TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Want to get my senior female cat a companion, possibly?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Want to get my senior female cat a companion, possibly?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
I'll try to be brief, I got my cat 10 years ago. She's 11 years old now, so I got her when she was one year old. We got it from a woman my mom knew who had to get rid of 1 of her 3 cats because she was moving. The thing with Dixie is, she didn't play well with other cats.

Next fall, I'm going away for grad school and I can't bring her, so she'll be living at home. She likes my parents but I think she'll still be lonely since I'm pretty much her best friend. Anyway, I was wondering if I could get a companion cat and what type might be best to get along? Would she even be able to get along with another cat now versus when she was years ago when she was <1 year old.

She's spayed. Would a better companion cat be a male neutered cat?

Thanks for reading.
post #2 of 13
At 11, if she's lived alone her entire life she's not really likely to readily accept another cat. She might tolerate another one in the home, but it most likely wouldn't be her companion. I'd just see how she does. If she's utterly miserable once you leave, then consider another kitty. But, I just don't know how willing she'll be to accept another cat at her age.
post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by white cat lover View Post
At 11, if she's lived alone her entire life she's not really likely to readily accept another cat. She might tolerate another one in the home, but it most likely wouldn't be her companion. I'd just see how she does. If she's utterly miserable once you leave, then consider another kitty. But, I just don't know how willing she'll be to accept another cat at her age.
I've been away from her a year before, and she was pretty lonely and lost some weight (maybe a good thing?)

Maybe she's better at home where there's a bit more action, then with me at school where I'm away a lot studying at the library and classes.


Also, you know how when you scratch a female cat's back right to where the tail meets the back, the cat raises its rear. Does that mean she is still willing to mate, even though she's spayed? Does that mean I could get a male to "play" with her?
post #4 of 13
Completely honest, if you already have feelings of her not getting along with other cats, it probably isn't the best idea. Is it your families suggestion or yours for her to have a kitty companion? Also if it is your parents looking after them, what are they thinking. If you are leaving her home, she is going to have some seperation anxiety, and getting another kitty doesn't replace this, especially with the past experience. She could simply be a one kitty home kind of cat. If you really are considering getting another, make sure it is within plenty of time before you leave the home, so she can adjust to another before possibly dealing with the loss of you and an intruder in her home......
post #5 of 13
She might act bad to a new Cat because she is a only Cat. It is hard to say what will happen if you get another Cat.
post #6 of 13
A younger neutered male would probably work best, but he would have to be more settled - so you are looking at a 3-5 yr old laid back neutered male.

However, females tend to be more territorial and being 11 yrs old, she probably thinks of being a queen and would not want a companion. If you really want to get her company, then you should introduce the new cat now - not later cause it could take till you go to collage for her to accept him.

My 10 yr old male was very accepting of a kitten, but then again, he loved kittens and mothered them and was laid back to start. 10 yr old female might not be that accepting.
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldfusion View Post
Also, you know how when you scratch a female cat's back right to where the tail meets the back, the cat raises its rear. Does that mean she is still willing to mate, even though she's spayed? Does that mean I could get a male to "play" with her?
Oh, honey, they all do that! Some don't like being scratched back there, tho'.
I don't think it has any bearing on whether or not she would accept a male cat.
post #8 of 13
Well..
I have a 16 yrs old, a 10 yrs old and 2 yrs old that i brought as a kitten and was castrated... BUT he is still so playful like a little devil and the other two just dont want to play... so he bothers them a little...
they groom each other sometimes and all sleep on the same bed (with me) but in my personal opinion, they would do ok without him...
If anyway you think you want to bring her companion, in my opinion a neutered female will be better because i think males are more naughty and playful and agressive....

Good luck !
post #9 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieBee View Post
Oh, honey, they all do that! Some don't like being scratched back there, tho'.
I don't think it has any bearing on whether or not she would accept a male cat.
I figured it was the females way of showing she was ready to mate.

So does that mean her hormones are still going and she could potentially mate with a male? I feel bad that she's been abstinent her whole life. lol
post #10 of 13
I have been told that female cats still have a mothering instinct, and maybe bringing in a male kitten would be ok.

As for the scratching above the tail thing, my male cats love that too. They arch up their back and get all affectionate. I guess it is a good feeling thing and not a sexual thing.

My three kitties hate being home without mom and dad, so when we go on vacation we have to have one of two people house sit and live and sleep at the house, so I understand your concerns.
post #11 of 13
With her history, I personally wouldnt get another cat. I never recommend a kitten for cats of that age, as mine have never tolerated anything younger than 2yo. Cats doing that doesn't mean she would want to mate. I have found a male/female combination to be better than female/female.
post #12 of 13
I made a terrible mistake of getting a young cat to keep my senior cat company. He attacked her every chance he got. He wanted to play, she wanted to be left alone. It got so bad, I had to keep them separated when I wasn't home, and referree when I was. Please don't make the same mistake I did. I asked advice too, and got little hints that there might be a problem, no one was as direct as I ma being with you. I wish they had. Of course we mostly learn from our own mistakes. I am saying don't do it!!

Let the old girl enjoy her senior years in peace.
post #13 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailuvscats View Post
I made a terrible mistake of getting a young cat to keep my senior cat company. He attacked her every chance he got. He wanted to play, she wanted to be left alone. It got so bad, I had to keep them separated when I wasn't home, and referree when I was. Please don't make the same mistake I did. I asked advice too, and got little hints that there might be a problem, no one was as direct as I ma being with you. I wish they had. Of course we mostly learn from our own mistakes. I am saying don't do it!!

Let the old girl enjoy her senior years in peace.
I'll be taking your advice. Thanks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Behavior
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Want to get my senior female cat a companion, possibly?