dry v. wet

miles mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi-

I adopted Miles this past weekend. As you can see below, he's a big guy for a seven month old kitten (he's half maine coon).

I've been reading a fair bit on here about dry vs. wet food and have checked out the links referenced.

I am wondering if anyone has anything a bit more scientific than the links that have been posted (I know how awful that sounds- and I really don't mean it like that- just don't know how else to phrase it). I would like to see studies/trials on advantages/disadvantages/long term effects of dry v. wet food if anyone has them. Anyone can write an opinion piece saying that wet food works better for their animals, you know?

Anyway, I'd really appreciate any information available- just trying to figure out the best thing for Miles.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o...DSC_0065-1.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o...DSC_0064-3.jpg

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
www.catinfo.org this one is by a VET

www.littlebigcat.com much done by a vet

too me the most enlightening thou not all science is ...looking at small wild cats which or moderns came from with little basic evolution ... they eat raw meat

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't know any specific studies, but and tell you of my experience. Most of my rexes were fed dry food as adults and lived to mid teens or older on a basic dry food.

The main reason was cause I had more then one or two cats and it was more econominal to do so. They were Iams cats and very healthy.

I still believe a dry and wet food diet is better for them, and now that we only have 2 cats, I've gone back to buying canned foods again.

BTW your kitty is a handsome big boy - he looks full grown - not a 7 month old
How much does he weigh?

raggiekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on getting Miles....he's gorgeous!

I can see both sides of the "arguments" for each food....I think if you're cat can tolerate both kinds and will eat them....feeding both is the way to go. Everything in moderation, ya know?
For the kitties who refuse to eat wet....cats have lived long lives on dry for years....
For the ones who prefer canned....great...at least there's enough studies done that people can now feel good about that being their only diet....

I personally have found that Zoe has a sensitive digestive system and does pretty well on either or but not both at the same time, so I fed just canned for a while until she didn't want to eat it any longer so now she's just dry. I do wet down her dry a bit once or twice a day so I can add in her HS and L-lysine and she drinks from her fountain very well...so I don't worry that she's not getting enough water. I do hope that as she gets older and her system matures, she can do both and without getting so picky.

I have read on this site and very much agree with the statement that even the "BEST" food is not the best for your kitty if they won't eat it.

I don't have anything scientific, JMHO

kaete

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, I don't have anything really to add to the discussion (I feed both wet and dry, and feed the highest quality that both my budget and his palate can tolerate, hahaha), except to say that your Miles and my Kit could be twins... right down to their size!! Holy cow!! What a handsome boy

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by RaggieKitty

I have read on this site and very much agree with the statement that even the "BEST" food is not the best for your kitty if they won't eat it.

I don't have anything scientific, JMHO
YUP that is all we can do

Originally Posted by kaete

Hi, I don't have anything really to add to the discussion (I feed both wet and dry, and feed the highest quality that both my budget and his palate can tolerate, hahaha), except to say that your Miles and my Kit could be twins... right down to their size!! Holy cow!! What a handsome boy
I often tell folks that ... Your budget and kittys palete...

Dry food is NOT EVIL .... but IT is not the best for sole food///

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

miles mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

BTW your kitty is a handsome big boy - he looks full grown - not a 7 month old
How much does he weigh?
Thanks
He's 11 pounds. I would have thought so too, but he was born in the foster mom's house!

smokiethecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
when using just wet,I've never found a kitten that can eat the
quantity that the label says they should eat....does anyone else
find this also? Thats why I"m sticking with dry and giving a little
wet at night.
I think feeding mainly dry with some wet in the morning or night
is the best of both worlds.It helps keep the price down too!

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed both. I can't afford to feed only wet food! Most of the time, they get dry in the morning and wet at night.

I'm trying to feed them wet in the mornings that I am home (i.e. weekends), so they get wet more than 50% of the time.

hammyandwaf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Right now i only feed dry a 50/50 mix of purina kitten and purina cat food. I am going to start feeding both wet and dry soon as i get back to work and can afford to do so. I have been listening to what everyone is saying in here an keeping in my brains logbook section and going to use that info when the funds are available

ms.blackie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh I love your Miles.
I feed both wet & dry twice a day.
All I can add is I like giving wet since
some cats dont drink much water.
Its really nice to have canned food
if you ever need to mix something into
it.
You kinda leave yourself open for a
kitty with Urinary issues on dry & boy
I dont wish that on anyone.

kpandmawk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've only had my Pepper for about four months, as I adopted him as a stray, and he's been pretty inconsistent so far with his eating habits. He used to eat both wet and dry food with enthusiasm, although he would get bored of the same brand after a short time. Whenever we were switching him between different types of wet and dry food, trying to find something that appealed to him for a longer term, he got a little sick and threw up. Ever since that day, he has refused to even touch wet food, opting only for a constant supply of any kind of dry. I prefer to give him both (dry during the day and one wet meal at night) because wet is best for keeping the coat, skin, etc., healthy, and dry is better for the teeth and of course, more cost-efficient.

Growing up, I had a cat who ate ONLY Whiskas or Fancy Feast wet food -- a female Siamese, go figure. She lived to be 20 years old, however, but her teeth weren't in the best condition.

If your cat will eat both, I would recommend it. Best of both worlds, and everything in moderation, as was pointed out above ^^^^

Good luck with your beautiful kitty!!

kulboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is my 2 cents. When I got my stray kitten 2 years ago the first thing I did was get on here and research food. The consistent thought on here was get a good canned wet food. So in that first year I got a second stray kitten and did the same for her as well. When it was time for the oldest to get her 1 year checkup the vet said she was overweight and had the most tartar buildup and gingivitis she had ever seen on a 1 year old cat. She told me to feed dry and I said "but the cat site told me to feed wet". So I get on here and make a post about it and the majority said that it was most likely the ginetics of my cat.

So a few months later it is time for the yougest cat to get her year 1 checkup and I get the same thing from the vet, overweight and bad teeth. So both of them get there teeth cleaned and then I try feeding them less from the cans which is very difficult to do. There is a little bit left in the can the next time that you have to microwave and then get a new can and take a little from that, a big hassle.

So I switch to a good dry food for the last 11 months and it has worked out great. You can feed each cat exactly how much that individual cat needs down to the pebble and keep them at the correct weight very easily. They both just recently had there year 2 check up and there teeth looked good and they are both now at an appropriate weight.

The bad teeth issue could be coincidence that it went away but you can't deny how easy it was for me to get them at the proper weight. I know people will ask so I was feeding Wellness canned and switched to Evo dry. Sorry for the long post and I do wonder if my cats are missing out not getting wet but it truely has made life easier for me.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KPandMAWK

..... and dry is better for the teeth .....

Growing up, I had a cat who ate ONLY Whiskas or Fancy Feast wet food -- a female Siamese, go figure. She lived to be 20 years old, however, but her teeth weren't in the best condition.
The whole dry food being better for the teeth argument isn't valid. It really isn't better since cats don't chew - they may break the dry piece with the tip of the tooth but then they swallow so they really aren't doing anything for their teeth.

Originally Posted by kulboy

Here is my 2 cents. When I got my stray kitten 2 years ago the first thing I did was get on here and research food. The consistent thought on here was get a good canned wet food. So in that first year I got a second stray kitten and did the same for her as well. When it was time for the oldest to get her 1 year checkup the vet said she was overweight and had the most tartar buildup and gingivitis she had ever seen on a 1 year old cat. She told me to feed dry and I said "but the cat site told me to feed wet". So I get on here and make a post about it and the majority said that it was most likely the ginetics of my cat.

So a few months later it is time for the yougest cat to get her year 1 checkup and I get the same thing from the vet, overweight and bad teeth. So both of them get there teeth cleaned and then I try feeding them less from the cans which is very difficult to do. There is a little bit left in the can the next time that you have to microwave and then get a new can and take a little from that, a big hassle.

So I switch to a good dry food for the last 11 months and it has worked out great. You can feed each cat exactly how much that individual cat needs down to the pebble and keep them at the correct weight very easily. They both just recently had there year 2 check up and there teeth looked good and they are both now at an appropriate weight.

The bad teeth issue could be coincidence that it went away but you can't deny how easy it was for me to get them at the proper weight. I know people will ask so I was feeding Wellness canned and switched to Evo dry. Sorry for the long post and I do wonder if my cats are missing out not getting wet but it truely has made life easier for me.
I can't explain why your experience should be so different, but changing to wet food has helped Bijou lose weight and his teeth are no worse than when he was on dry only.

kulboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't explain why your experience should be so different, but changing to wet food has helped Bijou lose weight and his teeth are no worse than when he was on dry only.[/quote]

I guess what I was trying to say is that half a can twice a day might be too much for some cats. Then trying to get the right amount out of the can is a hassle if your cat needs 40% of a can at each meal.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kulboy

I can't explain why your experience should be so different, but changing to wet food has helped Bijou lose weight and his teeth are no worse than when he was on dry only.
I guess what I was trying to say is that half a can twice a day might be too much for some cats. Then trying to get the right amount out of the can is a hassle if your cat needs 40% of a can at each meal.[/quote]

I think (my own opinion only) that the quality of the food also makes a difference. I feed Merrick's and they get 1/2 a can twice a day but they do share it although Mika eats less wet than Bijou so I'm sure he's eating most of the wet. He was a whopping 18.5 lb. Siamese and he's lost about 2 pounds. I haven't checked his weight recently so it could well be more. The most important thing is to ensure they lose the weight slowly so they don't have liver issues.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
wet is LOWER in calories ounce for ounce compared to dry... it is also higher in dry matter protein and fat ( ie what kittys need)..

red scathach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats have also had teeth issues with having an all wet diet after their 3rd year of annual teeth cleaning because the tartar build up was so bad I started feeding them mostly dry food with a little wet food in the mornings and evenings. Our Pixie had to have teeth pulled as well (but she probably genetically had poor chompers). Since adding dry food to the mix their Miles and Pixie didn't have any major issues with their teeth. So the dry must obviously do some good, at least in their cases. Personally I think wet food is better for kitties in the long run, but my cats seem to do best on (high end) dry and wet.

Unfortunately right now I have 2 new kittens, one of them hates dry food, and the other one hates wet food... argh they couldn't make it simple could they lol.