I need your help

jayme&jackson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Jackson is 3years old, we have had him almost 2 years and rescued him from a shelter...He is an amazingly well behaved little guy and my husband and I could not be blessed with such and amazing "first pet."

Recently we adopted a kitten by the name of Oliver. He has been in our home since the end of October and with a few hisses (to be expected) and a quick swat here and there they get along famously...

Until, Roughly a month ago Jackson developed a urinary infection which was treated by antiobiotics. The Vet explained this could be due to stress at home and asked if the two boys got along. I of course, said I felt they got along well being a first time multiple cat owner.

But, Last week we went into out Laundry room we have a ledge that I fold and put the close on...We went into the bathroom and I kept smelling this Odd smell, It smelt similar to something burning, like rubber. So I checked the washer and dryer and then lifted some of the clothes and they we were wet with this smell, and there was a TON of whatever it was.

Could this be spray? This has now happened 3times in the same spot. I have read up on it and so far what I'm reading is that we need to NOT have a mutli cat home and to get rid of Oliver...

Please help me...

Any ideas and suggestions?

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not sure how a bacterial infection could be caused by stress? I know stress weakens your immune system, but I've never heard of it associated with stress, and if Oliver and Jackson are getting along, which they definitely sound like they are, then where is this stress coming from?

anyway, do you have a blacklight? Cat pee glows under a black light so you will be able to tell if that's what is making the clothes wet...in my experience cat pee smells like ammonia

it's possible that Jackson may have another infection, you may want to take him back to the vet...preferably another one and get a second opinion

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since it was wet I would say that it is cat pee yes. Try the blacklight trick though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jayme&jackson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I'm not sure how a bacterial infection could be caused by stress? I know stress weakens your immune system, but I've never heard of it associated with stress, and if Oliver and Jackson are getting along, which they definitely sound like they are, then where is this stress coming from?

anyway, do you have a blacklight? Cat pee glows under a black light so you will be able to tell if that's what is making the clothes wet...in my experience cat pee smells like ammonia

it's possible that Jackson may have another infection, you may want to take him back to the vet...preferably another one and get a second opinion
I know this is deffinately not pee, it has no ammonia smell what so ever...
Jackson Has been growling lately, and I also have noticed he is peeing in the litter box.

So With this black light, will it not glow if it is "spray"? That is my concern, that he is unahppy and has possibly started to spray!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im pretty sure that spay is urine that contains certain pheramones so yes, it should still glow under black light. Though I've never heard it's smell described as burning rubber! I akways though it smelled like urine only stronger.