Stop abandoning your cats!

sweet72947

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This week we had six cats abandoned in carriers on FOHA's driveway. Thankfully they look to be in good health and the note left with them claims that they are spayed/neutered. But that's six cats that we cannot pull from the kill shelter because their spots are now taken. We have had so many cats abandoned on the property lately. Whoever you are that's leaving cats on FOHA's property, maybe you think you are doing a "good" thing because you are leaving them at a no-kill shetler, but you are killing cats in the shelters because their spots in rescue are being taken by your irresponsibility! Stop abandoning your cats!

laurie314

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i agree,,but could these be foreclosure cats...so many people are losing there homes and going to apartments. In my area they are giving up dogs..it is unbelieveable. Isn't it better than throwing them out on the streets? I understand your problem, believe me..the amount of pets just tossed out is disgusting. People should think long and hard about adopting. It is a lifetime commitment. But on the other hand, people fall on hard times and have a hard time putting food on the table for there families and then the pets get the bad end. Its a tough situation!!

zao_cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know if it's just me, but my cat would eat before me. There have been some weeks where she has.

rebochan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sweet72947

This week we had six cats abandoned in carriers on FOHA's driveway. Thankfully they look to be in good health and the note left with them claims that they are spayed/neutered. But that's six cats that we cannot pull from the kill shelter because their spots are now taken. We have had so many cats abandoned on the property lately. Whoever you are that's leaving cats on FOHA's property, maybe you think you are doing a "good" thing because you are leaving them at a no-kill shetler, but you are killing cats in the shelters because their spots in rescue are being taken by your irresponsibility! Stop abandoning your cats!
On the other hand, that's also six cats that aren't being added to the kill shelter and potentially being put to sleep in the first place or directly causing the kill shelter to have to put down six animals to make room.

Not that this makes it any better - people shouldn't dump their animals at all.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's better than nothing... But oh, if only I could just shake some of those landlords who don't let you keep your cat!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Callista

It's better than nothing... But oh, if only I could just shake some of those landlords who don't let you keep your cat!
I have to respectfully disagree. It's not the landlord's fault, he has a right to make that rule. If people have pets, they should not even sign a lease for a no-pet building. I will never understand why they even look at an apartment that doesn't allow pets.

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I live in a co-op that does not allow pets. However I have two cats. One was abandoned, the other was a feral kitten. I agreed with our local shelter to foster them. I then adopted them. The no pet rule has been in effect since 1943. As a co-op the residents elect the board of trustees and they make rules. This is so archiac. I can understand dogs, but indoor cats should be allowed. If and when I am asked to either give up the cats or vacate I mosst likely will move into an apt. where I can keep the cats.

red scathach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately it seems more and more apartment complexes are no longer allowing pets. This happened to my husband and I years ago, and we had our two kitties who we would never give up so we tried to find a new apartment. Which didn't turn out well since we couldn't find a single complex that allowed pets that weren't in shady areas or ridiculously expensive. It worked out well in the end for us since we moved in with the in-laws and saved up for a year for a down payment on our very first home. Now we can have all the kitties we want

Thankfully we had the support of our family to help us keep our pets, being without the would be unimaginable for us. With the housing crisis and so many people losing their homes I worry about all the pets that will end up going to shelters or just being left to stray. It makes me want to go rescue another kitty the more I think about it (I think having 3 cats and a kitten on the way is more then enough for us right now lol).

laurie314

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I said i think 2 is enough....and then four was it..no more..Then 2 more needed help and it was six, an abandoned kitty adopted us and I adopted a sick foster so thats 8 and now I am thinking of keeping another foster, who I think will not have a chance...she's already been tossed out into the cold .. pregnant and then taking care of 4 babies(1 froze to death). She is very finicky and spooks real easy..I've had her for a little over 2 months and she is just starting to play and gain weight. The humane society said I am "spoiling" her and they do not have the time for that kind of special treatment. I have to play with her and act like I am going to eat her food. She will then run up and gobble it up. Its a game we play, I also have her on PETGOLD vitamins, because she was so skinny after the babies. I don't know i just do not see her doing good in a cage waiting to be adopted. We just might keep her ourselves. I think she deserves a break. Do you think 9 is to much? people say I am crazy...i just love my babies.
A house a few doors down got robbed a few weeks ago. I am a nervous wreck..I care less about anything in my house I can replace it. I just hope if we get robbed they do not hurt my kitties and make sure the doors are closed so they do not let any kittiesout. I am dead serious about that to. Boy, did I get some crazy looks!!! If I had a bigger house and more money....the sky is the limit. I would love to open up a cat sanctuary, just for the unwanted middleaged kitties who are ignored in the shelters. Just a dream of mine!!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think you will find anyone on TCS who doesn't agree with you about people not abandoning their animals, but that is the reason why we still have animal shelters. At least they dumped them somewhere they will be cared for rather than on a farm or side of the road like some people.

jenniferd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

I have to respectfully disagree. It's not the landlord's fault, he has a right to make that rule. If people have pets, they should not even sign a lease for a no-pet building. I will never understand why they even look at an apartment that doesn't allow pets.
Well, the problem is, it's hard to find an apartment that allows pets.
Especially if someone has a number of pets, then it becomes nearly impossible.

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jenniferd

Well, the problem is, it's hard to find an apartment that allows pets.
Especially if someone has a number of pets, then it becomes nearly impossible.
Interesting statement, given that when my husband and I were looking for new residences we didn't have ANY problems finding apartments to take our pets; now one of our dogs was a slight problem, becuase she was bigger than what some of the places wanted, but the cats and other dog were not a problem. There were pet deposits though, and some of them were monthly; our current place was a one time deposit, which was a bonus! I think people can find complexes that allow pets...more so that allow cats...it's just that they just don't look hard enough!!

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah... and then add in a college student trying to live on a part-time job, and things get really interesting. Now you're not just looking for someone who allows pets--you're looking for someone who charges low rent AND allows pets. You hardly ever get that combination.

Trust me, I looked hard; and I was lucky to get this place--which didn't allow cats--and then even more lucky to have my landlord relent when she saw just how well I took care of my cats.

If forced to move, I doubt I could find a place that would take me and my cats for the same price I am paying now. That's a scary thought, because a "For Sale" sign has appeared on my front lawn, and if the new landlord either doesn't want to keep renters or doesn't want to allow pets, I will have to try to sneak them into a place that doesn't allow pets--there won't be another alternative, not as far as I can see.

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

I will never understand why they even look at an apartment that doesn't allow pets.
Neither will I. If I get a notice of foreclosure or something like that, I would search everywhere in the city for a place that allows pets. If I can't find one, I'll move on and try another city. I'll find one eventually that has a vacancy.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can try all you want, but finding a place around here that allows pets is darn near impossible! My house that I use to live, it said in the paper, NO PETS, we went to look at it, I asked her if she would make an exception to the rule and she did! (of course it also wreaked of dog in there from the previous tenents so I could understand why she did it)

Its a problem sometimes finding a place that allows pets! Thats when you go country house shopping though! Them things are a couple hundred bucks a month and you can do what you want with them! yeah, you got to drive to work and everywhere else and pay the extra cash, but sometimes its worth it!
I have the benefit of a family member owning my house! When my last one got broke (the front porch fell off) we had to move THAT NIGHT! So needless to say the cats couldn't go with! It was really hard, but we talked my MIL to take them till we found a house! It was 2 months without my kitties! Two long months at that, but we got a place, (my gma and gpa bought it, and now rent it to us) and got our cats back!

I really think it sucks that people are dropping there pets off like that though... on the other hand, around here, that would be the nicest thing they could do. Most people kill them, drownd them, or shoot them. Its sad, I even cought my own father doing it once. He had 100 or so cats on the farm, so they had to downsize. I about killed him!