Still gaining

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm still gaining weight!!!
In May of 07' I weighed 125. Now I weigh almost 170!!! I know the fact that I'm not working and I eat a lot of junk food doesn't help but I've been off of work in the past and have never gained like this. The most I've ever gained while not working is ten pounds and that took a whole year. I've put on 45 pounds in eight months. Something isn't right. My doctor checked my thyroid and it's fine. I had a physical in Dec. and one of the nurses said it's my birth control (depo) but I've been on that for nine years. Why would I just start gaining weight from it. I'm scheduled to go in every month for a weight check. Maybe my doctor will figure something out. This is just ridiculous.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually the fact that you have been off work in the past and not gained so much is pretty much irrelevant. The older you get, the more difficult it is to lose weight once it's on. I'm not going to ask how old you are, that's just rude, but certainly around the mid 20s then weight tends to catch up with you pretty quickly. All the junk food you eat, perhaps you could burn off well enough at 22..... but it's not going to be the same at 25..... and older, it's even more difficult.

Ok, maybe 45 pounds in the last 8 months would suggest that there's something underlying, so it's always going to be worth getting that checked out
Have you eaten anything different over the Christmas and new year period? I know I definitely piled it on over that time.... I'm going to REALLY have to work it off!!

I would suggest that you drop the junk food. I lost a lot of weight last year just entirely cutting soda out of my diet! Shame I ruined it all this Chrimbo!
There's no substitute for good food and exercise. I'm just getting back into going to the gym and taking long walks and it seems to be helping.

I hope that your check with the doctor goes well hun
Fingers crossed that there isn't anything medical giving you problems.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stress is a huge factor in wieght gain as well, especially in women.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lillikat speaks the truth! The older you get the harder it is to keep the weight off. Your metabolism slows down so the more junk food you eat. I know at 30 I have a difficult time staying slim if I don't mix in exercising 3-4 times a week.

Also, even though it may not be your depo directly my doctor was telling me at my last appointment that your hormones do change the older you get. So perhaps something has changed with your hormones that is contributing to the weight gain.

Hopefully the doctors appointment goes well though and you find your answers.

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

Stress is a huge factor in wieght gain as well, especially in women.
:Yeah: So true. I've always noticed that when I'm stressed out for a long time that my weight goes up a bit.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Amy, if it makes you feel any better, you totally do not look like you weigh 170

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think sometimes there is just a part of your life where things settle down, and you dont go out so much, tend to stay at home, eat less nutritous foods,
and maybe aren't exercising. Once every couple a years things will settle down in my family, I will get comfortable with myself, and the way things are, and thats when I gain the weight! I always thought the stress of being on the go all the time is what kept me at my normal weight!

I dont think 170lbs is that bad either! Depending on how old you are, you could still lose it if you want too! If its a health issue an all then its important but otherwise, whats wrong with a little cooshin for the pushin?? If you go to the gym alot you could turn it into muscle (which weighs more, but looks like less) !! Good luck in whatever you decide to do!

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have that particular kitten stuck to the front of my fridge - which, incidentally, is still stuffed with chocolate and wine left over from christmas!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Lillikat speaks the truth! The older you get the harder it is to keep the weight off. Your metabolism slows down so the more junk food you eat. I know at 30 I have a difficult time staying slim if I don't mix in exercising 3-4 times a week.

Also, even though it may not be your depo directly my doctor was telling me at my last appointment that your hormones do change the older you get. So perhaps something has changed with your hormones that is contributing to the weight gain.

Hopefully the doctors appointment goes well though and you find your answers.
I know metabolisms slow down as you age but for me to gain this much weight this fast, it's like my metabolism just flat lined when I turned 26 last June. It just doesn't seem right.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LilleKat

Actually that IS about right.
25 - 26 is the age when you can expect to have your metabolism do just that.
It's not fair.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

You know what's not fair? When you get older, it gets worse!
Indeed, my metabolism died off completely when I hit 35.
It's also not fair that men go gray and get distinguished looking, while we just start to look tired and old.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My metabolism slowed down when I reached my early 30's too.
I'm not working now either and add in the the holidays....eek!!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

You know what's not fair? When you get older, it gets worse!
I think I read somewhere to expect 10 lbs for every 10 years..something like that. Course I don't remember if it was exercising or not...

Yea, at the ripe old age of 30, I can tell if I go too long without exercising. When I was 26 I was 155-160, and decided to lose the weight...I think it took me a full year to lose the weight, even after completely cutting out junk food and exercising 4-5 times a week.

I now run about 130 (which I'm happy with), but if I skip a week at the gym and continue to eat normally (portioned dinners and a sinful treat everynight), I'm back up 4 lbs...its enough to make the jeans uncomfortable.

Drinking green tea helps speed up your metabolism, but it depends on the person by how much.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, I noticed the steady decline of my metabolism pretty well after college...

I exercise regularily and try to eat healthy..you should try and do the same..its our only chance!

george's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

I'm still gaining weight!!!
In May of 07' I weighed 125. Now I weigh almost 170!!! I know the fact that I'm not working and I eat a lot of junk food doesn't help but I've been off of work in the past and have never gained like this. The most I've ever gained while not working is ten pounds and that took a whole year. I've put on 45 pounds in eight months. Something isn't right. My doctor checked my thyroid and it's fine. I had a physical in Dec. and one of the nurses said it's my birth control (depo) but I've been on that for nine years. Why would I just start gaining weight from it. I'm scheduled to go in every month for a weight check. Maybe my doctor will figure something out. This is just ridiculous.
Check out PCOS (on line) and see if you fit any of those symptoms...especially if you might be Insulin Resistant (your body produces too much insulin and doesn't use it causing you to gain weight) - could be an explanation if you're eating a lot of junk food. People who are IR need to eat a "diabetic diet" and sometimes end up taking meds...