What's so great about Royal Canin?

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can someone please tell me? I was talking to a breeder and she said she insists that new owners feed her kittens Royal Canin pet food because it's the best food out there and she wants them to feed the best food they can. They seem to really love the stuff, but from the ingredients I can't figure out what is so wonderful about it? It looks like it may have more corn than meat? I would really like someone to explain it to me!

Here is their Kitten 34 Formula:

Ingredients: Chicken meal, rice, corn gluten meal, corn, chicken fat (naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols, rosemary extract and citric acid), chicken, dried egg powder, natural chicken flavor, pea fiber, beet pulp (sugar removed), salmon oil, dried brewers yeast, sodium silico aluminate, potassium chloride, fructo-oligosaccharides, choline chloride, sodium chloride, L-lysine, brewers yeast extract (Saccharomyces cerevisiae fermentation solubles), calcium carbonate, sodium tripolyphosphate, taurine, Vitamins [dl-alpha tocopherol (source of vitamin E), L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C*), niacin, biotin, riboflavin (vitamin B2), d-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin B12 supplement, folic acid, vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement], Trace Minerals [zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, calcium iodate], marigold extract.

If someone showed me that ingredients list above and told me it cost $20 for a 7 lb bag, and then showed me the ingredients list of the food I am feeding my foster kitten (see below) which costs about $16 for an 8 lb bag and asked me which is better, I'd say it was the one I'm feeding. Yet, so many breeders and owners say how wondering Royal Canin is, so what am I missing here?

By Nature Kitten food, for comparison--
Ingredients:
Chicken Meal, Ground Barley, Chicken Fat (Stabilized with Mixed Tocopherols), Ground Oats, Chicken, Chicken Livers, Ground Brown Rice, Flaxseed Meal, Tomato Pomace, Natural Flavors, Alfalfa Meal, Fish Meal, Fish Oil (Natural Source of DHA), Yeast Culture, Salt, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Blueberries, Cranberries, Dried Chicory Root, Raspberries, Turmeric, Niacin Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Sulfate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Rosemary Extract, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Dried Yeast Fermentation Solubles.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like it - Charlie has to be on the RC for Urinary now, but he was on the Beauty & Fit - I like the way it helps with coat, muscle, etc.

There are a lot of good foods out there. Charlie's breeder used to feed Iams (like I did) but they've changed the formula and its not as good as it was - so she switched to the RC.

We us RC dry and various canned foods.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do NOT like RC. It's packed with grains, and holy buckets its expensive!

IMO, the best food out there depends on the kitty. If I fed RC, I'd have one sick kitty out of my bunch as corn makes her ill!

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not on my top list of great foods. My cats didn't do well on Royal Canin dry. I had one barfing, and 2 of them got constipated. My in-laws' cat is on the Indoor 27 and he's chunked out.
I swear that cat is always hungry. (I feel bad for him, poor guy).

Personally I think Eukanuba Kitten is really great. I've seen a lot of kittens do really well on it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekochan

Can someone please tell me? I was talking to a breeder and she said she insists that new owners feed her kittens Royal Canin pet food because it's the best food out there and she wants them to feed the best food they can. They seem to really love the stuff, but from the ingredients I can't figure out what is so wonderful about it? It looks like it may have more corn than meat? I would really like someone to explain it to me!

Here is their Kitten 34 Formula:

Ingredients: Chicken meal, rice
, corn gluten meal, cornone is good but not both in same formula, chicken fat (naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols, rosemary extract and citric acid), chicken, dried egg powder, natural chicken flavor, pea fiber, beet pulp (sugar removed), salmon oil, dried brewers yeast, sodium silico aluminate, potassium chloride, fructo-oligosaccharides, choline chloride, sodium chloride, L-lysine, brewers yeast extract (Saccharomyces cerevisiae fermentation solubles), calcium carbonate, sodium tripolyphosphate, taurine, Vitamins [dl-alpha tocopherol (source of vitamin E), L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C*), niacin, biotin, riboflavin (vitamin B2), d-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin B12 supplement, folic acid, vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement], Trace Minerals [zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, calcium iodate], marigold extract.

If someone showed me that ingredients list above and told me it cost $20 for a 7 lb bag, and then showed me the ingredients list of the food I am feeding my foster kitten (see below) which costs about $16 for an 8 lb bag and asked me which is better, I'd say it was the one I'm feeding. Yet, so many breeders and owners say how wondering Royal Canin is, so what am I missing here?

By Nature Kitten food, for comparison--
Ingredients:
Chicken Meal, Ground Barley,wheats sister
, Chicken Fat (Stabilized with Mixed Tocopherols), Ground Oats, Chicken, Chicken LiversI dont like organs in dry food .. if this was 10-12th ingrediant no issue, Ground Brown Rice, Flaxseed Meal, Tomato Pomace, Natural Flavors, Alfalfa MealPotential allergen most have removed, Fish Meal, Fish Oil (Natural Source of DHA)whose??, Yeast Culture, Salt, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Blueberries, Cranberries, Dried Chicory Root, Raspberries, Turmeric, Niacin Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Sulfate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Rosemary Extract, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Dried Yeast Fermentation Solubles.
RC .. one meat two grains.... LOTS LOTS of Research.... I prefer 1 to 1

By nature ... 2 meats 3 grains 2 grain likes.... this is grainy in my book

calicoprincess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't think that there is anything that great about the RC foods. I think that too often people assume that the highest priced food is automatically better then the other foods but this is not always true. I actually had this discussion with my vet recently. They promote RC at the office and I asked him about the food I feed which is Authority. I don't have the list of ingredients with me right now but the main ingredient in Authority is real chicken, not chicken meal. My vet basically said that they promote the RC because it is packaged locally so they know where it comes from. He did also tell me that he agreed that the ingredients in the Authority food seemed to be slightly better but said that since he doesn't know where it is made, he cannot vouch for the quality.

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The big difference I see between RC and many cheaper corn-based supermarket foods is that it doesn't contain by-products. I'm sure that's a big factor for many who choose it. But I agree, I don't see why it's so pricey.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Innova EVO is much better than RC, however, Scotty got constipated on EVO (after a year of feeding it to him), and developed a UTI on Innova Reduced Fat (has more fiber than EVO). He's on RC Urinary SO now, and I prefer it to Hills Science Diet. The price is about the same as well.

Personally, if I were spending that much money on food and I didn't need to feed RC, I'd be with EVO still. The ingredients are just much better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok sorta related question... To those who DON'T like Royal Canin (or the other food I posted the ingredients for) what in your opinion is a really good kitten food?
Thanks!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Ok sorta related question... To those who DON'T like Royal Canin (or the other food I posted the ingredients for) what in your opinion is a really good kitten food?
Thanks!
That's going to depend on the kitten & person choosing the food.

Some like Nutro/MAX. It's not that great, IMO.
I like Chicken Soup or Diamond Naturals if you need good & cheap.
Maybe an all lifestages like Innova, California Naturals, or Natural Balance?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
depends what your goal is...

Chicken soup ,Max , Diamond naturals are all lower priced good foods ... the best bang for the buck is Costco 25lbs for 11-14 $

If litter box odur or hairballs are a concern
Natural choice , California natural

If you want to get closer to a natural diet then try grain frees most are all stage and IMHO are TRUE all stage since the protien and fat are very nice

I dont like Natural balence since it is too close to most adult to senior foods not matching up % wise with most kitten... good food for older ones IMHO...

If you want holistic

Wellness, Solid gold and Innova are good ... I would try the wellness first

I had a talk with a pet store mgr once about RC ... both of us agreed if they lowered the price about 10 bucks a bag more would think better of it

Chicken is mostly water as a first ingrediant and after cooking is about the 6th ... the label is raw so NAMED meal is HIGHLY preferred by most over just meat... I like both .. ideal to me IMHO chicken then chicken meal ...

calicoprincess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Thanks!
If you have a petsmart close, try Authority. It has real chicken, less grains then a lot of foods and I am pretty sure (again don't have the bag with me now) that it has no by-products. I used to feed a mix of RC and Authority food but Authority recently switched their food to no byproducts and I switched to all Authority.

ETA: I just read the last posters response and figured I would add, the Authority food does contain both chicken and chicken meal, in the order chicken, chicken meal.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CalicoPrincess

If you have a petsmart close, try Authority. It has real chicken, less grains then a lot of foods and I am pretty sure (again don't have the bag with me now) that it has no by-products. I used to feed a mix of RC and Authority food but Authority recently switched their food to no byproducts and I switched to all Authority.
lol.. Authority has some other issues... I have read that with RC side by side and very little difference ... authority for the old price was a bargin now it is with alot of other base level premiums IMHO

calicoprincess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

lol.. Authority has some other issues... I have read that with RC side by side and very little difference ... authority for the old price was a bargin now it is with alot of other base level premiums IMHO
I did forget that the price went up too.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks!
I mentioned Eukanuba in my other post. Based on many kittens who ate it when I worked in a shelter (a period of 2 years). A lot of kittens couldn't handle Purina Kitten Chow, for those who couldn't we tried Nutro (Max & Natural Choice) or Eukanuba. It was my experience that more kittens tolerated and did well on Eukanuba. My sister raised her 2 cats on Eukanuba kitten too. I think it also must taste better too, kitties prefered it to most foods if given a choice.

I know it has by-products and corn, but I also know how many kitties did well on it.

Note-the kitties who got special food had already been wormed, and it had been established the food was an issue.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

I mentioned Eukanuba in my other post. Based on many kittens who ate it when I worked in a shelter (a period of 2 years). A lot of kittens couldn't handle Purina Kitten Chow, for those who couldn't we tried Nutro (Max & Natural Choice) or Eukanuba. It was my experience that more kittens tolerated and did well on Eukanuba. My sister raised her 2 cats on Eukanuba kitten too. I think it also must taste better too, kitties prefered it to most foods if given a choice.

I know it has by-products and corn, but I also know how many kitties did well on it.

Note-the kitties who got special food had already been wormed, and it had been established the food was an issue.
if kittys are having issues ... I understand a less digestable food helping ... lol yeah liver is tasty

I have tried eukanuba many times ( before I got a nutrition education) and NONE of the animals would eat it ... but then again I later found out two of them were allergic to corn and at that time a chemical preservative was used ..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am just looking for the highest-quality kitten food possible. Price is not a consideration so if it's also the most expensive that is fine. I am looking for a food specifically for kittens because Maine Coon kittens have a lot of growing to do. The only two I could find which seemed fairly good (no corn or wheat, good amount of meat) were By Nature and Wellness Kitten.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Royal Canin is ok but as others have said, too expensive for what it is. I feed RC Persian mixed with Nutro. My cats also get a little EVO canned every day. I tried EVO dry and got smelly, stinky gas and runny stools. It's always amazed me how they do fine on EVO canned but not EVO dry. Maybe it's because they're only eating a small amount of the canned. If your kitten was doing well on RC Kitten then I'd hesitate to change it at this time. Or if you must, then do it very very slowly. (I would say that no matter what brand you were switching from/to.) Good luck!