PayPal

zao_cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How does Paypal work and is it safe. I want to become a premium member so I filled out the paypal stuff and gave them my bank account number. It still says that I am unverified. Does it take a while to become verified?

sherral46

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zao_cat

How does Paypal work and is it safe. I want to become a premium member so I filled out the paypal stuff and gave them my bank account number. It still says that I am unverified. Does it take a while to become verified?
I have used it for years never had any problems, ,it will be verifed soon.Takes a little while.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zao_cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OK, thanks. Do I just load my account with money and then use it to pay other sites?

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've used payPal for years. I have a credit card tied to it because I like the ability to dispute a payment if needed. I'm not comfortable linking it to my bank account, so I've never done it. I am not verified and am still able to make plenty of purchases.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zao_cat

Check your bank account for a couple of small deposits from them (usually something like .12 cents. kind of thing), then you have to log back in to Paypal and verify it yourself. You need to write down what those amounts are and that verifies it. It may take time for the amounts to show up, so keep checking.

As for your other question about how it works... you put money from y our checking account into the Paypal account and thus are able to buy things, like on eBay, by simply sending the amount from email to email via Paypal. It's easy, and much safer than most payment methods.

And if you ever, EVER get a random email about needing to verify your password and such, don't click on that link... it's a spoof email. Or Fishing, whatever they're calling it these days... log in to paypal, by opening your browser and manually typing the address in, find the page about the scams and there's an email address that you can forward the email to, if you think it's suspicious. If the 'from' address looks odd, it's probably a spoof. I've had a few of those... the amusing thing about most of them is that they send them to email addresses that i don't have linked to my Paypal account... morons. Of course, no one said criminals were smart...

I'm a longtime paypal user... my account goes back to when I started using eBay... in 1999.

Amanda

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Paypal has always been good to us. Even when we've had disputes (ie: Someone bought wheels from us but sent it to an account that didn't exist since he used the wrong email for us. Paypal sent him back his money and he was able to send it to our correct account. Both parties used the customer service for this issue).

We buy stuff off ebay with paypal, as well as sold car parts and stuff on websites.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

And if you ever, EVER get a random email about needing to verify your password and such, don't click on that link... it's a spoof email. Or Fishing, whatever they're calling it these days... log in to paypal, by opening your browser and manually typing the address in, find the page about the scams and there's an email address that you can forward the email to, if you think it's suspicious. If the 'from' address looks odd, it's probably a spoof. I've had a few of those... the amusing thing about most of them is that they send them to email addresses that i don't have linked to my Paypal account... morons. Of course, no one said criminals were smart...

Amanda
I agree, there are definitely "fishers" or scam artists that use paypal to try to get you to give them info. That is very good advice! If you get anything from paypal that looks "iffy" report it..basically, if it doesn't have anything to do with a transaction you made. I get one sometimes about "so-and-so" just bought a car for $15,000 on you paypal account...if it is in error, please click here.
Like I would have $15,000 in my paypal account! Do NOT click! Paypal also has a place you can go to verify any emails they send you..it will be in their sent messages. It is a good idea to change you password every few weeks, just to be safe.

Overall, paypal is safe. I would recommend to have either a separate bank account, or a limited credit card connected with it, but I'm probably just paranoid.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
been using them both to make payments,
and to get payments, so far i have had no issues.

chelle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They also need your routing # then you should be
verified soon..I was confused on paypal when
i first joined

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had paypal for years for my ebay purchases and also when I am selling items on ebay. Never had a problem yet.

And a clue to the "phishers" that want to to click a link saying they are from paypal, a sure fire way to tell that they are not legit is the way the address you in the letter, they normally say Dear paypal user, or some such drivel. A legit paypal message would address you by name. Same goes for Ebay.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use PayPal with a credit card, but I've never felt comfortable giving them my bank account information. But that's nothing against them at all, just my natural paranoia

If I ever do want to use PayPal with a bank account, I will probably set up a separate account for just that.