Sneezing - how much is too much?

orltwa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone!

So I have this two little guys, 10 month old brothers. One of them sneezes frequently. When I say that, I mean I'll hear him sneeze two or three times in a row once every couple of hours. He's still active and runs around this place like he owns it (well as we all know the cats DO rule the roost). He's also eating a lot and using the litter box as normal. Could it just be allergies or the fact that we're in a cold spell here in TX? I've never noticed it before until the weather turned cold. I don't notice anything else wrong with him and he doesn't have anything coming out of the nose or eyes, just sneezing. Nothing to be concerned about?

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could be any number of reasons.

Maybe your litter is really dusty? Some cats react to that.

Other things to consider:

How long has this been going on?

Short time, may be a precursor to a URI.
Long time may indicate an allergy to some household irritant.

Could be catnip if you use it. I have had cats sneeze around catnip. Must irritate their nasal passages.

A little more history on the sneezing might help narrow it down.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

orltwa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well it has been going on for about a week now. UTI? Now you have me a little worried! My little guys drink tons of water and so I didn't even think about that. Although I have to say I haven't noticed any change in their litter habits. In cleaning out the box tonight there were plenty of "balls" which I picked up with the scooper.

I don't have any catnip toys, so I know that's not it.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by orltwa

Well it has been going on for about a week now. UTI? Now you have me a little worried! My little guys drink tons of water and so I didn't even think about that. Although I have to say I haven't noticed any change in their litter habits. In cleaning out the box tonight there were plenty of "balls" which I picked up with the scooper.

I don't have any catnip toys, so I know that's not it.
Not UTI, but URI. Upper respiratory infection.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

orltwa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OOPS, those darn acronyms get me every time! LOL The big guy is in my lap as I type this. Such a love bug!

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, a week isn't long. Could be a mild URI. Something you need to just watch, to ensure it doesn't get worse.
With no other typical URI signs: weepy eyes, nasal discharge, lethargy or poor appetite, I would say just watch closely and hope it resolves on it's own.

If it continues for another week or additional symptoms appear, my advice would be to consult your Vet.

Best of luck!