I finally changed cat foods! Yikes! So expensive please tell me it's worth it!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I finally decided to start feeding the cats the "really good stuff". Before I was feeding them a food you can get from WM, but I wanted something with less filler and junk in it.

I now use Nutro (light) for adult cats. My two males are a bit over weight and I wanted something with less calories so I went with the light version. It's the big bag and is $22 a bag!
If I buy 10 bags I get the 11 for free. I do the same with dog food, but I use Nutro Ultra.

Someone please tell me the money is worth it in the end and I made the right choice!!! I'm a college student so it's not like I have money to spare. I have to cut back on my own food expenses now!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is feeding someone you love a healthy, high quality diet ever NOT worth the money?

I feed mine a mix of Royal Canin and Nature's Variety Raw Instinct, which are both more expensive than Nutro - at least in my area. For the RC, a 15 pound bag is roughly $30 give or take a couple of bucks, and the NV is about $22 for a 12 pound bag.

My cats are all young (under 3 y/o,) but so far, they are all extremely healthy and their coats are fantastic.

consumerkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You definitely took a big step up in quality. As a college student I know it's hard to make ends meet so I applaud you for buying better quality food for your pets!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ConsumerKitty

You definitely took a big step up in quality. As a college student I know it's hard to make ends meet so I applaud you for buying better quality food for your pets!
Thank you!!! It's so easy to feed the dog good quality food because he's a tiny little thing that eats like a bird. But the cats are a whole other story! Three good sized cats! Man oh man!

The oldest is 2 years old so I'm hoping that everthing works out and I started soon enough!!!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

For the RC, a 15 pound bag is roughly $30 give or take a couple of bucks
I hate hearing about US prices, I really do. Here, at the best deal I can find, a 10kg (22lb) bag of RC is £41 - which is something like $80.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I note a huge difference in health with higher end foods... Hopefully youll get lucky and theyll eat a bit less

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

I hate hearing about US prices, I really do. Here, at the best deal I can find, a 10kg (22lb) bag of RC is £41 - which is something like $80.
Oh my gosh that is aweful!!!!
I hope your wages are better than ours!!!!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I note a huge difference in health with higher end foods... Hopefully youll get lucky and theyll eat a bit less
Sharky has a point. Usually they eat less of a quality food since they don't need to eat as much to get the nutrition their body needs. I've noticed a big change in quantity since I started feeding Orijen.

BTW - one bag of Orijen costs me almost $50 and each 5 oz. can of Merrick's costs me $1.69 plus 5% GST (tax) and 8% PST (another tax). But they are worth every penny to me and are healthy.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Laura, that's CRAZY!!!

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Nutro is good. You might try Authority from Petsmart. It's about $18 for a approx. 20lb bag. About 1 1/2 months ago, I started feeding Whisky Natures Variety Raw Diet. A 3 lb bag of medallions is about $12. I priced it out and it is cheaper than Authority AND Felidae(which is another great food). BTW, I feed him wet food as his teeth are pretty bad.

I second the notion that the more expensive rounds out in price to the cheaper stuff since they don't eat as much.

smokiethecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think most of the cats on this site eat better than most
people
Maybe our cats will outlive us..ha.
Nutro is a good food and its reasonably priced compared to
others of same quality,plus you will slowly notice that they
will not eat as much....so it will help balance it out. My vet
said if you can't afford the 'premiums' that Purina One is a
good choice.

Welcome from another Iowan! Dont you just love our weather
right now...ugh.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got mine onto better food and I noticed 2 things almost immediately: their coats were more shiny and they had less poops. Yes, it costs me a fortune to feed all of mine but they are worth every penny (IMHO).

beturtlement

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ever since joining this forum, I've become a bit of a cat food snob. I see those commercials for the grocery store brands and I turn up my nose and usually make some sort of comment.. it's horrible. :p

For me, it's /totally/ worth feeding my baby a high quality diet, and YES, he definitely eats better than we do. His body condition is excellent, his coat is super silky w/ a mirror-like shine (even the vet commented on his condition). He loves his food and I love what's in it.

Luckily, there's a non-chain, privately owned pet store very close to me that has very good prices. Most of their canned foods (including Merrick, Nat. Balance, Nutro, EVO, Innova, Cal. Natural, Felidae, etc.) are .65 to .89 cents a can, /at the most/, and their larger bags of food are anywhere from $10 to $22, depending on brand; Nutro being the least pricey of the quality drys. When I see the prices others are paying, I think retailers should be ashamed for overcharging like that as it makes people less likely to feed their pets better.

raggiekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beturtlement

Ever since joining this forum, I've become a bit of a cat food snob. I see those commercials for the grocery store brands and I turn up my nose and usually make some sort of comment.. it's horrible. :p

For me, it's /totally/ worth feeding my baby a high quality diet, and YES, he definitely eats better than we do. His body condition is excellent, his coat is super silky w/ a mirror-like shine (even the vet commented on his condition). He loves his food and I love what's in it.

Luckily, there's a non-chain, privately owned pet store very close to me that has very good prices. Most of their canned foods (including Merrick, Nat. Balance, Nutro, EVO, Innova, Cal. Natural, Felidae, etc.) are .65 to .89 cents a can, /at the most/, and their larger bags of food are anywhere from $10 to $22, depending on brand; Nutro being the least pricey of the quality drys. When I see the prices others are paying, I think retailers should be ashamed for overcharging like that as it makes people less likely to feed their pets better.
Which food are you feeding that you like so well?

beturtlement

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RaggieKitty

Which food are you feeding that you like so well?
Meep, I didn't realize I went off on my tangent and never mentioned it.
Niko eats mostly California Natural Chicken and Brown Rice wet (half a can morning/evening), with a little EVO dry set out overnight. He also gets Nutro Natural Choice in the poultry flavors, occasionally, if I can't get to my usual store.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I thought the same thing
I pay $43.95us for 4kg/8lb. Eagle pack is even more at $42us for only 6.5lbs.