Oh but did she ever get mad at me!!!!!!

hammyandwaf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I live in a hotel/apartment complex (hotel in front apartment buildings in back) and there are some strays around here that i have finally started feeding and watering, well one of them was outside my door where the food is and i was petting him. There is little kids here that try to take care of them too and one of the little girls was up here petting the kitty and brought a carpeted kitty pad to my landing for them to lay on. well she wanted to see my little kitty squishy. so since she hasn't been outside at all I was holding her in the doorway so the girl could see her and Squishy caught a glimpse of the other cat. She got upset, I put her down and washed my hands thinking that it was cause she could smell the other cat on me. I picked her back up and cuddled her like a baby and tried talking to her and telling her i loved her, she started growling, hissing, and smacking me in the face. Her eyes were squinted and ears laid back.. She didnt try to get down or anything. I held her for about 10 minutes petting her and loving on her, put her down and left her alone for about 15 and she was fine.... This is the first time she has gotten totally ticked off at me. It was extremely funny really, i couldnt help but to laugh at her... I didnt let her see me laugh of course she would have prolly gotten more mad.. It was quite obvious tho she didnt like the other cat OR she just dont like meowmy petting another kitty... Sorry for her but we are eventually getting another kitten. She cant stay mad forever is all i can tell her she will just have to get use to another one cause i really want to rescue one of the outdoor kittys that are running around here. It going to be interesting to say the least.... Didnt know jealousy could be so bad.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, Squishy is adorable! Indoor cats are extremely territorial and feel very threatened by strays or other cats around outside their home. It is one thing for you to come home with a scent and I am sure she knew they were around, but once she saw them, it's a reality to close to home for her, pun intended
. Now she knows they are right outside her home and it is best if any gifts, food, water is given away from your door. Shes not really mad at you, she is threatened and panicked by the strays and realizing how close they are. There are some things you can use to help desensitize the situation and when you get a kitten, it is different because you are inviting into your home, just make sure she is included with the introduction.
I live in an apartment building in Manhattan, Maia is terrified of people and animals (basically all but me
). We have a couple boy kitties next door that always run out into t5he hallway. She is aware of them from scent but has never seen them, I think that makes a huge difference. I'm always coming home with different scents on me, I love to say hello to all the neighborhood pets! This doesn't bother her, as long as I don't bring them home....

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

Shes not really mad at you, she is threatened and panicked by the strays and realizing how close they are. There are some things you can use to help desensitize the situation and when you get a kitten, it is different because you are inviting into your home, just make sure she is included with the introduction.
There are lots of advise on introductions in the stickies above.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hammyandwaf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for confirming that she was not mad at me... I didnt mean it to make her mad. She will probably not like a new playmate but i am patient and determined to get more kitties so i will make sure we introduce the right way cause i think she would enjoy having someone to play with. She is very active and plays all the time... I mean ALL the time.. we play with her as much as we can but she literally wears us out and is still ready to go.