TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › can someone explain softpaws
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

can someone explain softpaws

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
I looked it up, but i am still unsure of the product. Can someone explain how it works and if its safe. I am interested because my mom and grandmother are diabetic so scratches dont heal like they should, declawing has never been an option there but i would like to do something to make their life with spidey a little easier. It looks like the softpaws keeps their nails from retracting, wouldnt that be uncomfortable?
post #2 of 10
She likes to attack my other female, so hot pink softpaws were the way to go. Once she'd had them on a couple days she stopped trying to remove them constantly. It's just little rubber tips that cover the tip of the nail. I don't know about the discomfort factor though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondrebel76 View Post
I looked it up, but i am still unsure of the product. Can someone explain how it works and if its safe. I am interested because my mom and grandmother are diabetic so scratches dont heal like they should, declawing has never been an option there but i would like to do something to make their life with spidey a little easier. It looks like the softpaws keeps their nails from retracting, wouldnt that be uncomfortable?
post #3 of 10
Have you tried just clipping Spidey's claws. If you do it every week or two (depending on the cat) then the claws aren't generally sharp enough to scratch.
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN View Post
Have you tried just clipping Spidey's claws. If you do it every week or two (depending on the cat) then the claws aren't generally sharp enough to scratch.
i guess it would depend on how delicate the skin is... i know as we age our skin gets thinner & much more easily torn.
anyway, the softpaws don't completely keep the claws from retracting, altho i think they don't go as far back as normally. not really sure, since if they don't have them on, i can't see their claws, since they pretty much match their paw fur. here's a couple of pix where you can see Java's & Cable's.
Java:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...Javasclaws.jpg
Cable:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...Cablestoes.jpg
post #5 of 10
Ollie wears them and does just fine... they're just little plastic caps, you put a little glue in them and put them on the nail - his nails still retract just fine and the caps fall off as the nail naturally sheds... I get mine on ebay cuz they're much cheaper there... they're a good alternative to declawing which I'd never do
post #6 of 10
Oh thank you for starting this thread!
Cali's softpaws just came today and I have NO clue how to use them. All it says basically is to clip your cats claws and then put them on with the glue. Do you have to cut them to fit or anything? How far back do they have to go on, to the end of the cats claw or about halfway on the claw? I feel so lost and I don't want to hurt her because it's going to be a chore just getting them on her, since she hates having her nails clipped. Ugh, can anyone show me how far to put them on the cats nail?
Sorry to but I am so lost with these things!
post #7 of 10
Sofpaws come in several sizes, both dog and cat ones. If you purchased the correct size you shouldnt have to "cut to fit" To apply just fill the sofpaw 1/2 way with glue and slip it on to the nail like a sword and sheath. Flatten out the paw to expose the nail before applying. Once it's on as far as it will go, count to ten and then let go! Tada.

Nanuk came to me declawed otherwise he'd be sporting some sofpaws too.
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
Sofpaws come in several sizes, both dog and cat ones. If you purchased the correct size you shouldnt have to "cut to fit" To apply just fill the sofpaw 1/2 way with glue and slip it on to the nail like a sword and sheath. Flatten out the paw to expose the nail before applying. Once it's on as far as it will go, count to ten and then let go! Tada.

Nanuk came to me declawed otherwise he'd be sporting some sofpaws too.
I got Cali the medium ones, although she is small for her weight. It said to get medium ones for a cat her weight so that's what we have. Like I said before, she doesn't like people messing around with her paws, so we'll see how it goes.
post #9 of 10
I've been using them for years, litterally since they hit the shelves.
My two clawed cats have never had any issues with them.

With the first application, cats will generally try to remove them, which is normal, but they get used to them quickly and no longer even notice them.
The claws still fully retract and work as normal.

I buy mine here, they are cheap, have a variety of sizes and colors, and shipping is free, plus, they always throw in a free cat toy
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlyn View Post
I've been using them for years, litterally since they hit the shelves.
My two clawed cats have never had any issues with them.

With the first application, cats will generally try to remove them, which is normal, but they get used to them quickly and no longer even notice them.
The claws still fully retract and work as normal.

I buy mine here, they are cheap, have a variety of sizes and colors, and shipping is free, plus, they always throw in a free cat toy
THAT'S WHERE I GET MINE TOO!
I think I had posted the link to them sometime on here somewhere lol... Ollie loves the free mouse toy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Care & Grooming
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › can someone explain softpaws