Symptoms of Bowel Obstruction

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, I done a search in this forum looking for an answer before I posted this. I need to know what kind of symptoms there might be for a bowel obstruction, like a hair ball? I think I already have a good idea about a urinary track issue, ?, but never had experience with a bowel problem.

My 3-year old - who is very verbal - is complaining - seemingly ?pain? ... I first noticed a "problem" when I saw him gazing into the litter pan looking as if he was trying to decide to use it, he decided against it, and began grooming his abdomen, and being verbal about it. He was complaining when I was touching him on his back by his tail, but he let me rub his tummy - all the while being verbal - not growling, just his purr talk, but very pathetic purr talk. I'm sure my blood pressure went up a few degrees.

(BTW - he's the one that does the grooming on the two other - (medium length fur) cats - so, for two years I've had no problems with hair balls from him - either vomit or bowel movements.)

When the other two cats came near him while he was attending his lower tummy, near his urethra, he growled at them.

I currently have him secluded in a room, with the litter, water & food so I can observe his bowel or pee - no vomit, he's eating, he's purring, no fever that I can tell, eyes are bright, just seems to be uncomfortable moving around ... haven't noticed him grooming himself. He is currently allowing me to massage his lower tummy and his back - and seems to be comfortable.

So, it's Friday, now 12.00 p.m., and I'm looking at the possibility of, perhaps, having a sick cat over the weekend - but, before I try to get him into the vets today, I'd like some ideas about symptoms that I might look for - especially to be able to tell the doctor when I call.

I trying to be "balanced" about my actions here - usually, I'm running them off to the vets at any little sign of problems, only to find that they are just fine -- yet, I remember the story about the little boy who cried wolf, the one time he really needed help - he didn't get it - --- I don't want to make THAT mistake, either.

Thanks, ahead of time, for any considerations concerning my question.
g

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it's a gastro intestinal obstruction, waiting MIGHT be ok, however I'd be concerned about a urinary tract infection. Keep an eye on him and see if he even urinates. A blocked urethra from a UTI can be fatal, and you would be better off taking him to the vet ASAP. You can always call the vet's office and ask what they think you should do. I do it all the time, lol.

Good luck and to the kitty!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lack of poop .... lack of eating ... lack of being "self"

OBSTRUCTIONS often need surgery and should NOT be wait and seed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you - He seems to be comfortable right now - I have him in a room - with his own litter box so I can observe what he's puttin' out, and not get confused with the two other's stuff.

I totally understand about the UTI - but, at this point don't think that's the issue.

When I call my vet, they won't offer any help over the phone, I have to make an appointment - guess they're afraid of getting sued, I don't want to think it's because they want the $$ from the office visit.

Thanks, again for your help.
g

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Lack of poop .... lack of eating ... lack of being "self"

OBSTRUCTIONS often need surgery and should NOT be wait and seed

don't know about the lack of poop - I cleaned out the litter this a.m., and had the usual amount from the night ... but keeping a litter pan just for him so I can have a better idea

there's no lack of eating - good appetite

the lack of "self" is a good "alert" - think that's the part that threw me first of all ... but, now, he seems fine

I'm on alert - appreciate your help!
g

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GloriaJH

Thank you - He seems to be comfortable right now - I have him in a room - with his own litter box so I can observe what he's puttin' out, and not get confused with the two other's stuff.

I totally understand about the UTI - but, at this point don't think that's the issue.

When I call my vet, they won't offer any help over the phone, I have to make an appointment - guess they're afraid of getting sued, I don't want to think it's because they want the $$ from the office visit.

Thanks, again for your help.
g
Ha - I was w-r-o-n-g, it's probably UTI - the litter pan and KiKi proved that there is a urinary issue - he sat in that pan for about 40 seconds, and only produced a few drops - we have an appointment at 3:30 p.m. today.

Thanks everyone.

Oh, BTW - what should I expect them to do while he's there? Any info?
g