Any ideas about what could be frightening them?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry, this post is long, but I'm mystified.

A little bit of background: Jamie goes outside for a supervised walk every day wearing a harness. Our fenced-in yard is usually "kitty city", thanks to several catnip plants (right now with dry leaves, as it's winter), bird feeders, and a little pond. Two neighbors' cats, Miezi and Gizmo, are here virtually every day, and we get a lot of other feline visitors whenever Jamie isn't outside for his daily walk (he's a bully).

For the past two weeks, no cats have been visiting our yard, or the adjacent ones. Jamie is still going outside on his leash, but only for just enough time to mark the perimeter of the yard (he's neutered, but still marks). I've talked to Miezi's and Gizmo's owners, and they both say these normally indoor/outdoor cats have been staying inside of their own accord. Our street has a speed limit of 7 k.m.h. / 4.35 m.p.h., so people usually allow their cats to go outside. I walk to and from the train station every day, and I haven't seen any of the cats I usually see outside.

The weather hasn't been frigid the past two weeks, and nobody has seen any strange (tom)cats or stray dogs around. We don't have raccoons, skunks, or opossums around here, though we do get wild boar, foxes and martens. Boars couldn't manage to get into our yard, and I rather doubt a fox could (there are no signs of digging around the fence). Nobody has had their car attacked by martens recently, so I doubt we have one or more hanging around right now; they usually can't resist chewing cables and wires.

There aren't any bears, or wolves in our state, and there are no coyotes outside of zoos.

Hubby has joked that the cats sense an earthquake coming (we get them here), but that doesn't make sense, as they'd flee buildings minutes or maybe hours before a quake, not stay inside, so I think some predator is around.

Does anybody have any ideas? This is starting to freak out me, and Miezi's and Gizmo's owners.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's really strange. They obviously know something mere humans don't -- but what?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

How bizzare Tricia?!
I'm curious to know whats making them like that now?
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

That's really strange. They obviously know something mere humans don't -- but what?
It is really bizarre. Mrs. R., Miezi's meowmy, says she's been on the lookout for birds of prey, but hasn't noticed any. I think it has to be something they're (meaning the cats) smelling. Jamie would view a strange tomcat as a challenge, rather than a threat, so I don't think it's a cat, and he loves dogs,

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

It's times like this when it would be great if they could speak.
Exactly! I was just wondering about snakes, but they'd be hibernating in this weather, and Jamie loves to hunt garter snakes, and was brave enough to confront the abandoned stone python that got into our cellar.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That IS weird. Maybe they sense aliens up there? Or maybe it is an earthquake or something in the "air" - fire????

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really hope no one is capturing them. Maybe the neighbors cats are warmer inside and prefer it that way. It is weird.

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
hm, does sound like a predator thing.

Maybe something was in the neighborhood recently and "marked" the environment?

or maybe it's aliens

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very stange. Hope you figure it out and Jamie can enjoy his walks again.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I walked up and down our street twice today, looking in yards, and again no cats, although it was mild (10°C/50°F). One guy I talked to says he's seen a couple of foxes recently when he's come home from work in the early a.m.. Based on what some town shelter volunteers say, it's just our street where the cats are being wary.

Now I'm wondering if the cats see/smell foxes, and know to keep their distance? That really doesn't make much sense, because we've always had a big fox population, and I've never heard of them attacking cats around here, especially since we have a huge rodent problem (hence so many indoor/outdoor cats), so there's plenty of prey. Jamie probably wouldn't react to the scent of fox, anyway, because he's had some playful interactions with a three-legged one that is kept as a pet.

Jamie refused to go for a walk today. Maybe this is a feline conspiracy designed to drive me over the edge?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is really bizarre! Like Susan said - this is when you really wish they could tell us! We had foxes, coons and possums - and they never seemed to scare the ferals. So I'm mystified.

Laurie

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I recall a TCS member who lives in a farm mentioning fox pee as a cat deterrent. Or was it wolf? Anyway, it was a cat's nemesis urine so in your case it could just be the reason for the cats strange behavior.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yayi

I recall a TCS member who lives in a farm mentioning fox pee as a cat deterrent. Or was it wolf? Anyway, it was a cat's nemesis urine so in your case it could just be the reason for the cats strange behavior.
I know coyote pee is sold as a cat repellent.

That is so strange. It seems like there's a predator hanging around from the cats' behavior. One of my parents cats disappeared a few years ago, all that was left was a few tufts in the backyard.
They think it was a predator. Their other cat refused to go out for some time because of it.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by yayi

Originally Posted by littleraven7726

I know coyote pee is sold as a cat repellent.

That is so strange. It seems like there's a predator hanging around from the cats' behavior. One of my parents cats disappeared a few years ago, all that was left was a few tufts in the backyard.
They think it was a predator. Their other cat refused to go out for some time because of it.
My husband surprised a fox in front of our house this morning when he left for work. I called the local forest rangers' office this afternoon to see if they had an explanation, and was told that a major cull of wild boars has been underway since right after Christmas, and that's probably disturbing the foxes in the woods, so they're hunting in town for the time being.

That makes sense, and we do live pretty much on the edge of our town, give or take a few blocks.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by saya

mystery solved!
Probably. Jamie is back to going outside with me, so I suppose he was just lazy the one day.

The ranger I spoke to is the one who has the three-legged pet fox, and he thinks Jamie is just weird in his likes and dislikes, and that any (other) cat would avoid foxes like the plague.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Probably. Jamie is back to going outside with me, so I suppose he was just lazy the one day.

The ranger I spoke to is the one who has the three-legged pet fox, and he thinks Jamie is just weird in his likes and dislikes, and that any (other) cat would avoid foxes like the plague.
Well, he IS a tad eccentiric -- even for a cat -- no?

Glad the mystery seems to be solved.