Shy Kitten, please help!

jamieliz02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am trying to decide whether to get a kitten or not. I went to visit it and loved it, she is 8 weeks old but the only thing was she was a little shy.
There were several other kittens as well as a dog in this house and the current owner said she they were strays. She did come to me and play some, but didnt want to be held at all. I dont mind this but don't really want her to grow up to be a really shy cat and if she does I will keep looking. I really do want this kitten though so if its normal for her to be shy now and she will grow out of it, I will get her! Please let me know, if I am getting her I will probably go today! Thanks!

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she came to you and played some ,then it sounds like she probably would be fine. You are a stranger to her and shes just a baby still. Many kittens don't like to held at first they are active and don't like sitting still for long.
Visit with her again and long as though shes not hiding or acting scared then this sounds normal kitten behaivor.They need time to warm up to a new home and new person..

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The biggest problems are in kittens that are taken from mom/siblings earlier then 10-12 weeks old. At 8 weeks, most kittens are on the shy side because they STILL have a lot to learn. Its a world of difference between adopting a kitten at 8 weeks and adopting one at 12-16 weeks - the older one will have a lot more confidence and be more outgoing and less shy.

IF you still want to adopt, then I suggest you take 2 kittens from this litter rather then one, because they will still be together and will become more outgoing the longer they can be with mom/siblings.

709juggalette

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

IF you still want to adopt, then I suggest you take 2 kittens from this litter rather then one, because they will still be together and will become more outgoing the longer they can be with mom/siblings.
That is what I did.
I planned on only getting one cat,but they are only about 8 weeks and the woman wanted to drown them.Anyway I ended up taking two,so it would be easier on them.

I just brought them home last night and they are a little shy,but will come up to me and will stay with me if I hold them.

So I think you should maybe think about taking two.