Do you believe in De-clawing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

just1cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just curious where people stand on this issue.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
3. This website considers declawing a drastic way to curb cat behavior. A painful ordeal for your kitty we would suggest that declawing never be considered for any behavioral issue. Health issues are entirely different. It is up to you as a responsible pet owner to explore all the different options available instead of declawing. Your cat is dependant on you to make wise choices for her, and not put her into any more stress or discomfort. Please be a responsible pet owner and research this subject thoroughly. Understand that if you are pro-declaw in your posts, you will encounter opposition. Please learn more about alternatives for declawing here in our forums as well as on our website itself. Declaw - More than Just a Manicure. Hopefully those of you with claw-related problems will find solutions by spending time in our Behavior Forum.

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=155451

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn't make sense to me. There are SO many other ways to keep your cat from scratching up your things, without having to resort to surgery! It's total overkill, like blowing up a building to fix a dripping sink.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
People in almost every country in the world where declawing is illegal manage to get by, and don't feel a need to try and make it legal. I don't see why it can't be done in the last few draconian countries.

areias

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not at all! I was a vet assistant for a few months and I despised declawing. The vets wanted me to push it so it would make more money for the clinic-but cleaning up those little kitty fingers-ugh. They used the dog nail clippers...the guillotine kind...and just go *snap* *snap* *snap* on the bone, disgusting.

And this is coming from someone who dosen't mind docking and cropping dogs.

stormchickx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I certainly don't approve of it and think it is dangerous and cruel. I have outdoor cats and would never subject them to that kind of vulnerability. If Jake or Max were declawed I'd never let them outside, ever, cause there are a lot of dogs that run loose in the area that could hurt them, and they would have no way to defend themselves short of biting them, and even then, that's not enough.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not believe in it. My Aunt did it to her Cat and she fell and almost died because she had nothing to grab on too. I think its a terrible thing to do.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

People in almost every country in the world where declawing is illegal manage to get by, and don't feel a need to try and make it legal. I don't see why it can't be done in the last few draconian countries.
Just what I was going to say

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am also against it. Before I got my boys I had never had a cat. I was still against it on principle, but when I began to consider adopting a cat I did look into it because I was scared of the claws and being scratched. The most time I had spent with cats was with my sister's front-declawed boys (which was done before they were adopted by their original owners). I had been around 2 sweet kitties who had their claws and had no problems (except for the one who liked to dig into my jeans when he was sitting on my lap!), but this was different because I didn't take care of them; I just visited them.

When I looked at what the surgery entailed and actual pictures I realized I couldn't do that to an animal. It's mutilation amd it's horrible. My sister's kitties seem to be fine, but I worry about them getting arthritis when they get older.

So, I adopted my first cat knowing that he would have his claws, but I was still scared of them. Then I heard that you could actually clip their nails, so I tried that. It's not scary and it works fine for me, even if the boys aren't exactly thrilled by it. Living with a cat who has its claws is no longer scary.

The only time I would ever consider a declaw would be if there was something wrong with the claw/toe itself; like a chronic medical problem. But then only one claw would be removed, not all of them. This would be the same as amputating a leg because it's so broken it cannot be fixed. Still, it would not be a decision made lightly.

Having my own cats has made me much more strongly against declawing than I was previously.

Tricia

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to vote "if it is needed." While I don't believe in declawing for owner convenience, there are times when it is medically necessary to remove one or more claws. I'm on a group that recently had a cat with a deformed claw. Declawing that toe was the best possible medical decision for the cat's well-being. The alternative was a constant risk of infection due to the claw growing into the pad because of the deformity.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I voted no, because I dont think it should be done for conveinence either. However, before I knew better I did declaw BooBoo, it was the worst thing I have ever gone through and it was worse for him! Seeing him like that darn near killed me! Not able to walk, lying in his own pee/poop, wrapped in huge bandages, crying! I layed with them in their carrier (they couldn't get out because they couldn't walk) and I cried, and I cried. However, if it was medically necessary that would be different. BooBoo has a bad leg that I accidently broke when he was a baby, and if it becomes too much more bothersome the vet said we could remove it! Which if necessary to make him more comfortable, would be okay. So for medical purposes Im okay with it!

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
there are always exceptions to the rules but generally speaking...

no way.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here in the UK we just accept that cats come with claws. If you don't want to risk anything getting scratched you don't get a cat.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO, declawing is a nicer term for mutilation. No way do I believe it is needed. I do wonder why I never see anything out in the real world against it. I see spay/neuter signs but this mutilation just seems so widely accepted, people have stopped questioning it. The only place to get info is on the internet and then only if one is looking for it.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, not just for a matter of convenience or fear of having your furniture scratched! There are other options and I think it's very cruel! However, if it were medically necessary I'd say yes. When Jake was still alive and the first time he got sick, his toes were all pus filled and infected and we almost had to have him declawed. But luckily that part of his illness cleared up and never came back. So the only time I'd say yes is if the vet said we need to do this or your cat could die or be in constant pain.

2furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
NO!!! My female persian had been declawed before I got her. Her little paws literally look like stubs. Also... many don't realize that declawing can sometimes cause litterbox issues down the road. Believe me... not a pretty thing to deal with...

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Areias

Not at all! I was a vet assistant for a few months and I despised declawing. The vets wanted me to push it so it would make more money for the clinic-but cleaning up those little kitty fingers-ugh. They used the dog nail clippers...the guillotine kind...and just go *snap* *snap* *snap* on the bone, disgusting.

And this is coming from someone who dosen't mind docking and cropping dogs.
How is docking and cropping OK but declawing isn't? I mean, docking can't even be justified by the destruction excuse that so many use for declawing?!

Originally Posted by saya

there are always exceptions to the rules but generally speaking...

no way.
Generally I say NO unless there is a MEDICAL need for it.

quill_luv

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No, for all of the reasons stated above, unless it's medically necessary. Cats have claws and they need them, we shouldn't take them away.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I absolutely do NOT believe in de-clawing. None of my cats will ever be de-clawed. I even have the adopters of my foster cats sign a contract stating that the cat they adopt will never be de-clawed.

Status
Not open for further replies.