Not a behavior problem but..

mrswrd

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I have a almost 2 year old little girl named Lexi. She loves to play with hair bands. they are the elastic bands that you use for ponytails. There isn't any metal on them.

What she has been doing is taking them and putting them in the food bowls. I have two other cats so there are a couple of bowls and she puts the in them too.

Does anyone have any idea why she is doing this? It's not a problem I am wanting to solve. As a matter of fact, I giggle everytime I see it. Just wondering why she is doing it.
Thanks for any ideas

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I once heard of a cat that collected all the families underpants & put them under a sideboard.

robertm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is not uncommon behavior. I've always thought that they are bringing their "prey"/"kill" back to the safety of their "lair", just like they'd do in the wild. Obviously indoor cats don't actually have a "lair" so to speak, but cats often treat their eating areas as safe sections of their territory.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by RobertM

This is not uncommon behavior. I've always thought that they are bringing their "prey"/"kill" back to the safety of their "lair", just like they'd do in the wild. Obviously indoor cats don't actually have a "lair" so to speak, but cats often treat their eating areas as safe sections of their territory.
That makes a lot more sense than my guess!

Laurie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrswrd

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for answering. It's nice meeting you all. I find them in my bed also but mostly she just stores them in the food bowl. These are her favorite toys of all.
Thanks again
Debbie

orltwa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is amazing what I come home to each day in the water bowl. I've seen it all from the mice to crumpled up pieces of paper to pretty much anything they can fit in their mouth.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrswrd

Thank you for answering. It's nice meeting you all. I find them in my bed also but mostly she just stores them in the food bowl. These are her favorite toys of all.
Thanks again
Debbie
That makes sense in line with the above answer about territory - the safest places which make up a cat's core territory are the eating area and the sleeping area, even if your cat doesn't sleep in your bed herself it will still be considered a safe place to store things, because you sleep there

If my boys have stolen anything I almost always find it either in the food bowl (Radar) or in the bed (Sonic).