Paint Question.....what would you do?

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a little painting dilemma. I am wanting to repaint my kitchen...same color. I went to Sears to get some paint only to discover that the color (Ethereal Blue) has been discontinued. I have a few options.

1. It is possible that they can still mix the paint....it depends on the information that is on the top of my paint can. They need me to bring in my can, the color card, and a paint stick I have with some of the paint on it. I have yet to bring it in. I'm not so sure that what I see on the top of the can will give them the information they need. If the info is not there, I was told they could "TRY" to match it.

2. I can take a sample of the paint, which I have on a paint stick, to a place like Sherwin Williams and they can do a match.

3. I can pick up a bunch of light blue paint swatch cards from a paint department and find the one that closest matches my walls.

What would you do?

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would do the cheapest option since the end result will be very similar if not the same.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have taken a sample of the wall (paint) that I want to home depot, and they have matched the paint exactly. this comes in handy when you just want to touch up.
If you give them a section of an inch or so, they can match it exactly. for free

norachelhere

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If the sticker on the top of the paint can is still there, it should have a formula on it. All they have to do is replicate that formula and you will come up with the exact same color! I would give that a shot!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've had Ace match paint perfectly from a sample that I brought with me. Don't go by the swatches, you'll never get it right. Most good paint stores have the scanners where they can match the color. You'll want to make sure that you know whether it was flat, eggshell, etc cause that will make a difference on how they match it.

If in doubt, bring in the can and the paint sample when you go to buy more paint.

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a similar problem. We needed to match some paint that had been done by the previous occupants of this house. We tried about 6 testers untill we found one that matched, which was surprise surprise, the most expensive, which had to be mixed
We still bought it though, and I'm glad we did as it looks great.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well try Home Depot with the paint sample on the stick. DH loves that HD will match almost perfectly the color. We recently had to do that with a painted piece of board and they did it great.

Now if you are doing the entire kitchen over, then maybe you want to change the color a little (lighter or darker). If you decide to do it lighter, you may need 2 coats rather then one.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most paint stores will be able to match the color from a sample or as others stated from the formula on the can. Make sure too to request the same "sheen".
Are you planing on re-painting the entire room?? You will have to as most paint brands will do some fading after one year of the walls being painted. Certain paint manufacturers are now coming out with paint that doesn't do this. (this comes from the paint store I use which is highly regarded).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

Are you planing on re-painting the entire room?? You will have to as most paint brands will do some fading after one year of the walls being painted. Certain paint manufacturers are now coming out with paint that doesn't do this. (this comes from the paint store I use which is highly regarded).
Yes, I am repainting all 4 walls and the ceiling!

Thanks for all the advice.

If Sears tells me from the info on the paint can that they can mix it, then I'll go with that. If not, my best bet will then be a color match.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I went to Sears Friday with my paint can. The person who helped me (different employee from the last time I went) looked it up in the book and confirmed that it was a discontinued color. But he took the code off the paint can lid, typed it into the computer for the paint mixing, and it accepted it! Which means they can still mix the paint for me! They don't have to try to color match it!!!
So while it IS a discontinued color, it is still in the system! Now why didn't the first person try entering the code into they system?!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take a sample with you and try to get it matched! I think you'll be plesantly suprised!
I recently redid my guest bathroom at our old house over the summer and went to our local paint store Farrell Calhoun to get paint. They were SOOOOO nice, matched the color i wanted perfectly, and they even gave me a discount
The thing i like about their paint is that it's specifically designed for the climate in this part of the country!