Oldest cat of TCS members,,,

tom w

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, Now that Missy is 21 years old and still doing pretty good, I was wondering who has the oldest living kitty cat of TheCatSite members. Anyone know what the record is for longest living house cat? I had some one ask me that and I have no idea. Yvonne says someone she knows claims they had one live into its late 30's. I find that a little hard to believe without some real good proof of its age.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There have been a few cats verified to live into their early to mid thirties. One of them that I read about was a cat in England named Ma that was well into her thirties when she was PTS. The oldest one I remember being posted about here was 23. I don't think her owner stayed around she joined and posted on a weekend about a swollen paw. She took the cat to a vet and it turned out to be congestive heart failure.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I agree on the 30 something cat, but if its in the Guinness book of records they do verify it pretty accurately. I still find it hard to believe that one cat lived more then 25 yrs.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cat that I had when I was growing up, lived to be 22 1/2 years old. My parent's cat, Samson, lived to be 19 1/2 years old. My sister's cat, Billy, lived to be 18+ years old, and my Spooky lived to be 17 years old. We've been lucky to have our kitties live good long lives. My kitties now, are 7 1/2, 6 1/2 and 4 1/2, so hopefully, they will live to ripe old age!

slave2_ragdolls

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would think that with todays high quailty all natural foods.....that 25 years old would not be out of the question

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kandie was 5 weeks from 19( indoor /outdoor front declaw)

Nikko was 19.5 ( indoor /outdoor)

Simon was 15 ( mostly outdoor /slept inside)

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tom, sounds like she's going strong and she is 3 times older than my eldest kitty! (7 1/2 y/o BooBoo)

Hows Misty doing?? Did you ever find her?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tom w

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Misty is doing great. She was hiding under some boxes and bags upstairs that day.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tom W

Hi, Now that Missy is 21 years old and still doing pretty good, I was wondering who has the oldest living kitty cat of TheCatSite members. Anyone know what the record is for longest living house cat? I had some one ask me that and I have no idea. Yvonne says someone she knows claims they had one live into its late 30's. I find that a little hard to believe without some real good proof of its age.
Congratulations to Missy; may she have many more years to enjoy your love.

One thing that I have repeatedly heard is that "house" cats, cats that are NEVER allowed outside have a very good chance of living to twenty and beyond. This fact was reminded to me this morning when I saw a squashed cat on the roadway. It seems that all of my neighbors have cats and they all roam outside and taunt my cats through the window. This of course upsets my cats but I know that I am doing the right thing in keeping my cats INSIDE.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tom w

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

Congratulations to Missy; may she have many more years to enjoy your love.

One thing that I have repeatedly heard is that "house" cats, cats that are NEVER allowed outside have a very good chance of living to twenty and beyond. This fact was reminded to me this morning when I saw a squashed cat on the roadway. It seems that all of my neighbors have cats and they all roam outside and taunt my cats through the window. This of course upsets my cats but I know that I am doing the right thing in keeping my cats INSIDE.
Missy used to go outside all the time when she was younger in the summer. Yvonne says she has been hit by a car a couple times, had two batches of kittens, would only eat the cheapest Wal-Mart cat food and still does. She has a big bump in her side from being hit by a car, so it is amazing she is doing as good as she is.
When she was young she was real grumpy and hated to be petted or touched. She was still like that when I met and married Yvonne 10 years ago, and its funny to think she was over 10 years old when I first met Missy. Now Missy is real close to me, she will come and lay on my chest at night and purr away as I pet her, and she seems to really trust me to not hurt her in anyway and I watch out for her if the young cats gang up on her, or if she starts yelling because she is stuck someplace or for whatever reason I am the one who comes running to see whats wrong.

The truth is I never really liked Missy when I first met her, but thankfully now we get along great. I don't understand why but since I got Misty a couple weeks ago Missy is acting much younger and doing things I never noticed her doing before. Missy and Misty are not close so I don't understand why the changes.

Missy and Cozmo get along fairly well for the way Missy normally acts toward the other animals, they sometimes even chase each other around the house. I had thought the Missy was running from Cozmo because she was scared of him, but I have seen Missy start it by teasing Cozmo.

I guess cats really do have 9 lives, as far as Missy is concerned anyway. She is tough as nails also and she is still very smart. She is loosing weight though, so we are a little worried about that. She just had a ton of blood tests done mainly looking for thyroid problems but her blood work is great for her age, thyroid, liver and kidneys and whatever else they checked are all fine. I have had her to the vet about ever 6 to 8 months for the last few years just because of her age and the vet normally does the blood tests every year or so just to keep up on any problems that might show up but her tests have not changed in the last few years. The vet shakes her head and says Missy is amazing. She don't show any signs of arthritis or any bad joint problems either, which is amazing to me since Yvonne told me she has been hit by a car two times when she was young, she must not have been run over or I am sure she would have died back then, so I don't know what happened.

The vets office say they have records all the way back to when Missy was a kitten. Yvonne got Missy when she was 2 years old and it sounds like her first owner also took her to the same office. I would like to sit and read some of her early records sometime just to see what her history is. They didn't want to believe Missy was as old as I said when I first took her in about 3 years ago. Yvonne told me that they should have her records going back a long ways but under different owners names, so I told the vet that and Yvonne's last name at the time because she was married 1 time before we got married, so they did some digging and sure enough found her old records and figured out her age and told me she is older than we thought she was and also good proof of her real age.

The vet wants do do a chest Xray on her just to see if anything out of the ordinary shows up. Because she is eating all the time and loosing weight and she says her heart beat is to fast she is wondering if she has some kind of cancer or something starting to grow in there some place. I sure hope not, and if she does she sure isn't acting like she is sick as of yet. I would feel so bad if Missy had to be suffering her last days on earth when ever that time comes. I went through that with Tuffy and I felt so helpless and scared. I hope I don't have to go through that again anytime soon.

Sorry for writing a book here and repeating most of the stuff I have posted about Missy in another topic about her.

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations Missy! I hope she puts on some weight for you.

My oldest, Felixia, just hit her unofficial 20th birthday. I wish I knew her exact age. She's lived with me for 17 years, and she had very bad teeth when she showed up, so she had to have been at least 3 or 4 back then. She's beginning to have a bit of trouble with arthritis now, and has been diagnosed with early stage renal failure, but she's still in amazing shape for her age. My other 4 cats are 13, 13, 13, and 12.

The oldest cat I've ever heard of was in the Cat Fancy magazine, in its mid-thirties. The oldest one I've ever seen personally was 25. I hope that as knowledge about diet, nutrition, and preventive care improves, we'll continue to see more cats live longer, healthier lives.
hugs to all the senior kitties!