Dick VanPatten's Natural Balance

kaete

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Has anyone tried this brand? What can you tell me about the quality? I picked some up the other day just to see if Kit would like it, and it's one of the few I've tried recently that he loves... he scarfed down the venison & green pea formula this morning! I was surprised, as he's not a huge fan of wet. These are the ingredients.

Venison, Venison Broth, Venison Liver, Pea Flour, Venison Meal, Salmon Oil, Dicalcium Phosphate, Kelp, Flaxseed, Guar Gum, Potassium Chloride, Methionine, Taurine, Parsley, Dried Cranberries, Yucca Schidigera, Sodium Chloride, Carrageenan, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate,Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Niacin Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Pantothenate, Calcium Iodate,Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin, Vitamin A Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/cat...d.html#Chicken

That is the website with all the ingredients; we also bought a couple of the other formulas. Just curious about your take on them...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
good food .... and many kitties like it

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Been using this food (NB dry) for at least 1 year - with canned Trader Joes' cat food - the cats aren't so fond of the NB canned food that's available in this area.

Everything seems balanced (no pun intended here
) now that we've settled on this routine of feeding.

I've tried Wellness - dry - and they absolutely LOVE it, but, it's too ?rich/?strong for their systems - and soon get loose bowels. I keep it on hand for a healthy treat. I also have the Wellness canned - sometimes they like it, sometimes they don't - three cats with three different preferences - TJ's canned is the only one all three agree on.

Our Pet Luv here doesn't carry the NB Venison flavor - wished it did - because that flavor was the one canned food of NB that they liked.

jencat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's one of the brands I rotate with Bradley (the canned food). His favorites are the Turkey and Giblets, Chicken and Liver, Indoor, and Ultra formulas. He gets the salmon formula occasionally as a treat. I sent them an email once asking for the calcium and phosphorous percentages in their dry food because they don't list it on their website but they didn't respond so I never tried it.

misskiwi67

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use it exclusively for my allergy dog. I personally believe that the limited antigen diets should be reserved for those animals with food allergies, but I cannot dispute the quality and palatability of the food. Just stick to one formula and save the more exotic proteins for later... just in case.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misskiwi67

I use it exclusively for my allergy dog. I personally believe that the limited antigen diets should be reserved for those animals with food allergies, but I cannot dispute the quality and palatability of the food. Just stick to one formula and save the more exotic proteins for later... just in case.
that is what I believe too.. unfortunately all of the NOVEL proteins are now found in main stream food s.. exotic meat now for the US would be kangaroo

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was giving that stuff to my two for a while, it's a good food. Then they just decided that they didn't like it anymore...both at the same time! I wasn't a big fan of the way it smells and I used to think that all cat food smells like that but now i feed them Merrick food (mostly the chicken/turkey/beef kinds) and it doesn't have a strong odor at all (tho the fish ones do). So, anyway, a rambling answer for - Yes, it's a good food and kitties like it. Mine just don't ;-)

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really like it! The Indoor Formula (it used to be the Hairball formula) is a regular part of Mattie's wet food line up.

jeep_kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We use it for our dogs, had them on Solid Gold but they still had constant dry skin, switched to potato and duck allergy formula and it cleared up within 2 weeks!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jeep_Kitty

We use it for our dogs, had them on Solid Gold but they still had constant dry skin, switched to potato and duck allergy formula and it cleared up within 2 weeks!
YOU likely have grain allergies .... SG is FILLED with them.. likely cuplrit barley as it is wheat sister and identical in gluten ie protein profile

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's one of the brands I feed Swanie & Cindy. I like the quality and they like some of the flavors. I think the chicken is grain free.

jeep_kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

YOU likely have grain allergies .... SG is FILLED with them.. likely cuplrit barley as it is wheat sister and identical in gluten ie protein profile
TY Sharky, I am learning so much from this forum!