Bea begs you to never declaw!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've waited until today to post this thread.....this is for Bea.

Bea came into the humane society here. Her declaw had been done wrong. Her claws were growing back in. Long story short, there is no way on earth this poor little lady was not in extreme pain, suffering with every step she took. She hardly moved, weighs around 15 pounds.

Thanks to some wonderful donations, Bea's surgery cost was covered. It was determined she needed to be re-declawed.

Tomorrow, this 15 pound beauty goes in to be once again mutilated. She will suffer extensively, there is no sugar-coating that. But she will one day be able to walk again, we can only hope & pray pain free.

Please, Bea begs of you....don't declaw. Don't risk this happening to any other kitties.

Bea goes home right after her surgery....thank goodness a wonderful couple is opening their hearts and home to her.

Think of Bea on Wednesday January 23. Send for a smooth surgery.

sbw999

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good vibes for poor Bea.
I think the vet should be reported. I have no probelm personally with declawing. It sounds like it strikes a good balance with having a cat as a pet versus having the little thang destroy your furniture and parts of the house; thus making compatibility impossible. If done right, it is relatively painless, and healing takes about a month to be pain free. But, poor Bea, id like to strangle that
vet, incompetent

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We don't know who the vet is....she was a stray. It may not have even been an incompetant vet....I've had vets tell me this can happen even with the best vet doing a declaw.

sbw999

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

We don't know who the vet is....she was a stray. It may not have even been an incompetant vet....I've had vets tell me this can happen even with the best vet doing a declaw.
It is sad, though I cannot imagine this happening with a skilled vet. If done right, the declaw procedure removes the digit in which the claw itself grows. Sounds to me like the declaw was done sloppily leaving some of that digit intact. Vets are like any other profession; there are good ones, and then there are bad ones, like the one that declawed little Bea

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sbw999

Good vibes for poor Bea.
I think the vet should be reported. I have no probelm personally with declawing. It sounds like it strikes a good balance with having a cat as a pet versus having the little thang destroy your furniture and parts of the house; thus making compatibility impossible. If done right, it is relatively painless, and healing takes about a month to be pain free. But, poor Bea, id like to strangle that
vet, incompetent
Yes but my pets comfort is more important then my furniture esp when there are scratching posts and Soft Claws. Plus I know of all sorts of clawed and declawed cats living together, that has nothing to do with compatibility. I had a declawed cat living here with 6 clawed cats and do you know who ruled as alpha cat? The declawed one.

Poor Bea though, I hope she recovers well and shame shame shame on that horrible vet that mutilated her. Too be she has to be re-mutilated.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

It is situations like this that really makes me wish declawing was illegal here as it is in civilized countries........
Isn't that crazy how it is illegal everywhere else? I don't understand what the US's problem is. Everywhere else can see the how horrible it is, why can't we? I would love for this to be made illegal. I get so many people who want to give up their cats bc they stopped using the litterbox after being declawed, I just want to smack them on the head for being so stupid.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

Isn't that crazy how it is illegal everywhere else? I don't understand what the US's problem is. Everywhere else can see the how horrible it is, why can't we? I would love for this to be made illegal. I get so many people who want to give up their cats bc they stopped using the litterbox after being declawed, I just want to smack them on the head for being so stupid.
I love my cat far more than I love my furniture. Anyone who would ever deliberately declaw their cat to prevent furniture scratches should have their fingers chopped off.

Lots of for sweet Bea's surgery tomorrow. I hope her recovery isn't too long and painful.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish every Vet in this Country had the attitude that mine does about declawing.
If someone asks to have their cat declawed he tells them "If you want to mutilate your cat, you'll have to go somewhere else because I won't do it."
He then hands them a pamphlet about how cruel it is to declaw a cat turns around and walks into his office...I LOVE that man!!

Sending pain free and loads of Prayers to Bea, she's a beautiful girl.

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you want cat free furniture you could either have a cat free room in your house or train your cat to only scratch certain places. It was your choice to get nice furniture, why does your cat have to pay for it?

BAH!!!

catcaregiver

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Graciecat

I wish every Vet in this Country had the attitude that mine does about declawing.
If someone asks to have their cat declawed he tells them "If you want to mutilate your cat, you'll have to go somewhere else because I won't do it."
He then hands them a pamphlet about how cruel it is to declaw a cat turns around and walks into his office...

Lots of for Bea.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohh Poor Bea!! I made the mistake of getting my first two cats declawed! I had just moved out on my own and found out I was pregnant and my gma told me that they would scratch the baby.... So I listened to her and declawed my babies. They got nuetered at the same time, the nueter never bothered them but the declawing on the other hand is something I wish to never see again! I dont think Ill ever be able to forgive myself for that! They come home lying in there own pee/poop, paws wrapped up in huge bandages, not able to walk or move a muscle! I sat with my babies in their carrier and cried.... Declawing is the most sencless thing Ive ever seen, and my cats ended up scratching the baby anyway, and for that matter so did I! The pain they go through is overwhelming! To say that taking a whole finger off is going to be relativly painless is crazy.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
for Bea's procedure to go well.

Both of my cats are declawed by previous owners. Stimpy is a victim of a newer version of the procedure that takes off even more toe, to prevent regrowth. The poor guy. Nabu can still manipulate objects as he has long toes, but Stimpy has a hard time. Sometimes gets frustrated.
I think all of my cats came from the kind of homes that just automatically declawed when neuter time came. Since moving back to this area, I am much less worried about having to adopt already declawed cats. Landlords are a lot more lenient here.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw what happened to my Aunts Cat because she was declawed. She fell and got a hole in her side because she had nothing to grab on with. It was terrible she could have died. I do not believe in doing it.

tigerlord

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I too don't have serious issues with declawing if done before 4 months old and especially, done properly.

However, as any botched surgeries (and the US is a proud player in keeping this tradition going) the physician should be sued and his practice reviewed. The only way such a simplistic surgery can be improperply done is if it's botched - probably to make as many as he or she can during the day

Sending good vibes and strenght all the way to you little kitty!