I'm a little freaked out

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, last Saturday we picked up Harvey's ashes from the vet. He's in a nice little urn. I put the urn on the china cabinet, where I figured we'd keep him until next spring, when I'll bury his ashes in the yard and plant a tree in his memory.

The thing is, Tailer's been hanging out on the china cabinet with the urn. He never goes on the china cabinet unless he's checking something out...there are FAR more comfy pieces of furniture for him to lay on. But he's been napping up there next to the urn.

Do you suppose there's any way he could know that Harvey's in the urn? or am I just being a freak?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds to me like he knows, and he's missing him.
Awwww...

judi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tari

So, last Saturday we picked up Harvey's ashes from the vet. He's in a nice little urn. I put the urn on the china cabinet, where I figured we'd keep him until next spring, when I'll bury his ashes in the yard and plant a tree in his memory.

The thing is, Tailer's been hanging out on the china cabinet with the urn. He never goes on the china cabinet unless he's checking something out...there are FAR more comfy pieces of furniture for him to lay on. But he's been napping up there next to the urn.

Do you suppose there's any way he could know that Harvey's in the urn? or am I just being a freak?
I think he smells it.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm guessing his response has more to do with the way you handle and treat the urn than with the urn itself or the contents. You're transmitting your respect, and it's that he's connecting with. They're not dumb.

hammyandwaf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am a firm believer that animals can see, smell, and even feel spirits and i think that he definately knows there is a spirit there. Because of the fact that his spirit will always be with you wherever you go leads me to believe that Tailer was very close to Harvey and knows that his friend is right there with him. We went thru that with Squishy when my DBF Hammy's father passed. When we brought his ashes home she sat right beside of them for about 4 or 5 days. Keep in mind Squishy never saw Hammy's father but Hammy was very close to his dad and i loved him as well. I know he is here with us and so does she. She often looks towards the ceiling an directly at the urn like she actually sees something although we dont.