Teeth Care...help

sbw999

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I want to clean my cats' teeth, but I am afraid of having them put under anesthesia by a vet for a thorough cleaning, not to mention that no local vet seems to do it for less than $500. There is no particular problem with their teeth; just time to be cleaned.

Is there any good way to clean my cat's teeth by myself??

Thanks!

artsick

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i buy my cats particular treats and dry food which are meant to be good for their teeth. they have nice clean teeth, and i'm assuming it's due to the food i give them. try and find a good cat food that is supportive of their health, coat, and teeth. i'd ask the vet what they recommend, but always read the ingredients first.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know how old your kitties are, but if they're between 5 and 10 years old and in good health, then what you may want to consider doing is - if you can afford it - having the vet do the teeth cleaning and then beginning the maintenance. It's just like with people - I brush twice a day and floss twice a day - but each year I still need to get my teeth cleaned by a pro. Cats get that build-up too.

We have one kitty prone to plaque problems - we get her teeth done every year since she was two years old. We brush her teeth (she loves it) and give her special treats - but she still lost two teeth at five year old.

The vet can do "pre-anesthetic" testing to make sure there won't be a negative reaction to the anesthesia.

As artsick pointed out, there are special treats to help remove plaque from cats' teeth.

Do you brush your cats? Do they like to have their cheeks brushed? This is how we started - by brushing their faces with a regular brush. When they came to absolutely love it, we then used the toothbrush on the outside of their mouths. Spooky, the one with the plaque problem LOVED it - and would chew on the brush. So we just started brushing her teeth and massaging her gums with the baby tooth brush, and she just purrs and purrs and purrs.

Laurie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sbw999

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

I don't know how old your kitties are, but if they're between 5 and 10 years old and in good health, then what you may want to consider doing is - if you can afford it - having the vet do the teeth cleaning and then beginning the maintenance. It's just like with people - I brush twice a day and floss twice a day - but each year I still need to get my teeth cleaned by a pro. Cats get that build-up too.

We have one kitty prone to plaque problems - we get her teeth done every year since she was two years old. We brush her teeth (she loves it) and give her special treats - but she still lost two teeth at five year old.

The vet can do "pre-anesthetic" testing to make sure there won't be a negative reaction to the anesthesia.

As artsick pointed out, there are special treats to help remove plaque from cats' teeth.

Do you brush your cats? Do they like to have their cheeks brushed? This is how we started - by brushing their faces with a regular brush. When they came to absolutely love it, we then used the toothbrush on the outside of their mouths. Spooky, the one with the plaque problem LOVED it - and would chew on the brush. So we just started brushing her teeth and massaging her gums with the baby tooth brush, and she just purrs and purrs and purrs.

Laurie
some good advice Thx!!!! Ill try those ideas.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
teeth are important to have cleaned and unless there is an underlying health issue, I think the danger of never cleaning the teeth are more risky then putting the cat under.