Tarantula pics requested by 709Juggalette

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My lovely girl, Lloth
She is a Gramastola rosea (Chilean rose)

She is in red phase, post moult.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is SOOOO cute!! What a beautiful fuzzy little thing! I used to have them. I had a bunch of Rose Hairs and an Indian Ornamental.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's so soft too.
She doesn't like being picked up, but she usually allows a few strokes.
I won't dare right now though, she's fasting, which means she'll probably moult again soon.
But I don't want my finger mistaken as wriggly food bug by a hungry T.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

She's so soft too.
I won't dare right now though, she's fasting, which means she'll probably moult again soon.
Have you ever had one get you?? It always made me nervous but then I realized any animal could "get you" at any time, you just have to make them feel secure and trust you and they won't ") I love spiders.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

She's so soft too.
What would posess you to pick something like that up!!!!

Has she ever bitten you? I don't like pets that bite

BUT she is pretty in her own spidery/killer way

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yup she's pretty but i wouldn't want her. what would happen if she bit you?

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is beautiful
I used to have tarantulas, but with my cats now, I could not get any more. I had many different species too. My favorite was my Goliath Bird Eater, the largest spider. She had a leg span of 12 inches. Her main diet was crickets, but would also eat toads, mice and young rats. She really loved toads, which would have been a normal part of her diet in the wild, since they live in the wetlands of South America.
yup she's pretty but i wouldn't want her. what would happen if she bit you?
Nothing would really happen to you, other than the bite being painful. They do have venom, but it is not strong enough to kill you or even make you sick. However, some people could have an allergic reaction to a bite, if they are prone to such reactions, like people who are allergic to bee stings. In all the years I had tarantulas, about 20 years, I was never bitten. I would still like to have them, but with my cats, it would be impossible, unless I had the extra space and could put the tarantulas in their own room.

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mbjerkness

lol

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually.. a while back when I was staying in NH for a while I stopped at this nice pet store ((well it looked nice.. but they had Puppy Mill Puppies there
)) and I was walking down the isle with the spiders... i like to look at pet/pet store spiders but ill never hold or touch them... and I came across this teeny container that was all set up for something... i looked everywhere inside it but couldnt find the thing. Well my aunt had to point it out.. it was a Teeny Tiny red kneed T that was about the size of a dime!! I hate spiders but i have to say.. i fell in love with the freakin creep
!! i really wanted to take it home too!!

Although your spider is a beauty all right.

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AmberThe Bobcat

I would still like to have them, but with my cats, it would be impossible, unless I had the extra space and could put the tarantulas in their own room.
I was sitting here thinking to myself... "why wouldnt he be able to have spiders with cats.. i have 2 rats and a bird AND 3 cats" then it hit me and I just remembered ((by looking at your siggy)) that you had big Cats too!!

Im so slow

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I pick her up to place her in a smaller container when I clean her main one.
She has never bitten me, although, their bites are like wasp stings, nothing to worry over unless you have allergies.

Unlike most animals, a spider's body language is very easy to read, so I just avoid touching her if she is on the hunt, or if she postures.

G.rosea are also a very docile species, they are more likely to kick urtricating hairs at you than they are to bite, and they'll only defend, as a species they are not prone to aggression.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
kick hairs? like throw javelins?

What do their excretements look like.......

This is fascinating, but I'll never ever ever ever ever get more than this close to one.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renovia

kick hairs? like throw javelins?

What do their excretements look like.......

This is fascinating, but I'll never ever ever ever ever get more than this close to one.
Well, urticating hairs are a defense mechanism of new world tarantula species.
wiki has a great article on it here

As for the excrement, it looks like the excrement of most any small predator, fecal matter, urates (the white stuff) and indigestible parts of prey deposited in a lump.
She usually leaves this in one corner of her box, very clean animal.

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am terrified of spiders this is as close as Ive ever been to one that big and as close as I ever care to be

When we see them in the house I scream until DH comes to save me or I call my mom if hes not home she lives about 5 minutes down the hill

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is lovely! Spiders are such amazing animals. She looks like she is loved

As for the roaches keith p, are they the giant hissing roaches? Those are very cool!