TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
PET FOOD: A DOG'S BREAKFAST
Thursday January 24, 2008 at 9pm on CBC-TV
repeating Saturday Janaury 26 at 10pm ET on CBC Newsworld
(check for local times)

http://www.cbc.ca/doczone/dogsbreakfast.html

"In the wake of the scandal...Pet owners and governments are asking: Is pet food both nutritious, and safe? Does it live up to the claims of its makers? Is the industry adequately regulated?...This exposÃ[emoji]169[/emoji] takes viewers inside the world of pet food manufacturing and is essential viewing for every pet owner...As seen in PET FOOD: A DOG'S BREAKFAST, there is a growing call among consumer activists for greater regulation that will bring the pet food industry to heel. Your pet's life may depend on it."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just saw this comment posted on another forum:

"Comcast in western Washington does carry CBC"

Maybe there are others in the US...???

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Supossedly satellites have it ... I will try to find the channel

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is not on our Time Warner cable line up.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It wasn't on my Fios line up. I'm going to keep searching, though. Maybe they'll play it sometime soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This program is being re-broadcast on CBC Thursday May 28...details here.

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for posting, i must have missed it the first go round..

this is an interesting statement
"Dr. Meg Smart, of the Western College of Veterinary Medicine in Saskatoon, says that expensive pet foods labelled 'premium' are often no better or different than cheaper food."

somewhat going along the lines of the consumer reports article that they did on pet foods this past year...

finding the right pet food is exhausting and the recalls are making it downright frightening

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by followedbydolls

Thanks for posting, i must have missed it the first go round..

this is an interesting statement
"Dr. Meg Smart, of the Western College of Veterinary Medicine in Saskatoon, says that expensive pet foods labelled 'premium' are often no better or different than cheaper food."

somewhat going along the lines of the consumer reports article that they did on pet foods this past year...

finding the right pet food is exhausting and the recalls are making it downright frightening
the above is easy to figure out just by a quick label read

recalls happen , just this morning I got 5 separate recalls for HUMAN food that is on top of the 15 from the weekend

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

the above is easy to figure out just by a quick label read

recalls happen , just this morning I got 5 separate recalls for HUMAN food that is on top of the 15 from the weekend
Oh yes, quite true label reading is important. Plus i know recalls in human food are pretty common, just i have been through alot with my cats in the past few years and then adding issues like recalled food is somewhat like the final straw that broke the camels back? kwim

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is on right now.....( for those in EST anyways).

I'm halfway through, and so far it is pretty good, and a couple of great pictorial examples of what goes into your pet food.

tdonline

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Speaking of labels, what to make of meat meals? I see chicken meal, etc. What is the verdict on them? I've got my kitties on Evo, Innova and staring today, Natural Balance. The prices are much higher than the supermarket brands. Are they worth it?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by tdonline

Speaking of labels, what to make of meat meals? I see chicken meal, etc. What is the verdict on them? I've got my kitties on Evo, Innova and staring today, Natural Balance. The prices are much higher than the supermarket brands. Are they worth it?
meal is meat - most fat and water ... ie think beef jerky .. chicken meal is the meat typically eaten by humans and some bone ... 5lbs fresh chicken makes 1 lb of meal ...

IMHO in a dry food I want a meal as it means that after cooking it weighs the same ... ie chicken is 66% water and by wt falls five or six places down the ingredient list ... meal weighs the same

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This program was very interesting. I do have a link to it online if anyone would like to check it out....pm me and I'll send it to you.

One thing I have come to the conclusion of, is if my cats would eat raw, I'd feed it....that way I know exactly what they are eating... but untill then, I will make the best educated decision I can on what to feed my animals.

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I finally got round to watching this. I suppose i am disappointed, i found the info rather conflicting and generally it was confusing on what products they were speaking of.