Cats preferring one human over another

kerryn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I saw the other thread, but was curious why cats sometimes preffer one person over another. Me and my fiance, Rob, have two 10 month old kittens. Rattus, male and Ralph, female.
We give equal love to both our kittens. Rattus shows us both equal love back, and sometimes will go back and forth between us on the couch because he can't decide who to receive pats from.
Ralph however, in the last 2 months or so, has decided that I am all that matters. Ralph will sit on Rob and receive pats, but the minute I sit down she will meow and come over to me. I am also the only one she will give the affectionate head butts to, and she will meow at the toilet door when I am in there, wanting to come and sit on my lap. Sometimes Ralph will not allow Rob to pat her, and she runs away.
Any insight?

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why do some people have a preferance for a certain cat or other people? I don't think there's any specific reason in cases like yours. In some cases it might have to do with who they've spent more time with but even that isn't a "rule". I raised Frankie as a bottle baby and she seems to have a slight preferance toward my husband who she's only known half her life.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kerryn

Any insight?
I have no insight but you are not alone. Alley wants to snuggle her head up under my chin and sleep at night. I don't know why she picked me for this. In the case of Persi, he hangs around me real close when I am eating because he knows I will give in and give him a treat.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No clue exactly why, but Bella absolutely prefers DH. He says it's because his lap is flatter

Stan loves us both (almost too much). I have never seen such bliss as that boy sitting on your lap getting belly rubs

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've found they tend to gravitate towards people of (their) opposite sex, just like we do, but it's not hard and fast.

calicoprincess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Larke

I've found they tend to gravitate towards people of (their) opposite sex, just like we do, but it's not hard and fast.
I was kind of wondering if that had something to do with it. In my house, it is the boys that favor me and our girl likes her daddy more!