Body Sugaring

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started to use Body Sugar for hair removal in 1996.

Anyone else use Body Sugar instead of waxing or shaving?

I usually make my own but tonight I'm using a jar of Alexandia Body Sugar that I found in my pantry. I forgot I even had it.

It's basically apply it, rub on a cotton strip and peel it off. No pain, no redness. And smooth hair free areas for many weeks. The strips are reusable all you do is rinse them in warm water and let them dry.

http://www.hair-removal-products.com/alexandria-sugar.html

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never heard of it, but my daughter might be able to use it - she's got her dad's genes & has a bit of a mustache.
Do you get it online?

Oh, and if you've been using it for 11 years, it must work pretty well!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It works great!

There is a bit of a learning curve IE: making sure the skin is clean and dry, and learning to not apply too much because over applying makes it not work. But once you get over those humps, it's speedy and very fast.

I've seen it in local pharmacies here. When I first started using it I had to order it from our Shopping Channel, but since then it's now sold in the drug stores. At least where I live it is. But if it isn't, you can order it online.

It's really great because it will remove the hair from a peach! So you don't have to wait for the hair to grow a certain length.

One thing..it doesn't do well with the coarse thick hair like men's facial hair. So if you are a woman and have those really coarse thick hairs on your chin/upper lip instead of the usually soft thinner hair, body sugar won't remove those. Unfortunately I have some of that type of hair on my chin/upper lip due to my polycystic ovary, so for that I usually use a home facial wax kit. But for the rest of the hair (arms, under arms, legs, bikini, toes/fingers, eye brows, sides of face) I use body sugar.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's really cool. My DD also shaves her arms!
That is weird to me, but whatever...

How do you make it? That would be cool to be able to do at home...

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was working nights, I would take my body sugar to work and pass the word around that I would do brow shaping and facial hair removal on coffee breaks!

One girl on the ward was getting married and sugared her brows, legs, under arms, arms, and bikini area the week before her wedding. She was thrilled!

And the nice thing about sugaring is that when the hair starts to grow back it's hardly noticable. It's very fine and because you have removed the hair from the root, it's growing out with the tapered tip so it's no coarse and rough. And the more you sugar the less hair you will grow back over time.

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

That's really cool. My DD also shaves her arms!
That is weird to me, but whatever...
I used to shave my arms in Jr. High even though I have blond hair. It's probably just pressure from other kids at school.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StacyD1987

I used to shave my arms in Jr. High even though I have blond hair. It's probably just pressure from other kids at school.
I never even thought of that. I sprayed Sun In to lighten my arm hair! My poor DD got the Italian genes...

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StacyD1987

i have to shave my arms because, it's something to do with my disability! really annoys me aswel

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

Can you PM the recipe and instructions? I'd love to try it!
I can't give you my recipe because it's one that I spent many hours perfecting for a home business that I had at one time and hope to once again resurrect at some point in the future.

However, I did a google search and found a sugar recipe that should work if you make it right.

2 C Sugar
1/4 C lemon juice
1/4 C Water

You will also need some thin canvas (100% cotton) cut into 2 1/2 x 8 inich strips.

Mix all ingredients together, boil until it reaches 250 degrees F. or at softball stage (as in when making jelly or candy.)

Pour into a microwavable plastic container. Let cool uncovered.

To Use:

Make sure your skin is clean and dry, free of oils. Do not use cornstarch or powder to dry the skin because that will ruin your body sugar.

When you want to use it, microwave the container (uncovered) for about 10 to 20 seconds until softened. Do not boil! It should only be mildly warm and should not have the "ouch factor" if you stick your finger in it!

Use a tongue depresser and spread some of the mixture on the skin in the direction of the hair growth. I usually cover an area about 2" x 5 inches or so.

Do not use the tongue depressor like a butter knife. You do not want to apply a thick layer of the sugar because it won't work then. Apply it using the thin edge of the tongue depresse, not the wide flat part. If you think you have applied enough, SCRAPE some off using the edge of the tongue depresser!
Most people tend to over apply. You really only want a very, very, very, very thin layer.

Apply the cotton stip over the sugared area. Rub firmly a few times so that it sticks to the sugar. Hold the skin at the far end of the strip and pull the strip quickly back over itself. Do not pull upwards and then back because that will hurt! And it will also bruise the skin. Grab the end of the strip and if you do it right your fingers/hand should remain in contact with the strip as you pull it backwards. Do it quickly and it won't hurt. I think it hurts less than pulling off a bandaid actually.

Apply some sugar to the next area. Apply the same strip over that area and repeat the rubbing and removal process.

Do it again with another area and use the same strip again.

Try applying the strip to another area without applying any new sugar. Rub firmly and remove as instructed above. You can often reuse the strip with the sugar on it a few times before having to apply more sugar or use a new cotton strip.

When done, simply rinse the cotton strips in hot water and hang to dry.

Cover the sugar and keep in a cool dark place (not fridge) for future use. Do not over heat when warming it again.

NOTE: if you are doing your brows, I find that those wooden cutical sticks work well for applying the sugar to the proper area. Again, apply in the direction of hair growth. Remove the strip in the opposite direction.

NOTE NOTE: Not all hair grows in the same direction. If you are finding that a few of the hairs on your leg are not being removed, try placing the strip at a different angle.

ANOTHER TIP: Under arm hair grows in 2 directions. The hair growth is divided in the middle. If you have your arm raised, the hair from the middle of the pit upwards grows "upward", so apply the sugar from arm pit towards your hand. The lower 1/2 of the arm pit grows downwards towards you feet.

The hair on the backs of your thighs grows "upwards" towards your buttocks, but the hair below your knees grows downwards towards your feet.

If you can't remember which way the hair grows, think of a monkey sitting down. We decended from primates and if we sit in a similar position as in this picture, all of the hair on your body is in the down direction. Pretty neat eh?
There is actually a reason for that. It has to do with rain and needing to facilitate the removal of water so that we dried faster in the wild

http://www.naturephoto-cz.com/photos...nkey-30664.jpg

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I think I'll wait until I have a long weekend (to let my armpit hair grow....ewwww) so I can try this out!!! I hate shaving my armpits, because I always get razor burns and then deoderant causes chemical burns...and so on....resulting in painful underarms, seemingly forever...

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I once tried a similar method when I was a teen--I had read it in a novel about a Middle-Eastern harem, and thought I'd try it on my left arm (even though I don't have an excess of hair--I just wondered if it worked). It involved heating the sugar into a syrup, cooling it slightly (that's part I messed up!), applying it to the skin, and embedding a string in the goop. I don't remember if I actually removed any hair, but I DID remove some skin, I think!
Kinda put me off the process for some reason...

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MargeCat

but I DID remove some skin, I think!
Kinda put me off the process for some reason...
Not sure what you did, but you will never remove skin with body sugar because it sticks to the hair not the skin. Now waxing on the other hand can cause damage to the skin because it adheres pretty tight to the skin.

I wouldn't have used body sugar for 11 years if it was harmful or hurt. Plucking a hair with a pair of tweezers hurts way more than pulling of a strip of sugar from your leg.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Not sure what you did, but you will never remove skin with body sugar because it sticks to the hair not the skin. Now waxing on the other hand can cause damage to the skin because it adheres pretty tight to the skin.

I wouldn't have used body sugar for 11 years if it was harmful or hurt. Plucking a hair with a pair of tweezers hurts way more than pulling of a strip of sugar from your leg.
That is very cool. You'll have to let us know if you get your business started up again!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I just want to state here, as if no one has figured this out yet--I'm not exactly the highest wattage light bulb in the box....
I think I put the syrup mix on my skin while it was too hot--I really don't think I took any skin off--but I burned myself. I think the stuff you use is a bit different, and much safer (??). I was only about 13 at the time, and have since learned the value of patience!

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooh i hope we have it here. Epilating is painful. Waxing is even more painful and annoying especially behind the calves. Shaving is good but my legs get prickly the next day. I got the hungarian dark hair, so maybe it will be good for me.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MargeCat

I just want to state here, as if no one has figured this out yet--I'm not exactly the highest wattage light bulb in the box....
Not true -- you write much too well to be dumb!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey Linda,

I looked in the pharmacy on the weekend for some sugar, and found one by Parissa....its called Chamomile Body Sugar.

(I have read your posts about putting it on thinly, how to pull the strip, etc.)

Have you heard of the kind I bought? Is it any good?

The instructions say the hair must be 1/4" so it'll be a few days before I try it.

What is the difference between waxing and sugaring? The instructions, and the container of sugar, look very similiar to home waxing kits..... so I'm not really understanding how or why sugaring can work better than waxing and is more gentle.

Thx for any advice.