cat using his bed as litter box

kdmurray

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, so it's not REALLY his bed, it's the couch, but he sleeps there all the time. He never did this before. He is about 14 years old and we rescued him about a year ago. He has definite social problems. He's great with cuddling, never bites, scratches, or growls. However, he doesn't seem to pick up on things, like my other cat growling at him when he pushes past her to get her food, or us saying 'No'. He really has no clue of what 'wrong' is. That's not really the problem.

The problem is that he eliminates (both urine and feces) on the couch. He actually climbs up (he can't jump) on the couch and will go. It's not like he's there and doesn't want to leave or he can't get to the litter box in time. The other night, he actually climbed up on my lap and immediately peed on me. He lived his whole life in San Diego and he was fine when we had him 6 months there. Then, we moved to Seattle last summer. He was perfectly fine until it started getting cold. Then he started going on the couch. I've steam cleaned it several times but he still goes (and sleeps) there.

Cats don't usually eliminate where they sleep, right?

What can I do?

Kate

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds to me like he's trying to let you know something is wrong, and the first thing I would do is take him to the vet. With him being 14 yr old, he could have some serious physical problem going on. Many that it's only something minor!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by taterbug

It sounds to me like he's trying to let you know something is wrong, and the first thing I would do is take him to the vet. With him being 14 yr old, he could have some serious physical problem going on. Many that it's only something minor!
Yes, this is what it sounds like to me too. I'd get him to the Vet as soon as possible.

Laurie

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At 14, it really sounds like something is wrong with your kitty that needs a visit to the vet. If everything checks out at the vet, there are other things to look at (i.e. number of boxes, types of litter, cleanliness of boxes, etc.) but your first priority right now is a vet check.

I hope everything is ok

Come back and keep us updated!