Your favorite Required Reading in School

zao_cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was just wondering what books you actually enjoyed in school.

In high school I really liked Lord of the Flies and how to kill a mockingbird.

In college I really liked Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Bookseller of Kabul!!!!

I absolutely loved that book. It's about a woman who lived with a family in the middle east. It explains in great detail what it's like to be a woman in the middle east and be supressed. (they had to wear burkas in that area)

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I liked Lord of the Flies, Bridge to Terabithia, and The Things They Carried. I read an excerpt of The Things They Carried in college, and liked it so much, bought the whole book. It's a really good book about US soldiers in Vietnam. I don't know if it's based on real soldiers though, but it's still a really well written book. They even made a movie on one of the "chatpers", A Soldier's Sweetheart.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been a while since school, but what comes to mind is the Good Earth (forget who wrote it) and Lancelot and Elaine from Idylls of the King (Alfred Lord Tennyson). That one caused me to get and read (multiple times) the entire Idylls. I also loved Lord of the Flies and Jane Eyre.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde, The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James, and the Great Gatsby, of course.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hated all of the books that we were forced to read in school: Mice and Men; Crime and Punishment and some others. I doubt I would hate them today, but I have no interest in revisiting them.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jane Eyre was good, so was The Good Earth, A day in the life of Ivan Denisovich (it might go by another title, but that is how I remember it), and The Three Musketeers. I hated Lord of the Flies and also A Tale of Two Cities.

tigerlord

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

Jane Eyre was good, so was The Good Earth, A day in the life of Ivan Denisovich (it might go by another title, but that is how I remember it), and The Three Musketeers. I hated Lord of the Flies and also A Tale of Two Cities.
Lord of the Flies still hunts me as one of the most boring book my mind has ever been tortured with.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TigerLord

Lord of the Flies still hunts me as one of the most boring book my mind has ever been tortured with.
Exactly...not only it is torture to read it, then you go to class and spend an hour dissecting its every possible meaning for about a month

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I LOVED reading Catcher in the Rye and Ender's Game. I only took English until 10th grade, then I took Science Fiction as an English elective my junior year. I was too busy with art and design classes by senior year to bother with English.

I liked A Clockwork Orange too but it was more of an elected reading then required. I still love that book/movie.

ryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lord of the Flies seems to divide opinion. Personally, I loved it. What I did hate was some 19th century Finnish realists, bleak and boring. Maybe I might find something interestig in them now.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I loved To Kill a Mockingbird and Macbeth. I can still quote Macbeth when I am in the mood.