How long til the spay scar dissappears?

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am wondering because I adopted out Emerald(a cat I was "fostering") on December 1. Last week her new owners went out of town and so I'm "kitty-sittin" for them. Emerald's belly is shaved and the hair is bout 1/4-inch long, but there's no evidence of a spay.
No scar, no bump, nothing!

Also, I found out she has tapeworms(Yuck! I bought some meds for her). I'm starting the get this weird feeling that something isn't right...

Anyways, I was wondering if ya'll could tell me how lond it should take for a scar to dissappear? Maybe I'm just paranoid.

By the way, here's a pic of her belly:

No scar.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm... I'd think if the fur still hasn't grown completly back in that there would be some indication of an incision.

Scars don't go away BTW, that's what makes then scars.
But a good spay in most cases doesn't leave a scar but again, if the fur is still shaved looking I'd be suspicious too. Of course, theres not much you can do since she's not yours.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, she, obviously, wasn't spayed more then a month ago, so I figured there be a pretty visible scar still. I feel like they just shaved the fur to make me THINK she got shave.

True, she isn't mine anymore, but it still makes me worry.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did you go through a rescue group?

If so, then do whatever you can to find out if she's been spayed.

If she was spayed a month ago, it'd be noticable still.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TortieBaby

Well, she, obviously, wasn't spayed more then a month ago, so I figured there be a pretty visible scar still. I feel like they just shaved the fur to make me THINK she got shave.

True, she isn't mine anymore, but it still makes me worry.
I'm sorry, I missed that she was your foster first. Was there anything stating the her new "parents" had to have her spayed? That's awful sneaky... shaving her tummy to "trick" you.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you know the number of their vet?

If so, you can call their vet and tell them your situation (that you are watching their cat while out of town) and just need to verify that she is spayed. (You can even make something up like you need to know for sure if you should seperate her from a male kitten or something like that).

Wouldn't hurt to ask, the worst they would do is say 'nope, can't talk to you about it.'

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry I haven't responded in so long.Things here have been crazy lately!

They said they brought her to PAWs Chicago. I've been there and it's pretty crazy because of all the cats they have coming in there every day. I doubt they'll be able to tell me much. I don't know the woman's last name(never thought to ask it
).

She seems like a completely trustworthy person so I can't imagine her doing this, but the fact that I saw now scar makes me wonder...

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Were you fostering her for PAWS? If so, she was definitely spayed before being adopted out. If not, who were you fostering for? Normally cats are speutered before placement?

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wasn't fostering her for a shelter. I was fostering her for a woman who takes in stray cats or unwanted cats from CL and then rehomes them in permanent homes.

She thought that Emerald was preggers when she got her and already had alot of cats she was caring for so I offered to take her in til the kittens were born and then rehome her and the kitties. It turned out that she wasn't pregnant. The vet said he thought she aborted them since the woman claimed that she had been VERY pregnant when she took her in.

Either way, I ended up caring for her for a few months and she ever helped me care for the 2 kittens I was raising.

The woman who adopted her was the only person who passed my "test" and who also was against declawing and 100% for spaying.

jennywhite686

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten was spayed on Jan 3rd and her spay incision is still VERY obvious even though her fur has started to regrow more than it looks like your kitties has. I dont think all cats have identical recovery times, but my kitten wont look scar free for at LEAST another month judging by her current recovery. Her spay swelling only began 9-12 days after her spay (which I found out is typical), so she is still a little swollen too. I dont think your kitty is spayed at all if you cant see something. x

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well remember that the spay scar is usually only a half inch to an inch long. Maybe with the coloring of the skin and fur you are missing it?

jennywhite686

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just another point... When my cat was spayed (and when my older boy was neutered) they came home with a front leg shaved too. This was to allow clear access for an IV id assume. Im not sure ALL practices do this, but my 2 certainly did. Maybe another reason to doubt a spay if your kitty doesnt have this.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennywhite686

Just another point... When my cat was spayed (and when my older boy was neutered) they came home with a front leg shaved too. This was to allow clear access for an IV id assume. Im not sure ALL practices do this, but my 2 certainly did. Maybe another reason to doubt a spay if your kitty doesnt have this.
Hmm, thats weird, I have never see that done. I have been through probably 150 spays/neuters in the past few years and observed when I was in school. I don't think all vets do that but I am no expert.

tsorcus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Lily was spayed at the beginning of December too and had a huge incision of about 2.5 inches, but it's healed up very well and you can't see she's had it done apart from the fact that there's a slight break in the fur around there. Her mother had a tiny really neat incison and it was fully closed up after the 10 days when she had the stitches out and it was completely invisible after a little longer, so all cats are different. The shaved leg depends on wether the vet used gas anaestesia or the intravenious variety, my present vet didn't shave their legs at all.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is strange....Leya's scar was every obvious for a good 2 months!!!

Some shelters/low budget places spay with one little tiny cut on the side of the cat. Maybe an inch long at most? Does she have a scar there?

misskiwi67

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Many shelter vets perform so many spay surgeries that they become incredibly skilled at performing the surgeries. I adopted such a kitten during a shelter medicine veterinary rotation about a month ago, and her spay scar is barely visible, and I know where to look because I was present for her surgery (too chicken to do it myself) and recovery.

For my little Zoey I cannot see a scar through her short fur, but I can still feel the suture material as a small bump in the skin below where I know her incision occured. It will feel like a second bellybutton, about 2 fingerlengths behind her real bellybutton.

You'll know for sure if she was spayed or not shortly... all unspayed queens will be coming into heat as spring gets closer

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misskiwi67

You'll know for sure if she was spayed or not shortly... all unspayed queens will be coming into heat as spring gets closer
Ain't that the truth!!!!! One of my mom's young girls just went into heat!!!! She called me up and told me "that cat needs to go to the vet!!! I'm going crazy!!!!"