getting another cat after losing one

pkyswt2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! I just lost my beloved Pookey in December to breast cancer which spread to her lungs. It was the first time I lost a pet of my own and has been so hard.
My other cat, Sweetie Pea still cries at night looking for Pookey. It breaks my heart.

I have been looking into getting a new cat. I have been to shelters and have seen many cats. I checked out a few over the weekend. Beautiful cats but none like my Pookey. She has the best personality. I could pick her up and smoosh her and love her and do anything to her and I really miss that. Sweetie sits on me and next to me and lets me love her but she doesn't let me pick her up the way Pookey did. I feel like I NEED to find a cat that will let me do that too!!!

For those who have lost cats and then gotten others, how did you react to having a different cat in the house?? I am so afraid that I am not going to like another cat being in the house. I sometimes feel like Pookey is still here. Part of me feels like getting another one will help both Sweetie and I and another part of me feels like I will be betraying Pookey by bringing someone else home.

I would love to hear others experiences with this issue.
Thanks!

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i know your going to find it hard. i did! you will move on though, & you'll love your new kitty/kitty's just as much as the one you lost! i lost my first kitty when i was in school, it broke my heart, then i got Sabrina, & she made me smile again! you'll never forget your other kitty though, i didn't & still havn't

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I lost Glitch on November 16th, and I think it was the 21st when I got Eek! BooBoo was frantic looking for his friend, and he had never been alone, and I needed someone or something that needed me as much as Glitch did! I still mourn over Glitch every day, that hasn't changed at all. What has changed is that there is another to love, who is very special also. Eek isn't Glitch by any means, and I have to stop myself from comparing them! Every kitty is different, and you will never find one exactly the same as your beloved Pookie! I think adding another would be a good memorial for him! He wouldn't want you to not get another one! I thought that Glitch had scarred me for life and I could never love another. I love Eek, just not in the same way! There is still a hole where my heart use to be in the shape of Glitch, but I have enough love to love again, and Im sure you do too!! Good luck and let us know what you decide to do!

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i agree. i think it's harder too when you have another cat who is missing their friend.

my most recent experience was after losing my precious janet last oct. we had got milo (aged 11 mths now) as a buddy for janet. of course, being an impressionable kitten he had latched onto janet and the 2 were more or less inseparable. after janet died, milo was a different kitten. he would start to play and then suddenly stop as if to say, 'what's the point'.

although we also have 8 yr old tabitha, she is not at all playful and refused all milo's attempts to do just that.

so we adopted shinobi who is 4 months younger than milo. after an intitial 'aargh! who are you??' from milo, the 2 are now firm friends. see attached photo.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/h...s/DSC00700.jpg

as glitch so rightly pointed out, there will always be a pookey shaped gap in your heart, but another kitty can help to fill the emptiness.

good luck!

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pkyswt2

Hi all! I just lost my beloved Pookey in December to breast cancer which spread to her lungs. It was the first time I lost a pet of my own and has been so hard.
My other cat, Sweetie Pea still cries at night looking for Pookey. It breaks my heart.

I have been looking into getting a new cat. I have been to shelters and have seen many cats. I checked out a few over the weekend. Beautiful cats but none like my Pookey. She has the best personality. I could pick her up and smoosh her and love her and do anything to her and I really miss that. Sweetie sits on me and next to me and lets me love her but she doesn't let me pick her up the way Pookey did. I feel like I NEED to find a cat that will let me do that too!!!

For those who have lost cats and then gotten others, how did you react to having a different cat in the house?? I am so afraid that I am not going to like another cat being in the house. I sometimes feel like Pookey is still here. Part of me feels like getting another one will help both Sweetie and I and another part of me feels like I will be betraying Pookey by bringing someone else home.

I would love to hear others experiences with this issue.
Thanks!
I have never lost a cat but my Misty will be 15 years old next month, Valentine's Day actually. If I lost her God forbid, I would go to the shelter and give another kitty a home, an older cat. Never try to replace your lost kitty, you never can but you can give another one a chance at a forever home. You will know when your ready to find a companion for your other kit.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh honey, nothing will ever replace Pookey, but that doesn't mean you can't love another cat. It probably would help Sweet Pea to have a new companion, and it might help you deal with things better. It is so hard to lose a pet when they are a part of your family. For me, they are my kids.

You're not going to find another Pookey. It sounds like you two had a great bond. But hopefully you will find another kitty that needs love and a good home that you can love just as much. I think Pookey would want you to.

ooomisseooo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If I were you I would wait at least a month til adopting another addition to your family.
It took me a few months after the death of Thumper. She was 16 and had a massive stroke. *cries*
Finally, in middle December I went out to the local shelter. Of course i'm looking for another Thumper but in reality I knew there would be no replacement. I spotted a kitty....same age as when I adopted Thumper (5 1/2 months) and the same look on her face like Thumper. Sadly, I could tell she was either feral or a mistreated kitty. She hissed in fear at first sight of me looking at her.
I, however, adopted her putting all that aside. Today MYLA is such of the most lovable companion...hehe almost too lovable! <3333