Mixing Antibiotics in with Wet Food?

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is this ok? Mattie is terrorized of me now because I have to give her liquid antibiotics 2x a day, which is just a production that involves me chasing her. It's just not fun for either of us. She hides under the bed now, and she used to not do that.

Tonight I bought some Fancy Feast and mixed in her antibiotics. She normally doesn't eat Fancy Feast, but I know that she loves it and wanted to get her something that I knew she would eat all at once.

Do other people do this?

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've tried doing that with my girls, but they always taste the meds and it doesn't get eaten. You'd have to make sure they ate every bite if you do mix it. That is...if it's the type that can be mixed with food.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I *believe* Clavamox is OK to mix with food. However, it smells so distinct I doubt it'll work. Tried that once with a semi-feral farm kitty.

It is available in tablet form - perhaps call your vet when they are open again & request tablets?

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get mine flavored at the pharmacy, and then mix it in with my cat's canned food, usually something with gravy (she loves gravy!). I switch up the flavor with every new can, to keep it interesting. If she doesn't finish/eat it, she goes in the bathroom with it until it is gone (it is usually gone pretty quickly
).

Otherwise, well, I don't want to think about it! It would involve lots of bandaids...lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

What anti-bitoics?
Clavamox, which has to be refridgerated.

I tried it tonight and she did not finish her food and I had given it to her with 2 feedings. She LOVES Fancy Feast so she must have been able to taste it in there. She's shut in a room with it, I'll make sure she eats all of it.

I'll try it again tomorrow, but if not....back to the squirting it in her mouth.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes adding more to it (to disguise the taste more) works when they don't want to finish it. Also, adding a different flavor of catfood works too- they think they are getting something different, lol.

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i mixed my babies clavamox in a big spoon with some vita-gravy and they finished it everytime, no problem.

give it a try, sure made my life easier. and also that way you don't hafta worry about them not finishing their food, you can see right away if they've taken it all

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by saya

i mixed my babies clavamox in a big spoon with some vita-gravy and they finished it everytime, no problem.

give it a try, sure made my life easier. and also that way you don't hafta worry about them not finishing their food, you can see right away if they've taken it all
that's a good idea, I wouldn't have thought to do that. I'll have to pick some up tomorrow at the pet store.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried mixing clavomox with food, but Cindy wouldn't touch it, and it made her sick anyway when I did give it to it.

I got the vet to give me a pill that I can crush up and put in food. So far it's worked for Swanie putting it in a small amount of food and following him around with the bit he hasn't finished on my finger or smearing it on his paw. Cindy it works if I put it in some kind of gravy, she laps it up.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do mix Clavamox with wet food but start with only a small amount of wet to make sure that they eat all of it before I give them more food. Clavamox doesn't seem to deter them like some of the other meds - it's not that strong of a flavor.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to do that with one of my rexes - she gave me a fit to get amoxi in her - so I got a can of food she really loved, and put a dose of the pink stuff in there and mixed it up - only giving her about a teaspoon with the medicine to be sure she and only she got it.

Then after cleaning the plate, she got the rest of the normal amount of canned.

I don't see a problem with it - you can call your vet to be sure its ok, but most times they will tell you "whatever it takes..."

isabel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My shelter kitten just finished up Clavimox for a URI and you bet I mixed it with his food. He foams terribly for up to a half hour after I gave him the liquid orally, so I tried putting it with his canned. It was a little tricky for the first week because he was very sick and he didn't feel like eating much at all, but I kept offering it to him and he'd usually eat it all within an hour.

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For anyone's reading this and taking notes.......

MY only easy way to get any of the cats to take Clavamox - tablets - has been to use "Pill Pockets"....these are gooey treat-like globs with a "hole" in the middle into which you put the tablet, then press the gooey glob around the tab to cover it up. One gulp and the cat is pilled!

I think that "Solutions for: When Vets Say "Put the Meds in the Food" deserves a thread to itself!!!!!!!!!

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
definitely, pill pockets didn't work too well for me though, my cats didn't like the texture I guess. I have better luck cutting the pills up and putting them inside "denta bites" they're crunchy treats with squishy stuff on the inside. I just cut off the end and scoop the goo out with a knife and put the pill in there. it's the only tried and true method around here for pills.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I put Bird's thyroid med (a small pill half) in a Friskies hairball treat, also divided in half, so one half has the med, and the other one doesn't. Then I mix that in with her canned cat food, which is usually something in gravy, with pieces about the same size. All gone!

The hairball treats are cheaper than the pill pockets, if you need a cheaper or more readily available alternative (they have these at Walmart and the grocery store around here
).

I guess there is an advantage sometimes to having a cat who barely chews her food, lol.