LDG....I have a question....

carwashcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Laurie, how do I get a letter head, the liscense for the non-profit org.? Do you know? You have give me so much from the last post u sent to me!
I can't thank you enough!

Monique

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We did it back when we actually had a lawyer, and he handled everything. But I'm pretty sure you can find the stuff you need on line. It's different in every state - at least registering the company is. In NJ it cost $100. Once the company is registered (you could use the name Car Wash Cats. !! I love it!!), then you file for a tax ID number for the organization. I don't know if there's a registration fee for that or not. And how you actually file for the 501(3)c status (tax-free), I don't know.

I'm pretty sure a search for "create TX company" or "file for new TX company" or maybe try "create Texas limited liability corp" or something like that will get you headed in the right direction. We formed an LLC, (a limited liability Corp) so there was almost no paperwork. We needed a board, and we wrote up a mission statement - but I think that was more for the tax-free status than something required to register the LLC.

I'm hoping Whispering Cats will post, because I think they're just going through the steps now.

Sorry I can't be of more help! We're friends with the guy who was our lawyer, so I'll give him a shout tomorrow and ask what to do and where you need to look. Doubt he'll know TX specifically, but the steps involved shouldn't be so different.

Laurie

opilot

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Librarian here - your local public reference librarian will be able to help you with this question. (we get alot) There are books from a press called "NOLO"
which deal with legal issues. One of them is on how to incorporate a non profit.

Hope this helps!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carwashcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

We did it back when we actually had a lawyer, and he handled everything. But I'm pretty sure you can find the stuff you need on line. It's different in every state - at least registering the company is. In NJ it cost $100. Once the company is registered (you could use the name Car Wash Cats. !! I love it!!), then you file for a tax ID number for the organization. I don't know if there's a registration fee for that or not. And how you actually file for the 501(3)c status (tax-free), I don't know.

I'm pretty sure a search for "create TX company" or "file for new TX company" or maybe try "create Texas limited liability corp" or something like that will get you headed in the right direction. We formed an LLC, (a limited liability Corp) so there was almost no paperwork. We needed a board, and we wrote up a mission statement - but I think that was more for the tax-free status than something required to register the LLC.

I'm hoping Whispering Cats will post, because I think they're just going through the steps now.

Sorry I can't be of more help! We're friends with the guy who was our lawyer, so I'll give him a shout tomorrow and ask what to do and where you need to look. Doubt he'll know TX specifically, but the steps involved shouldn't be so different.

Laurie
Originally Posted by opilot

Librarian here - your local public reference librarian will be able to help you with this question. (we get alot) There are books from a press called "NOLO"
which deal with legal issues. One of them is on how to incorporate a non profit.

Hope this helps!
I'm sure both are a tremedous help! and I will be starting a bit of research
tonight! Thanks to both of you for taking the time to help me!
oh and my BIL's, BIL is our city attnorey! I know he can help
me with the Texas Laws! But I will be going to the library before I go see him!
Ok ya'll, can I do all of this on my own?

Thanks so much!!!
Monique