Ocicat...cat dillema.

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I met this wonderful, gorgeous, sweet, playful, lovable, ect. Ocicat female named Wildtracks Night Crossing, aka "Star", this weekend, at the Loveland, CO cat show. I know her owner/breeder, Sue Riley, and have known her for about a year, though we've only -really- started talking just in the last few months, at cat shows, and she lets me handle her cats all I want, basically, since I don't show any of my own, yet (I'll be showing my HHP next month in Brighton).

Anyway, I met this Oci this weekend, for the first time. She's half-sister to my previously-fave Ocicat, Wildtracks Laughing Crow. She's five and a half years old, and has produced several good litters of kittens, according to Sue. She's now in the Premier ring, working her way to a Grand Premiership.

I have spent, today, about five, or so, hours, just sitting in front of her cage, staring at her, talking to her, and petting her, and I have to say, as I told Sue, I love her. I flat-out love this cat, and can't imagine her going to any other home but mine. I told Sue that I love her, and really, really want to have her once she Grands and needs a forever home.

But I'm moving to Florida within the year, hoepfully, and I already have two cats, a 7 1/2 month old neutered male, and a ~10 year old spayed female, as well as three cockatiels, and I my mind is telling me that another cat added to the mix could be bad, even though my heart is crying out, "take her, bring Star home". I told Sue this, that I was going to FL and wouldn't feel right about hauling her down to FL before I was settled, and she said that it would be perfect if she herself held onto Star until then, because sometimes she goes to shows in FL, and really thinks that I would provide a good home for her.

I really want Star, and I feel like we bonded by the end of today, but...is my mind right in telling me that this isn't a good idea? Should I get to know the cat better before deciding (which I fully intend to do, anyway)? Should I give up, and try to forget her? Any other suggestions?

And I really, sincerly apologize if this is in the wrong section...

Thank you.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My completely unbiased answer is adopt her

It's often said that cats choose their owners and it sounds like she chose you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I definately like that answer. ;D And "unbiased", lol. <3 You have beautiful cats.

I have a year to think about this, which is definately a good thing.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Charlie and I (not biased at all
) say to make arragements to take her home to Florida AFTER you move and get settled in. While your older female may have a little more to say about another cat moving in, the younger male will have someone to play with.

Oci's are great and she's a very pretty girl. I'm sure things will work out - just go by the introductions like described in this forum - slow and easy. Don't rush things. You will NOT be disappointed.

Did you own her 1/2 sister? or just admire her? If you've never owned an Oci, be prepared for an active cat who wants to help in everything you do

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Charlie and I (not biased at all
) say to make arragements to take her home to Florida AFTER you move and get settled in. While your older female may have a little more to say about another cat moving in, the younger male will have someone to play with.

Oci's are great and she's a very pretty girl. I'm sure things will work out - just go by the introductions like described in this forum - slow and easy. Don't rush things. You will NOT be disappointed.

Did you own her 1/2 sister? or just admire her? If you've never owned an Oci, be prepared for an active cat who wants to help in everything you do
Exactly my thoughts, everyone; move, get settled in, THEN get her. And Sue said that'd be great; she could just bring her down there with her when she went to a show in FL, as she said she sometimes does. =D I'm going to have to talk to my sister first, though, and see what she thinks...

No, I didn't own her 1/2 sister, but I greatly admired her, and it was her 1/2 sister that got me SO interested in Ocis. So, I have never owned an -oci-, only handled them at shows, researched and read about them, and I have a kitten who is very much like an Oci, in behaviour. He plays a TON, demolishes nearly every toy I let him play with (I bought him a new wand last night at the show, and he took it apart just minutes into playing with it. -_-) (I also brought home some bandaging supplies to practice bandaging, and he tore up the soft cotton roll, the little punk), he just -has- to check up on everything I do, especially when I clean the litter boxes. He trieds to steal my food, even though I never give him table scraps unless he's been really good, and I'm finished. He chases the other kitties around, and has even started playing with my sister's dog, whom he was deathly afraid of when he met her.

Anyway, thank you all for your replies. =D You've all lifted my heart, which was sad and upset last night at the thought of turning her down. =)

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
AND we will have another Oci owner on the TCS board too

Now I prefer male Oci's. One day will have another one - Charlie's a chocolate spotted, but I want a baby brother for him in either chocolate silver, cinnamon silver, or cinnamon

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

AND we will have another Oci owner on the TCS board too

Now I prefer male Oci's. One day will have another one - Charlie's a chocolate spotted, but I want a baby brother for him in either chocolate silver, cinnamon silver, or cinnamon
I love the females, for some reason. I'm not sure why. =)

Sue offered me a silver chocolate spotted female, too, who is the mother of another kitten she had this weekend, but I told her I really wanted Star.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've just had more luck with boys, especially since almost all my cats were show cats (purebred or mixed). My females were tempermental whether they were spayed or not. The boys all loved showing

When you get Star, will you continue to show her in premiership classes or just spoil her at home?

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd like to show her, since she seems to enjoy it, but it'll depend on what's going on. =)

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Katzyn

Sue offered me a silver chocolate spotted female, too, who is the mother of another kitten she had this weekend, but I told her I really wanted Star.
Here's an idea, take them both

I need one more, a lavender or lavender silver.

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

Here's an idea, take them both

I need one more, a lavender or lavender silver.
Hahahaha, no, no....I think I'll have plenty of animals to care for. Great suggestion, though.

I've never seen a lavender silver. =O

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As an owner of a hot chocolate female Ocicat, I can't say enough good things about my Sadielicious and the breed. So, for me to say -- ADOPT -- should not be a surprise.

I had Siamese all my life and Sadie is my first (but not my last) Oci -- I'll never have any other breed of cat. You won't be sorry.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From Charlie to Sadie:

Hey gf - will you be coming down to visit in person when I get my Grand Championship in March or April? Still waiting to find out if there will be a March show

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

From Charlie to Sadie:

Hey gf - will you be coming down to visit in person when I get my Grand Championship in March or April? Still waiting to find out if there will be a March show
Oh Charlie, I don't think so. My meowmy will be travelling so I need to go to grandma's house in March. But, if it's April, that's a different story.

BTW, could you be any more handsome. Between you and Dimitri, I'm simple swooning!

P.S. Guess who's two now?

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sadie's Mom

As an owner of a hot chocolate female Ocicat, I can't say enough good things about my Sadielicious and the breed. So, for me to say -- ADOPT -- should not be a surprise.

I had Siamese all my life and Sadie is my first (but not my last) Oci -- I'll never have any other breed of cat. You won't be sorry.
I am getting so excited about getting her; I know my sister will let me. And I'm sure that once I really have her, I'll want another Oci. I'm so fascinated by them, and love their personalities. <3

And it's so great to hear from you guys. Qiuck question, do any of you own birds? That is my only concern, and I have been told they are hunters, but another breeder friend owns a cockatoo, and said that her Ocis quickly learned respect for the bird.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope - my two cats would have bird for dinner. They both have strong prey instincts. I'd talk to the breeder about if her cats would be ok. I guess just keep them in a safe room where the cats can't go when you are not around

And don't forget to post pictures of Star after she moves in with you.

Sadie - I have 2 shows in April - first and last weekends
And I'll be 2 in August