Picking up new kitten-- what to bring?

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wasn't sure which forum this topic belonged in so I figured I'd put it here.

I'm picking up my brother's Maine Coon kitten this weekend and I was hoping for some advice on what I should bring along with me? I will be staying over at a relative's house for one night after I get the kitten before driving back to my city.
So far I have on my list: litter, litterbox, food/water dishes, food brand the breeder uses, carrier, collar and tag.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few towels for the carrier (2) and an extra couple of towels in case of accident. Also roll of paper towels and a few plastic bags for any clean up. And bottled water - bring 1/2 dozen or a gallon of drinking water from the store.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since it's your brother's Maine Coon, bring a worn (out) T shirt with his smell on it as well. The kitten can get used to his smell quicker!

Also, in case of any accidents bring some baby wet wipes...clean up will be a breeze!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys! The baby wipes sounds like a really good idea. I'll have to see if I have any of those around from the dogs...

teddybaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also bring something kitty can play with. Water bottle lids, scrunched up paper, pretty much anything u can move he will play with. Try to get a toy from ur brother's house too...just so he has something he is familiar with.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys! Everything went really well, and the Maine Coon kitten and I are home now, we got home this morning. She is SO tiny and sweet, she just cuddled up with everyone on the trip, even my cousin's children. She was a little scared and needy but that's to be expected since she was just separated from her mom and littermates. She is settling in now.

Here is a pic of her sitting on my cousin's son's shoulder (she eventually fell asleep there!)

and here she is checking out the fish tank:

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is exactly 12 weeks old today. I'll find out what she weighs probably at the vet later today but yeah she seems a bit small to me... It may be she looks especially small because I am used to this stray rescue foster kitten I've been caring for who is just huge-- he was over 4 lbs at 11-12 weeks and I'm pretty sure the vet estimated his age right because his teeth development has been right on track for his age.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah but MC kittens are a larger breed. IMO she should be larger. Hope the breeder didn't make a mistake on the birthdate

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey I'm back from the vet. She weighed in at 2.81 pounds.

My 14 week old stray rescue DSH foster kitten was also at the vet today, and he weighed in at 4.69 pounds! I had my vet take a look at his teeth to double check on his age, and she said that as I thought, the tooth development is consistent with 12-14 weeks old. Big boy!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is gonna be a little girl if she only weighs that much! Probably should be on kitten food for a year. Is she spayed yet?

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No she's not spayed, my vet does not like to spay before 6 months old and the breeder advises waiting until 7 months.
She is a little thin.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is small....I just bathed/groomed an 8 week old yesterday and looked about the same size!

Just asking but what's with the brown ruff around her neck in the first pic? It looks all black in the 2nd pic!

jencat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What a cute kitten! She's on the petite side but she could still grow into a big girl. My maine coon Hunter, was the runt of his litter. He was into week 12 before he weighed in at 2 pounds. He's now 13 1/2 pounds at 12 months. He's no where near the size of his dad but he's still growing. Kaley my other maine coon was also tiny when I got her at 4 months. She had a growth spurt though and grew very quickly. She's 11.4 pounds at 11 months old.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abymummy

Just asking but what's with the brown ruff around her neck in the first pic? It looks all black in the 2nd pic!
The brown ruff is a band of bright sunlight that apparently happened to just strike at the right spot!