can someone explain softpaws

blondrebel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I looked it up, but i am still unsure of the product. Can someone explain how it works and if its safe. I am interested because my mom and grandmother are diabetic so scratches dont heal like they should, declawing has never been an option there but i would like to do something to make their life with spidey a little easier. It looks like the softpaws keeps their nails from retracting, wouldnt that be uncomfortable?

yayas_mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She likes to attack my other female, so hot pink softpaws were the way to go. Once she'd had them on a couple days she stopped trying to remove them constantly. It's just little rubber tips that cover the tip of the nail. I don't know about the discomfort factor though?

Originally Posted by blondrebel76

I looked it up, but i am still unsure of the product. Can someone explain how it works and if its safe. I am interested because my mom and grandmother are diabetic so scratches dont heal like they should, declawing has never been an option there but i would like to do something to make their life with spidey a little easier. It looks like the softpaws keeps their nails from retracting, wouldnt that be uncomfortable?

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried just clipping Spidey's claws. If you do it every week or two (depending on the cat) then the claws aren't generally sharp enough to scratch.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

Have you tried just clipping Spidey's claws. If you do it every week or two (depending on the cat) then the claws aren't generally sharp enough to scratch.
i guess it would depend on how delicate the skin is... i know as we age our skin gets thinner & much more easily torn.
anyway, the softpaws don't completely keep the claws from retracting, altho i think they don't go as far back as normally. not really sure, since if they don't have them on, i can't see their claws, since they pretty much match their paw fur. here's a couple of pix where you can see Java's & Cable's.
Java:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...Javasclaws.jpg
Cable:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...Cablestoes.jpg

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Ollie wears them and does just fine... they're just little plastic caps, you put a little glue in them and put them on the nail - his nails still retract just fine and the caps fall off as the nail naturally sheds... I get mine on ebay cuz they're much cheaper there... they're a good alternative to declawing which I'd never do

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh thank you for starting this thread!

Cali's softpaws just came today and I have NO clue how to use them. All it says basically is to clip your cats claws and then put them on with the glue. Do you have to cut them to fit or anything? How far back do they have to go on, to the end of the cats claw or about halfway on the claw? I feel so lost and I don't want to hurt her because it's going to be a chore just getting them on her, since she hates having her nails clipped.
Ugh, can anyone show me how far to put them on the cats nail?
Sorry to
but I am so lost with these things!

petstorejunkie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sofpaws come in several sizes, both dog and cat ones. If you purchased the correct size you shouldnt have to "cut to fit" To apply just fill the sofpaw 1/2 way with glue and slip it on to the nail like a sword and sheath. Flatten out the paw to expose the nail before applying. Once it's on as far as it will go, count to ten and then let go! Tada.

Nanuk came to me declawed
otherwise he'd be sporting some sofpaws too.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie

Sofpaws come in several sizes, both dog and cat ones. If you purchased the correct size you shouldnt have to "cut to fit" To apply just fill the sofpaw 1/2 way with glue and slip it on to the nail like a sword and sheath. Flatten out the paw to expose the nail before applying. Once it's on as far as it will go, count to ten and then let go! Tada.

Nanuk came to me declawed
otherwise he'd be sporting some sofpaws too.
I got Cali the medium ones, although she is small for her weight. It said to get medium ones for a cat her weight so that's what we have. Like I said before, she doesn't like people messing around with her paws, so we'll see how it goes.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been using them for years, litterally since they hit the shelves.
My two clawed cats have never had any issues with them.

With the first application, cats will generally try to remove them, which is normal, but they get used to them quickly and no longer even notice them.
The claws still fully retract and work as normal.

I buy mine here, they are cheap, have a variety of sizes and colors, and shipping is free, plus, they always throw in a free cat toy

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Originally Posted by Arlyn

I've been using them for years, litterally since they hit the shelves.
My two clawed cats have never had any issues with them.

With the first application, cats will generally try to remove them, which is normal, but they get used to them quickly and no longer even notice them.
The claws still fully retract and work as normal.

I buy mine here, they are cheap, have a variety of sizes and colors, and shipping is free, plus, they always throw in a free cat toy
THAT'S WHERE I GET MINE TOO!

I think I had posted the link to them sometime on here somewhere lol... Ollie loves the free mouse toy