilled on a George Foreman grill
Meal #3:
  • 6 oz extra lean ground turkey w/ low carb ketchup
  • big bowl of iceberg lettuce with snap peas and 1 small sliced tomato
Meal #4:
  • 6 oz grilled Mahi Mahi
Meal #5:
  • 1 cup fat free, sugar-free pudding make w/ fat free milk
  • 1 cup fat free milk
Weeks Five & Six, Eleven & Twelve

DAY 1

Meal #1:
  • Whey protein
  • 1 small apple
Meal #2:
  • 1 6oz can no salt added tuna
  • 1 cup celery
Meal #3:
  • 1 grilled chicken breast w/ low carb BBQ sauce
Meal #4:
  • 6 pouched egg whites
  • 1 grapefruit
Meal #5:
DAY 2

Meal #1:
  • 6 poached egg whites
  • 1 grapefruit
Meal #2:
  • Grilled turkey breast w/ mustard
Meal #3:
  • 1 grilled chicken breast over a big bowl of ice berg lettuce and mushrooms w/ fat free, low sodium Italian dressing
Meal #4:
  • Protein bar
Meal #5:
  • 8 oz grilled Mahi Mahi
  • grilled asparagus sprinkled w/ lemon juice
DAY 3

Meal #1:
  • 6 pouched egg whites also sprinkled w/ Splenda and cinnamon
Meal #2:
  • Grilled turkey breast w/ low carb BBQ sauce
  • 1/2 cup (dry) brown rice
Meal #3:
  • 4 oz grilled salmon sprinkled w/ lemon juice
  • 2 cups brussel sprouts
Meal #4:
  • 1 small bag low fat beef jerky
Meal #5:
  • 8 oz grilled Mahi Mahi
  • grilled asparagus sprinkled w/ lemon juice
DAY 4

Meal #1:
  • whey protein
  • 1/2 cup (dry) oatmeal w/ 2 tablespoons sugar-free maple syrup
Meal #2:
  • 1 6 oz can no salt added tuna
  • 1 cup celery
Meal #3:
  • 1 sliced cucumber w/ 1/4 cup chopped onions mixed w/ fat free sour cream and some "No Salt" brand salt substitute
Meal #4:
  • 1 cup broccoli
Meal #5:
  • 8 oz grilled orange roughy
  • 1 cups steamed broccoli w/ 2 sprays of I Can't Believe It's Butter Spray and some "No Salt" brand salt substitute
DAY 5

Meal #1:
  • 1 grapefruit
Meal #2:
  • Protein bar
Meal #3:
  • 6 oz grilled Mahi Mahi w/ lemon juice
Meal #4:
  • 1 cup shrimp over
  • 2 cups fresh spinach w/ lemon juice
Meal #5:
  • 1 sliced cucumber w/ 1/4 cup chopped onions mixed w/ fat free sour cream and some "No Salt" brand salt substitute
DAY 6

Meal #1:
  • 6 scrambled egg whites w/ mushrooms, onions, and green peppers
Meal #2:
Meal #3:
  • 1 cup shredded cabbage mixed w/ 1 tablespoons fat free mayonnaise
Meal #4:
Meal #5:
  • 1 cup scallops w/ 1 cups steamed bok choy and low sodium soy sauce
DAY 7

Meal #1:
  • 4 strips extra lean turkey bacon sliced and cooked
  • 1/2 cup cooked sweet potatoes
Meal #2:
  • 1 cup shrimp over a bowl of ice berg lettuce
  • 1/2 cup salsa
Meal #3:
Meal #4:
Meal #5:
  • 6 oz grilled Mahi Mahi
  • 1 cup brussel sprouts

peachytoday

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ryn

Have you tried freezing tofu before using it? Once you defrost it, the texture has changed and it will suck in so much more flavor. Mind you, some people don't like the texture that way, they think it's spongy. I myself love it, IMO it's a bit like white bread.
I like freezing tofu also, for me it seems to soak up the flavors I am marinating the tofu in better. I have just started working with tofu and trying to figure it out myself. I actually prefer blending tofu until smooth and adding spinach or other vegetables to make lasagna or stuffed shells or thinning it out to make a soup. That way my meat loving husband does not think he is eating tofu. We are not vegetarians but I am trying to have two meatless dinners a week to reduce our carbon footprint. Tonight we are having a lentil spaghetti sauce with whole wheat noodles. We also use portabella mushrooms instead of meat as it has that hearty meat texture.

My husband is a chef that teaches cooking classes. The biggest advice he gives is for people to find out what spices and flavors you like and try to incorporate them in your recipes.