nail clippers?

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a human clipper. It cuts more neatly than the kitty clippers I've seen and used.

Some outdoor cats, or very active indoor ones, don't need clipping because they wear their claws down. Mine are a bit too lazy for that.
Even Baby, with her frantic running to and fro at the drop of a hat, tends to lounge most of the day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bloob & valo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi missymotus,

Thanks, I see the differences now. I appreciate you taking the time to post the links.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the small ones for cats, they are most every pet store.

raggiekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, I have one similar to the one shown above and the scissor type...I use regular human clippers....just find it easier to see what I'm doing and get a nice cut.

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use both cat clippers and human ones. Whichever I have on hand. I only do the front claws cause all of them wear their back claws down on their own. My cat clippers I bought at Walmart, the cheap ones.

beturtlement

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've tried three different types of clippers: the small scissor type, the guillotine type, and human clippers. The guillotine one was a bit unwieldy, and seemed to frighten Niko. The scissor type worked well for the most part, but didn't seem to cut cleanly. The regular human clippers are my fav since they're small and not at all intimidating to him, plus they're easy to handle and cut cleanly.

A tip: they sometimes crush the nail a little if you use them normally, so I turn it to the side and cut so that the "blades" are vertical to the nail, instead. Makes a much cleaner cut. I've found that some of his claws grow thicker than others, and cutting vertically is the only way to go or the nail doesn't fit between the blades.

raggiekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beturtlement

I've tried three different types of clippers: the small scissor type, the guillotine type, and human clippers. The guillotine one was a bit unwieldy, and seemed to frighten Niko. The scissor type worked well for the most part, but didn't seem to cut cleanly. The regular human clippers are my fav since they're small and not at all intimidating to him, plus they're easy to handle and cut cleanly.

A tip: they sometimes crush the nail a little if you use them normally, so I turn it to the side and cut so that the "blades" are vertical to the nail, instead. Makes a much cleaner cut. I've found that some of his claws grow thicker than others, and cutting vertically is the only way to go or the nail doesn't fit between the blades.
I turn mine vertically too and it makes it much easier to see what you're doing and get a good cut!

eliot'smom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use human scissor clippers...works great! It helps that my guy has clear nails...I am always terrified of hitting the quick.

wildflower79

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use the human clippers as well. I tried the scissors type clippers in the beginning but they seem to freak Gizmo out, making nail trimming quite a challenge.

Thanks for the tip about cutting the nails vertical. I'm going to have to try that next time.

catessa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with using a human clipper. I use a big toe nail clipper and turn it vertically too, so the claw lines up with the blades l,l