Questions about moving to an apt with our 3 cats.

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I have 3 feliway defusers/ spray for the carpeting for animal oders and in case any previous animal residents had fleas. (Plus have kept our 3 on Revolution every 2-3 months since the fleas we had last summer....and will do every month for a few months after we make the move later this spring.)
Is there anything else I can do to help our guys make the transition smoothly?
I`m not too worried about 2 of them, as they are fairly laid back....but Toby has been in this home with us since he was a 6 week old kitten and was dropped off on our front porch. Although he is the Alpha in our group, he`s also the one that is afraid of strangers and hates when I even move the funriture around. I`m concerned about his adjustment.
I am planning on keeping all the cats here with me at the house until I have finished moving (and hopefully gotten the apt somewhat settled)and finished cleaning the house from top to bottom....then we`ll move the gang, litter box, cat trees, thier dishes etc. on the last trip. (Aprox 10 min drive to the apt) Also letting people know not to stop by that evening to visit....so that it`s just us and the "boys" hanging out quietly in the new invironment.
Any info and input would be helpful. Toby is NOT going to like this move!
Linda

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'll move this to care and grooming

Feliway diffusers and spray, and a bottle of Bachs rescue remedy. I sprayed their carriers and blankets with it 30 minutes before we left, plugged the diffusers straight in, and the rescue remedy i got when Jack came home, but it really helped

ryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Your plan sounds fine to me. I've moved with cats several times and never had any problems. They just check out the apartment (It's too cute actually, they spread around in a formation and "secure the perimeter" making quiet contact sounds, just like a swat team.
). In a couple of hours you would think they've lived there forever. Toby may be nervous at first, but I'm quite sure Feliway, the old furniture, his friends and you will make it a home for him in no time at all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies....and words of encouragment!
I have feliway defusers for the apt....and a Feliway spray for their carrier to keep them calm for the transfer....is that the same thing?
I sure hope Toby does`nt have fits.....(the other 2 should adjust nicely)....I just hope he does`nt hide out under the bed for a week!
Should I give them full run of the apt right away after showing them thier litter and where their food and water will be....or should I confine them to a certain area for awhile? (As in closing off the bedrooms?) That would give them the run of the liv/din, kit and hallway...and of course the bathroom.
Linda

ryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stampit3d

Should I give them full run of the apt right away after showing them thier litter and where their food and water will be....or should I confine them to a certain area for awhile?
IMO keep the door closed at first and let them explore when they want to. My kitties always want to see the whole place at once, they can't stand secret rooms.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ryn

making quiet contact sounds, just like a swat team.
Rosie meowed a lot downstairs when i was putting things away upstairs, and i remember looking over the stair rail saying "I'm up here pumpkin!", and as soon as she heard where i was she came running up

Originally Posted by stampit3d

Should I give them full run of the apt right away after showing them thier litter and where their food and water will be....or should I confine them to a certain area for awhile?
I kept them in the bedroom until everyone had left. They didn't really want to come out anyway with the removal company and friends being there, but once the house was quiet i opened their door and they came slowly down to explore, and by the next day they were well settled in

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Rosie....I`m hoping and praying that ours adjust that quickly too!
Linda

errantrogue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I moved about two months ago to an apartment about 25 minutes away. I made three trips to move smaller boxes in my car and I took the cats, their litter box, and some toys. I stuck them in the den while I was bringing boxes in and let them out while I unpacked. I think this helped them get used to the new place because it wasn't totally unfamiliar to them. I think I may have fed them at the new place once.

ooomisseooo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They should adapt just fine. Check this out...I adopted Myla the middle of December and I had to move to a lower level condo because of my mom's medical condition when she arrives home. This move took place just a couple of weeks ago. I was soooo worried about how Myla would react to this just after she's FINALLY started to relax.
Well, come moving day...she was unbelievably good! And that night when I brought Myla to her new home/environment.....she was excited! YAY bigger place plus the view of ducks! It MAYBE took her 5 min to adjust.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The important thing is to have plenty of familiar smells move along with them.

I moved into an apartment that I KNOW had pets in it previously. I shampooed the carpets before moving in. I have a few rugs of my own that I took over from the old place without vacuuming them first. A bit gross, yes, but when I laid them on the floors at the new place, again, they smelled like HOME to the kits.

Also, on my way out of my old place, I kept the sheets from my bed out and put them back on my bed in the new place without washing them first - so they smelled like home for at least the first few days.

I really think doing these things made a difference for the cats in easing into the new place.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We moved with 4 Cats to here. It was over a 2 Hour Drive and was over 100 here. One of my Cats hid for days. We bought them all in a Bedroom at first then started letting them out. Everything is fine now but we are going to Move again but to a House. We plan on getting a House by Summer. I hope it goes well for you.

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, i`d planned on steam cleaning all my overstuffed furniture and area rugs adain just before we got ready to make the move....but I`m recosidering now and am going top wait for a bit till after we have moved....just so the cats can have thier smells....I had`nt actually given that a thought. GREAT IDEA! I want them to feel as at home as possible!
Thanks for the idea!
Linda