For those who use a Yahoo group PLEASE READ

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am copying this with PERMISSION

I got this e-mail forwarded to me from a member of the CRF support group on Yahoo. If this has been posted before, I apologize for bringing it up again.

"...Yahoo is tracking you down!

If you belong to ANY Yahoo Group - be aware that Yahoo is now using "Web Beacons" to track the Internet navigation of every Yahoo user. It's similar to cookies, but allows Yahoo to record every website And every group you visit -ANYWHERE- on the Internet, even when you're Not connected to Yahoo.

To stop this privacy invasive surveillance, go to Yahoo's updated privacy statement at:

http://info.yahoo.com/privacy/us/yahoo/details.html

About half-way down the page, in the section on cookies, you will See a link that says WEB BEACONS.

Cookies
Yahoo! May set and access Yahoo! Cookies on your computer.
Yahoo! Lets other companies that show advertisements on some of our pages set and access their cookies on your computer. Other companies' use of their cookies is subject to their own privacy policies, not this one. Advertisers or other companies do not have access to Yahoo!'s cookies.
Yahoo! Uses web beacons to access Yahoo! Cookies inside and outside our network of web sites and in connection with Yahoo! Products and services.

Click on the phrase "Web Beacons." On the page that opens, find a paragraph entitled "Outside the Yahoo Network."

In that section find a little "Click Here to Opt Out" link that Will let you "opt-out" of their snooping.
Outside the Yahoo! Network Yahoo! Uses web beacons to conduct research on behalf of certain partners on their web sites and also for auditing purposes.
Information recorded through these web beacons is used to report anonymous individual and/or aggregate information about Yahoo! Users to our partners. Aggregate information may include demographic and usage information. No personally identifiable information about you is shared with partners from this research.
When conducting research Yahoo!'s practice is to require our partners to disclose the presence of these web beacons on their pages in their privacy policies and state what choices are available to users regarding the collection and use of this information. You may choose to opt-out of Yahoo! Using this information for this research. Please click here to opt-out.

Important:
Yahoo's monitoring -- and your ability to opt-out of it -- is NOT user-specific.
It is MACHINE -and- BROWSER specific.
*** This means you will have to set the cookie to 'Opt-out' on - every- computer and -every- browser you use to access Yahoo and the rest of the Internet.
Please forward this concern to your other groups...

raggiekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm glad it's that easy to opt-out, but I wish we didn't have to worry about things like this in the first place....
Thanks for the info Sharky

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of browsers also have an option to only allow cookies from sites you navigate to on purpose (and not advertisers on those sites). Would be worth checking in addition to that.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Holy crap cookies!! Thanks for that information!

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for posting this. I am co-owner of a group on there and never heard of this.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That really irks me!
Isn't anything private anymore?? I thought Yahoo was supposed to be "safe" to use!

What about their e-mail program??

Well, I can't do anything about it till the computer's back up again..
But thanks for the info, Sharky.

~KK~

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by neetanddave

Same thing with Facebook, tracks you as a user, even if you aren't a member of a group.
Yea well, you know how much i show up on facebook