Cat play

mooster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am a 1st time cat owner. I took in a stray male about 1 year old, soon to be neutered and get his shots. He is very affectionate, and seems happy, but shows no interest in playing at all. Is this normal?

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mooster

I am a 1st time cat owner. I took in a stray male about 1 year old, soon to be neutered and get his shots. He is very affectionate, and seems happy, but shows no interest in playing at all. Is this normal?
What do you mean by playing? Do you have the usual feather on the end of a stick and laser pen for him to chase? Also, how long have you had him? It sounds like not very long and he may just need some more time.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it can happen. If the kitten was born in the wild, they really don't play - its more of survival lessons then play time. While its part instinct, I think kittens have to be taught to play with people.

You'll have to try different things to see if you get a reaction. Try toys of feathers, strings or the kind that is like a fishing lure type of toy. Most of them will trigger more "hunting" behavior and play rather then chasing a ball across the room.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mooster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks to you both. I have tried them all. But maybe he does need more time. Would a feral cat be this affectionate? I have had him for 2 weeks. So nice of you to help a "newbie" like me!

zao_cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Feral cats don't necessarily have to be WILD!!! It's just when they haven't been around humans for a while. At work we get quite a bit of ferals in. Some are CRAZY where you can't even touch them and others are just a bit standoffish. If you only had him for about 2 weeks I would first try to solidify that bond and then start to play with him.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried rolling up 3/4" foil balls for him to chase? How about a knot in a cord, dragged slowly under a sheet of newspaper (they go crazy pouncing on the 'mouse')? What my cat won't stop playing (hockey) with is a 1-2" long soft colored spring (coil) from the pet shop - meant for bird cages I think, but he loves it.