My cat eats VEGETABLES?!

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, I've discovered recently that Shermie likes Red Bell Peppers, Carrots and Celery. In fact right now he's trying to stick his head in my bowl of cut up veggies. I know some human food things are pretty bad for cats - like dairy gives them upset stomach and I've heard that onions kill them. But what about other veggies? Or other foods like popcorn or rice crackers (Sherms likes those too!)?
Are they safe in small (very small) quantities?

Also, do other people's cats have weird human-food tastes?

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by miao_kitty

So, I've discovered recently that Shermie likes Red Bell Peppers, Carrots and Celery. In fact right now he's trying to stick his head in my bowl of cut up veggies. I know some human food things are pretty bad for cats - like dairy gives them upset stomach and I've heard that onions kill them. But what about other veggies? Or other foods like popcorn or rice crackers (Sherms likes those too!)?
Are they safe in small (very small) quantities?

Also, do other people's cats have weird human-food tastes?
How about corn ON the cob? I mean gnawing a whole cob. I keep my photos on several different computer devices so give me some time to dig the pictures up but I assure you, it's true.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

How about corn ON the cob? I mean gnawing a whole cob. I keep my photos on several different computer devices so give me some time to dig the pictures up but I assure you, it's true.
Got lucky, here he is:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of the vets at the practice I take my cats to will steal the spinach out of the salad bowl. I remember a while back seeing a picture of a cat eating watermelon. Of human food I think dairy, onion, garlic, and chocolate are the only things that need to be completely avoided. I remember reading also that pork isn't good for cats either. Other than those things I think a little here and there as a treat doesn't hurt anything.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom's cat love dried apricots, and Willow would share frozen corn with me. I haven't tried many veggies with the current two, but cat do have a lot of strange individual tastes. The carrots shouldn't be a problem in small quantities--a lot of cat foods have them. The celery shouldn't be a problem--it's found in some cat foods as well, like Spot's Stew:
http://cats.about.com/cs/catfood/a/home_cooked.htm I'm not sure about the peppers.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Peppers are also found in many foods ... watch the amount of celery as it is naturally HIGH in salt like higher than potato chips

rirunyan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat stole steamed asparagus and ate it while I went to answer a phone call. So much for dinner. He also loves artichoke hearts with olive oil and vinegar dressing. haha

indigowulf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
another reference list http://www.peteducation.com/article....articleid=1029

The first solid food my kitten ever ate was a (stolen) bit of artificial crab from a subway sandwhich. I guess he got a taste for stolen food cuz the next day he attempted to steal an entire steak off my plate :p

Cocoa only eats cat food. Refuses treats. Yandros is finally learning what is ok for him but still loves human food. Nala eats the weirdest things. I had to chase her out of BFs mac and cheese because its so bad for her.

Just wish more people were aware that feeding a cat human prepared tuna is like feeding a kid cake. Snack only!

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shinobi likes cucumber and peas which i think is a little odd! he is always hungry (was dumped at 12 weeks old) and i think he worries about where his next meal will come from. he has the sweetest little chirrup when he is begging too. infact he is willing to try most foods and has taught milo to beg too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tab

Shinobi likes cucumber and peas which i think is a little odd! he is always hungry (was dumped at 12 weeks old) and i think he worries about where his next meal will come from. he has the sweetest little chirrup when he is begging too. infact he is willing to try most foods and has taught milo to beg too!
Shermie does the chirrup too. He was also a stray and thus will try everything...twice (sometimes three times). It's funny b/c even though he doesn't like salsa, if there's some left on the plate, he'll lick at it, make a face and then lick at it again (and make a face). hehe.

He definitely loves milk-based products the best. Unfortunately...cuz they're so bad for him.

And Luna - she
s Tuna. ;-)

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Boo loves veggies. His favorites are mashed potatoes and peas. He always gets a little of whatever I'm having for supper. He's not a big fan of carrots though.
Oh, and he LOVES oatmeal.