How to keep my floor clean from Litter Boxes?

bloob & valo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I have two cats and three litterboxes, all next to each other because I live in a small apartment.

They are on a hardwood floor and the floor looks terrible! There's litter everywhere, and even after I sweep the floor, it still looks dirty/chalky plus litter gets all over it soon afterward, whenever they come out of the boxes.

What do you do?

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a littermat, but I have the same issue, stuff all over the floor. I will be interested in the responses you get.
It is the one thing that drives my husband crazy about the cats.
I have 2 cats and they share a litterbox.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bloob & valo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I used to have one litterbox for both of them...until they started peeing all over the place because the box was too dirty for them to pee in (unlike my bed lol)

So three takes a longer time to get dirty (plus I clean the poop out every day unless I'm away)

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm, my floor doesn't get that bad. I have a littermat under the litterbox, and then I sweep every couple days. There doesn't seem to be an unruly amount of litter on the floor for me..

One question, are your litterboxes covered ones? Because if not, they may just keep kicking litter out all the time

bloob & valo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, no, mine are not covered. Do the covered ones make a big difference? And what kind of litter mat do you have? Can you send me a link for both (covered litter box and litter mat?)

bloob & valo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,

Fresh Step in one (not clumping) and World's Best in the other two.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bloob & valo

Hi,

Fresh Step in one (not clumping) and World's Best in the other two.
You might want to try a scooping clay litter in that third box, instead of the standard clay. Your kitties may like that better. The standard clay tends to get stinky quicker.

As far as the litter tracking on the hardwood, my sister has a Dirt Devil Broom Vac. And my MIL just uses a broom and dust pan.
Mine are on carpet, so I have to vacuum.

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Watch the mats on wood floors as some floors don't like the backing on some mats.

I bought a couple of cheapo bath towels in colors that go with the room the litter boxes are in. In a pinch, I can just pull the sides of the towels up to the litterbox, so the spilled litter is hidden next to the box. And it's easy to wash the towels weekly.

bloob & valo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, thanks for all the great ideas! I'm considering between the towels and mat, and thinking about the devil dirt vac, and also that amazing looking litter box. Brandi, do you have this litterbox or is it on your wishlist?

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 4 of those litter boxes the 5th is on my wish list! I love them they are awesome!! Very simple to use and even easier to clean! The fith one I have now looks like this
and it works pretty good for the basement then I have two roll-n-cleans upstairs one in our room one in the living room 2 roll-n-cleans downstairs and the one you see in the picture downstairs.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of mine, I had that problem with; I put it inside a big cardboard box and now I just dump the litter from the box back into the litter box when the cats kick it out.

bloob & valo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That sounds like a great idea! So let me get this right, they jump over a cardboard box (surrounding the litter box) into the litter box? And then whatever they kick out falls in the card board box (which the litter box is inside of)?

bloob & valo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! I just ordered that litter box and a mat! Thanks for your advice, I can't wait to set it up and get a neat floor!

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found using a non-clay litter to be helpful in preventing damage to wood floors from dust & scratching caused by clay litter. There are several options: Feline Pine, Nature's Miracle (or Fresh Results - same thing), World's Best, Yesterday's News, etc. I've only personally used Feline Pine (a non-clumping pine pellet litter) and Fresh Results (a clumping litter made from corn cobs), but those never caused any damage to the floors - they're too soft to scratch the floor, and don't make any dust.

ortal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use a litter mat that I bought at petco... but it was over priced.

I'd say invest in a hand vac, thats the best solution I have found so far.