Are you fingers really that fat???

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok... this is going to be odd... Anyone that's lost weight, gained weight, whatever, did your fingers change size? I have worn a size 8 1/2 ring since FOREVER. I had put on some weight since school, still same size ring. Then I started working out, trying to get healthier. Sort of slowed down and maintained for a little while, and my wedding rings started getting lose. Then really lose, until I couldn't do anything and the ring would slide right off my hand. Now... I have it wrapped with string to keep it on. Christmas time, I bought myself a sapphire ring (clearance! love it!!!) and they only carry size 7's. Which I knew so I just picked the one I liked and was going to get it resized. Got home and DH asked if I had tried it on cuz I was whining that I wanted to wear it now!!! And I said no, cuz it's a 7! So, he made me try it on. It fits. It's not tight or anything, slides on and off no problem. Even slightly large for winter time cuz it spins on my finger rather than staying upright but will be perfect for summer. (hot months your hands are bigger then cold months! - TRUE) anyways... So... my hands are not fat, never have been, but my freakin fingers are shrinking!
I hate having to wrap my wedding rings but I worry about resizing them again. What if I gain back or my hands mysteriously get bigger again? Has this happened to any of you? And what should I do about the rings?

Ok... rambling over! Thanks guys!

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now that I think about it my rings seem a little tighter since I've gain a ton of weight.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Resize them. It'll be a good motivation to keep the weight off

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to resize my wedding rings soon because I had lost a lot of weight since the surrogacy. My rings are size 6 but I'm thinking my fingers are either 5 or 5.5 now. Oi...

There are these little plastic things that go around the bottom part of your rings to make them more snug on your finger and they can be taken on and off easily. I can't find mine and I really wish I had them on now. You get used to them on and no one can notice them since they're on the underside of your ring and finger.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Resize them! Most of the places around here will do it for around $30 and they do a great job! Metal is more durable than you think depending on what kind you have -they can withstand being resized multiple times. I would get them done so they fit properly and you won't risk them falling off or loosing them

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My fingers are usually the first place I notice a weight loss or gain. When I loose weight, my rings get looser, when I gain it back they get tighter again. (Also, if I start retaining water badly my fingers get fat.) I say go ahead and resize them. It's not all that expensive, and at least you won't have to worry about losing them.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! When you lose weight everything gets smaller too!

I.e when I was heavier, I use to be a shoe 8W...now I'm a 7.5 M or 8N.

My ring size went from 7.5 to 5.5. It costs only $20 to get the ring sized down...a little more if you want to size up (since you have to purchase the metal)

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have thin fingers - size 5 - and I can tell you that metal is not indestructible. I had my wedding band resized down, about 2 1/2 sizes. The band split 3x where it was cut. The third time the jeweler said it was not worth repairing. I got a new band - the type that you put your engagement diamond in - and I made sure I got the correct size.
I would go the new ring route.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Yes! When you lose weight everything gets smaller too!

I.e when I was heavier, I use to be a shoe 8W...now I'm a 7.5 M or 8N.

My ring size went from 7.5 to 5.5. It costs only $20 to get the ring sized down...a little more if you want to size up (since you have to purchase the metal)
When I was lighter, I was a shoe size 8, but now I weigh more and I am a 7. I went the opposite way.

My moms fingers got a lot smaller when she lost weight. She started at a 5, but then lost weight and her fingers were about a 4. Mine used to be a 5 and I have a ring that is size 6 and it used to be huge on me, but now it is just a little bit big.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"did your fingers change size" yes
and shoe size..(but i still have big battleship feet)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys for all the insite. I haven't descided yet what to do, but it's nice to know that I am not the only one this is happening to.

chelle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When me and Keith got married i wore a size 5
but when i got pregnant (both times ) it had to be resized to an 8
then when i hade the kids i was going to resize it again
but then my DH bought me a second set of wedding rings,
they are a size 7..My 1st set is on my lecklace that
i wea....it's confusing sometimes when i think of how
many times i had them resized lol

The jewler said it's not a good idea to resize the ring
too many times. so that's why DH bought me a new set

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I say resize them! That way you have the originals, and even if they end up cracking or something completly crazy like that happens you can get new ones and will only be out 30 bucks! But if it works, you'll save alot!

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the advice guys! I think I am going to get through the winter with them wrapped, and when summer gets here, I'll get them resized. Maybe I will even be down more by then too! Who knows!

ronit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hi ! have you thought that you might be retaining liquids? maybe you need to cut salt a little... just a thought...

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My hands have definitely gotten bigger since gaining weight! When DH and I first started dating I was around 135 pounds and wore a size 4 1/2 ring (I was so proud of that too!). And now I'm around 185 pounds and my size 5 and 5 1/2 rings are much snugger! The 5 (engagement ring) is somewhat tight. I had DH get my wedding band in a 5 1/2 because I was afraid that when I get pregnant or just older my hands would get bigger. My ring was ordered custom sized because it's got channel set stones, so resizing isn't an option. I thought I was being smart then, but I really didn't count on gaining weight like I did.

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ronit

hi ! have you thought that you might be retaining liquids? maybe you need to cut salt a little... just a thought...
My hands are smaller not bigger and I watch my salt intake, I don't add salt to darn near anything and I buy a lot of the lower sodium soups and such. But thank you for thinking of that!

Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

My hands have definitely gotten bigger since gaining weight! When DH and I first started dating I was around 135 pounds and wore a size 4 1/2 ring (I was so proud of that too!). And now I'm around 185 pounds and my size 5 and 5 1/2 rings are much snugger! The 5 (engagement ring) is somewhat tight. I had DH get my wedding band in a 5 1/2 because I was afraid that when I get pregnant or just older my hands would get bigger. My ring was ordered custom sized because it's got channel set stones, so resizing isn't an option. I thought I was being smart then, but I really didn't count on gaining weight like I did.
Maybe you could try some hand and finger exercises to see if your hands got a little smaller. Since looking up stuff on this, I see some cute things!