Bad Dog Bad Cat

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I woke at 1:30 am from the dog barking and my 17 year old daughter' blood curding screaming, don't know how it started but for some reason, Rosie (med sized dog) got in a fight with my feral boy Gus, the dogs head was bleeding pretty bad, the cat didn't even have a hair out of place. The dog has two puncture wounds, this morning on either side of her head, Rosie is now scared of Gus, she was shaking at the bottom of the stairs, she wouldn't come up, then I notice Gus staring down on her through the railing. I had to put Gus in my room so I could get Rosie outside. I hope she gets past this and be friends again soon.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
cats may be small, but boy can they put up a fight!! poor Rosie, dogs are usually pretty forgiving so I can they make up soon!

I had to laugh at you saying Gus was staring at her thru the railing
I have this image of his eyes glowing

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

cats may be small, but boy can they put up a fight!! poor Rosie, dogs are usually pretty forgiving so I can they make up soon!

I had to laugh at you saying Gus was staring at her thru the railing
I have this image of his eyes glowing
I think his eyes were glowing
My Dh calls him the intimidator.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's scary! Living with both dogs and feral cats, I've seen how dogs can react to cats when they don't view them as part of the "pack". Simply separating them may not be enough. Rosie needs to learn that Gus is an accepted member of your pack. I don't know your situation with Gus so this may not apply to you. At feeding times, I always feed the cats first and make the dogs wait until they are done before I feed them. In a dog pack, the alpha chooses the pecking order of who eats when. It has put a high degree of respect from the dogs to the cats and keeps order in my house.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gus staring down through the steps

Cats really know how to make a point don't they!

I'm not sure what you could do about that other than to let them have their space and slowly like eachother again

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

That's scary! Living with both dogs and feral cats, I've seen how dogs can react to cats when they don't view them as part of the "pack". Simply separating them may not be enough. Rosie needs to learn that Gus is an accepted member of your pack. I don't know your situation with Gus so this may not apply to you. At feeding times, I always feed the cats first and make the dogs wait until they are done before I feed them. In a dog pack, the alpha chooses the pecking order of who eats when. It has put a high degree of respect from the dogs to the cats and keeps order in my house.
Rosie is fed down stairs, she was abused and abandoned as puppy. she will not share with anyone else. Rosie is still afraid of Gus, I think he got his point across. Rosie can be aggressive towards other dogs, she loves kitties. earlier that day they were cuddling, the only thing I can think of is maybe Gus startled her.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are still avoiding each other, which is much better than fighting, after a lot of thinking, I think Gus must have got into Rosie's food dish . Rosie is very possesive of her food. My daughter now closes her bedroom door, since Rosie sleeps with her, that way Gus (the intimidator) can't bother her.