What do you all think of "backyard cat"?

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you keep it on them long enough I could kinda see them adjusting to it and jumping just fine. Or with my 3 cats they'll figure out how to take the darn thing off anyway.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TabbyTail

http://www.backyardcat.com/?ovmtc=co...did=2588496021

Do you think it's cruel, or okay, or something like invisible fence for dogs? Has anyone ever tried it?
I never let my cats out so I would not be interested. Persi has never been outside in his life and I imagine he would be terrified to ever be outside. Some people DO say these are cruel and I note that they say it is recommended by A vet. One vet? I wonder. Alley was a street cat at one time but she shows not interest at all in ever going back outside again in the year that we have had her. I am a very strong proponent in keeping cats inside. I just saw another squashed cat the other day on the road and it confirmed my convictions.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you want to take your kitty outside, why not just use a harness and leash? That's what we did when we used to take our cats out. Haven't been able to for years, but when we could used harness and leash.

I like Lupine's H-harness for cats the best.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some else posted about this. I think its cruel and what works for a dog, usually does NOT work for a cat. If the cat sees that bird in the next yard - they WILL go after it whether they are shocked or not.

Dogs are more territorial and guard their "home" - cats don't do that so see no reason that the next yard is not included in their wonderings.

I'd never use it on a cat (besides mine are totally indoor cats)

catcaregiver

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Some else posted about this. I think its cruel and what works for a dog, usually does NOT work for a cat. If the cat sees that bird in the next yard - they WILL go after it whether they are shocked or not.
It doesn't shock them. You must be thinking about something else.

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Why not make your own with sand as weight or something? Lol.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

If you want to take your kitty outside, why not just use a harness and leash? .

I don't like the idea to be honest. It may only weigh 1lb but what if they still managed to jump the fence and the weight got caught inbetween it?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes you are right; was thinking it related to that electronic thing. Sorry

I went back and read it - that looks so silly and cats were made for jumping. Why prevent it? Psychologically I think its cruel - maybe not physically. But you have some pretty big and strong cats out there - a pound of weight won't really stop a determined big boy or girl

red scathach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Something about this product seems just wrong in my opinion. I am also against those electric fences as well. We let our older cat Miles outside in a fenced in yard, and used wired overhangs so he cannot manage to climb out. It's not the prettiest thing in the world (in the spring we do let vines and morning glories grow throughout the wires which looks nice), but its a small compromise to make Miles happy (it was either let him outside once in a while or put him on kitty prozac) and keep him safe.