Just saw my hospital bills!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I logged onto my health insurance website to see if they'd started processing the charges for my heart surgery.

The main hospital bill is $235,383.90
I know it's covered by my insurance company, and I paid a $200 deductible when I checked in, so I assume I won't be up for anything else...

Other charges for radiology, pathology etc. so far have been billed for about $1500, and it looks I'll be paying about $230 of that - I think once again there's a $200 deductible.

The bill from going to the ER isn't showing yet.

I can't wait to see what the final amount charged is!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I added in the c section bills, and it's $325,000 in the last 6 months.

Of the $90,000 or whatever it was from the c section, Cigna only actually paid about $30,000. It's all just funny money.... I'm sure they wil only pay a fraction of what's billed after the negotiated amount.

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, illnesses are expensive! My grandma was in an ICU for several months and after several surgeries, the bill was half a million dollars. Fortunately she had good insurance.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I added in the c section bills, and it's $325,000 in the last 6 months.

Of the $90,000 or whatever it was from the c section, Cigna only actually paid about $30,000. It's all just funny money.... I'm sure they wil only pay a fraction of what's billed after the negotiated amount.
If they are contracted with eachother, they only have to pay a certain amount, and the rest is a write off. Thats how it is here when I do the billing for the clinic- we are contracted with many companies for mental health & a lot of them only pay a certain amount & the rest is written off.

Its crazy to see how much things like that cost though! Imagine having all that done with no insurance!

tigerlord

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

That alones proves beyond the shadow of a doubt how ****** up the US Health system is. The fact you can even negotiate your health bill like it was merchandise is totally crazy.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Far out Brussels sprout! I would have needed new underwear after seeing that bill!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OH MY GOD!!!! My SO doesn't even have insurance right now because his job messed up and told him and a bunch of other employees the wrong thing. I just pray to god nothing happens to him before he can get his benefits!!!!!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've got my explanation of benefits from Blue Cross in the mail yesterday. For my hysterectomy and one day in the hospital - the raw, unnegotiated cost was nearly $30K!!!! 75 percent of that was hospital charges. The anesthesiologist charged more than the surgeon, who did the actual difficult part!!! Holy
' crap!

Yes, my portion will be manageable b/c I have excellent coverage but I reiterate - hfc! (see above). And of course, the insurance company will get even with me by hiking my premiums by some obscene, ridiculous amount.

This does NOT include the Emergency Room visit and four=plus days I spent back in the hospital with a raging abdominal infection!! The surgeon admitted me and checked on me either by phone or in person every day. I wonder what his charges will be versus the hospital.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The health insurance system is crazy. I'm just sooooooo glad I am lucky enough to have a hubby who works for a good employer!!!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ouch, i see my medical bills and i am shocked i dont end up back in the hospital.

i forget what the final bill was for my mother but it was over 2million dollars.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

OMG, I feel silly for worrying about my paltry hip replacement at $70K.
Pfft, that's small change!

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow...and I thought that one time I had to pay like...$40 for an H. Pylorii test, that was unfair and obscene....yikes!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I almost fainted when I saw that loooong trail of numbers!

But then maybe I shouldn't have been so suprised. I think we paid around $800 out of pocket for my eye injury last summer, with the insurance covering like 80%. I'm never getting sick/injured again.