Sick Cat - Worried

mrgarak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone. I am new to the board and in need of advice regarding my female cat - Sunny. This week has been hard with her. On Monday, I took her to the vet where she was diagnosed with kidney/renal problems. Today she came home with medication to be given daily (some twice daily).

I had to fight her to get her liquid anti-biotic down, but managed to give it to her. Then I must have spent 20 minutes with her in the bathroom trying to get her to swallow a capsule. I threw in the towel and called the vet because she was fighting so much and getting stressed and the capsule was not going down. The vet gave me some good advice with the liquid and other pills that could be broken up in food. The capsules turn out not to be the most important medicine for her.

Then right before I left for work I noticed her squatting in the kitchen sink where she proceeded to deficate. When I tried to stop her, she got nasty. I know she is stressed because of the week and me trying to give her medicine didn't help. Thus I can wait it out for a few days to see if this continues. I have Oxy Cleaning stuff for pet messes and bacteria, so the sink was clean within a few minutes.

I'm really worried how all of this is going to turn out. If the medicines don't help and she continues to have problems along with elimination issues, I am fearful I may have to consider putting her down. The tests and treatment of the past five days cost me $2500 plus. If she gets better, then it was worth it. However, if she continues to have problems and is suffering with no end in sight then I have to think about what is best for her. I know I can't keep pumping money into ongoing tests and treatment. I have three other cats and don't make the greatest money. I feel so stressed about what may happen and would appreciate any feedback and advice. I know I may be projecting the worst when it may not happen, but really feel worried. She is only 9 years and 3 months old.

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take it one step at a time. First focus on the medicines helping--keep a positive attitude that they will. Next, look at quality of life for the cat. Test after test without answers isn't easy on any owner or pet. You know your quality of life for yourself. We love our pets just like family members, but sometimes we have too look hard at the situation.

Leslie

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since she just came home from the vet, she's probably just stressed out. Try and give her a few days to get used to being back home. You could try keeping her in a closed off room (bedroom-bathroom) with her food and litter box until, say....tomorrow morning.

If you need to pill her again, try gently wrapping her in a towel, burrito style, to help keep her calm and still. Sending lots of calming for you both.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrgarak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by taterbug

Since she just came home from the vet, she's probably just stressed out. Try and give her a few days to get used to being back home. You could try keeping her in a closed off room (bedroom-bathroom) with her food and litter box until, say....tomorrow morning.

If you need to pill her again, try gently wrapping her in a towel, burrito style, to help keep her calm and still. Sending lots of calming for you both.
I like the idea of confining her to the bedroom while I'm at work. This would keep her sway from the male cats (who she hates) and I can leave her with food (with crushed up medicine). The bedroom has a litter box that I can clean everyday before leaving. Great advice, thank you.

mrgarak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jack31

Take it one step at a time. First focus on the medicines helping--keep a positive attitude that they will. Next, look at quality of life for the cat. Test after test without answers isn't easy on any owner or pet. You know your quality of life for yourself. We love our pets just like family members, but sometimes we have too look hard at the situation.

Leslie
I definitely need to take it one step at a time. Hopefully the next few days will be brighter.

mrgarak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got home last night and was gratified to not find crap in the sink, but could not find Sunny at first. When I checked the living room, she came out from behind the TV meowing. I held her for a little while while petting the other cats. Then I gave her the liquid antibiotic. I had to wrestle a little to get it down, but managed within two minutes. Then I picked her up and stroked her gently. She calmed down quickly. She loves to hug when held and she did.

When I fed the cats, I had to separate her from the boys because she is on a prescription food for her kidneys. It was funny because the boys took an interest in it when I opened the can. The new smell must have seemed great to the boys because they were ready to ignore their own food. I put Sunny in my bedroom with her food and a crushed up half pill. Boris, my oldest male followed me in and I had to give him the boot. Sunny went to town on her food while Boris meowed intently to be let in. Sunny ate a bit and walked away, but I was able to get her to have more by letting her lick the food off my fingers. It was kind of gross to do it that way, but she got a lot down and I'm confident the broken up pill went as well. Then I opened the door and Boris came in and tasted Sunny's food. He seemed to love it.

Sunny snuggled with me most of the night and suprisingly wasn't nasty to the boys when they climbed into bed as well. She looked, but then went back to rubbing my face with her head and then to sleep. At times, I could hear her purring.

This morning was a little trying because I had to give Sunny her fluids. This is done by putting a needle in her skin and letting the required dosage drain in. However, I am not a trained vet tech and live alone. I thought I had it in after she put up a fight, but she moved just a tad and the needle fell out. I decided to call the vet and they said I could bring her in. They were awesome and didn't charge since it wasn't a doctor visit. The tech also gave the morning antibiotic dose and helped get a capsule down (that was a unsuccessful chore yesterday.)

I just fed the cats and gave Sunny the half pill dose of one of the medicines and it looks like it was devoured. A little while ago I was shining the flashlight on the floor which she loves to chase. She wasn't running up and down the hall, but followed the light when it got close and tried tapping it. Now she is resting uner my bed. Since her behavior is more calm and I saw her in the litter box last night, I will not confine her while I am at work. Tonight is just a dose of the antibiotic and a crushed quarter pill in her food. On Monday I am bringing Boris for his checkup and Sunny will be along for the ride to get her fluids by the vet tech.

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are in my thoughts and prayers. I know you love your angel. It is difficult! I hope this improves.

I have to give one of my cats a teensy little pill every single day and have been doing so for over a year. I will never leave home because of this. No one else can give it to hom.

mrgarak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by batgirl2good

You are in my thoughts and prayers. I know you love your angel. It is difficult! I hope this improves.

I have to give one of my cats a teensy little pill every single day and have been doing so for over a year. I will never leave home because of this. No one else can give it to hom.
Thank you for your kindness. I'm praying everyday and will continue to update this post. I was supposed to go to Pennsylvania next Sunday morning for a race (I'm a runner), but Sunny will need her fluid injection. She gets it every two days and Sunday falls on the second day. It will be too much to drive 90 plus miles each way and try to get her to the vet before going to see my family. Thus I will choose the best course which is to cancel my trip so I can guarantee her getting her injection.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like your making progress and she's feeling better!
Continued prayers and that it stays that way!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a Cat with Crf and I had the Vet do the Sub Q's for over a year. I know it cost more taht way but i was afraid I would mess up. She also had to get shots everyweek. One was Procrit and the other was Winstrol. I think that one was every 2 weeks. She hated K/D but she did last longer then Vet thought she would. I hope your cat does good. This was over 8 Years ago.

siamesestacey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat, Sadie, is on Amlodipine once daily for high blood pressure and Tapazole twice daily for thyroid problems. Giving her pills is terrible so we had the medication formulated into liquid suspension that we'd squirt into her mouth. That didn't work. Stressful, awful, etc.

We have since had our Professional Arts Pharmacy make the blood pressure medicine into tuna flavored treats. They worked great, so we did the same with the thyroid med. Didn't work for the Tapazole. She wouldn't eat them and even stopped eating the blood pressure treats.

So, we finally figured out that the thyroid pill is tiny and we were alerted by a vet tech to try "Pill Pockets". They're chicken or salmon flavored. It's been heaven ever since. We slide the tiny Tapazole tablet into the slit of the treat, squeeze the end together and she loves them! She even went back to eating the blood pressure treats.

If you can, try Pill Pockets. They've saved our life.

mrgarak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sunday Sunny had a wicked case of the sneezies. Outside of that, she was pretty active and chased the flashlight light when shined on the floor. I gave her both antibiotic doses and I'm getting better at it. More seems to be going down then all over us. I gave her the 1/4 and 1/2 pills in some Tuna since she appears to be shying away from her K/D food. Two of my males (Boris and Basil) love it. They can't wait to come into my room and get at the leftovers. I'm going to look into Pill Pockets or something like them for the 1/4 and 1/2 pills. She is resting now and will be going to the vet for her every other day fluid.

The kindness of everyone here is greatly appreciated.

booboo1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to voice my support and encouragment to both you and sunny. Your post stuck out to me because I am a runner and I have a cat with renal failure! My cat (boo) is not yet to the point that she requires subQ's but she is on the renal diet food which fortunately she loves. We are sending you both good !!!