Things to do with a 4 year old?

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
I'm not very experienced with kids, but somehow I became real good friend with my nephew (who just turned 4).

For Christmas this year, I gave him an invitation to come spend a whole day with me. That day will probably be this Saturday. He will be bringing some toys (I don't have any around here) so I suppose we'll spend a lot of time racing cars on the floor.

Still, I'd like to have some suggestions of games we could play. Any ideas?
He loves cars, trains and things like that. He also plays board games (that are appropriate for his age) and puzzles. We might also go play outside (if the weather is nice)
I'd like to do something a little special too but I can't think of anything.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Build a fort.
Old blankets over chairs where you can crawl under is always a hit with little boys.

How about crayons and a coloring book. My boys were always fascinated with dinosaurs. Maybe create your own dinosaur.

I don't know if he is staying for lunch but an idea there is make your own pizzas. Let him put the cheese or what ever you have on hand for his pizza. We always used crescent rolls as the crust and let the boys make their own.

Whatever you decide it will be a blast!

zao_cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by snosrap5

Build a fort.
Old blankets over chairs where you can crawl under is always a hit with little boys.

How about crayons and a coloring book.

All of my little cousins and nieces love to color! Also, if he likes trucks you could go outside (if it's not too cold) and make a little town. I used to do that in the dirt with all of my little matchbox cars.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most little kids love to make things like rice crispie squares ,cookies, play dough is always a favorite, there are lost of recipes for play dough on line it's cheap and easy he can color it any color he wants.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
those are great ideas! thanks.

I especially like the idea of building a fort. That was one of my favorite thing to do when I was a kid. Plus, I don't really have a proper dinner table, so we could just eat in the fort.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Colored posterboard, some pretty plastic beads and buttons, brightly-colored cord or twine, and Elmer's Glue. Cover your table with newspaper and let him make a great big mess -- I mean, a great big piece of ART for his mom!

How I envy you... I remember when my nephew was four years old. All I had to do was make him an origami bird or string him a bracelet of wooden beads, and he thought I'd hung the moon...

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Play dough is great fun - at that age it is also good to eat

Also, some noodles and rice, construction paper, elmer's glue...all mostly edible and not very harmful

If he needs some quiet time, you could read to him...that is a great thing to do for a kid...it helps with education and imagination soooo much!!!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Finger paint?
There's not much that is messier then that, so he'll probably love it.

raggiekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

give it back to the mother and father
Oh, you're bad!!!

A 4 yr old is so much fun, I loved when my kids were this age...they really start talking to you...
If all else fails...ask him! He will be full of ideas

I say build the fort, play in there a while. Make the pizzas for lunch. Put on some music and dance. Get lots of active moving stuff done and then settle down for a good movie or reading time.

Above all...Enjoy it!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Play-Doh!
My boys loved (and still do) Play-Doh when they were that age

The fort thing is good too.

Macarooni Tamborine's are the coolest!

Take 2 paperplates, put some uncooked dry macarooni noodles inbetween them and staple them together.. Deacon is 6 and still plays with his

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any kind of messy craft is good. Since he loves trains, is there a model train group near that has a whole setup? Do you live near a small airport where you can watch the planes?
For lunch, you could also take him for a "big boy" lunch at someplace not fast food that caters to kids, like a Red Robbin, Denny's, Chilies, etc.
You can put on some cds and sing and dance goofy-style.
You will sleep well Sat. night! Maybe in that tent.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Foam stickers (from the craft store or Dollar Tree). Not terribly messy, and my daughter can peel and stick and color the pic that she is sticking them on- forever!

May I suggest a back up- a (parent approved
) video! You may need a 30 min. break and some quiet time, lol
(I have a 4 year old
) .