Now I Know Why I Didn't Miss Having Cable TV!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the local news on, and they just had a news story about a woman who claimed her kids were "sick", and convinced the doctors to perform unnecessary surgeries on them.
This just makes me sick..

What's the world coming to??

Now I know why I didn't miss having TV much..

~KK~

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why would a doctor even do that? I'm pretty sure they need proof of something wrong before cutting people open!

That is sick!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

I hate the news, it's depressing...This woman is obviously sick, I think they call it Munchhousen by proxy syndrome
Yes, and when I was in nursing school and doing my pedeatrics rotation, I actually encountered a woman like that. We had to bar her from seeing her son in the end. She was doing all kinds of things to make that poor kid sick!

It's a form of child abuse. But it doesn't necessarily have to be afflicted against children. A child could do it to their elderly parent or basically anyone in a position of "care giver" in order to feel a sense of importance. It's very sad

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Munchausen syndrome by proxy. A very real disease in which a person (usually a parent) makes up or exaggerates symptoms and complaints about another person (usually their child). The person creating the false information gets an emotional need met by being the center of attention as a "caregiver."
Some of these people are very knowledgable about medications and human physiology to the point that they can fool doctors. In many cases, the surgery will be an exploratory one with the intent of finding the cause of the presenting symptoms as reported by the parent.

These people need to be committed or shot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Why would a doctor even do that? I'm pretty sure they need proof of something wrong before cutting people open!

That is sick!
The mother was a nurse, so she therefore must have known how to convince a doctor that the surgeries were necessary..

~KK~

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mom of 4

Some of these people are very knowledgable about medications and human physiology to the point that they can fool doctors.
Which is how she got away with it: as I just mentioned in the previous post, she was a nurse.

These people need to be committed or shot.

~KK~

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's why I don't watch the news.
I don't watch a lot of TV really, but I think I'd die without cable, since all that I do watch is only on cable.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

That's why I don't watch the news.
After tonight's reminder that the world is still a sick place (I haven't had cable for almost 6 years now), I doubt that I'll be watching it much anymore, either.

I think I'll stick with the oldies stations, or the Discovery channel...

~KK~

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I remember when Hillary Clinton tried to put together a health care program at the beginning of Bill Clinton's first term and they had a little girl that they were using as a poster child for the need to revamp the health care system. She had been hospitalized several times and had had multiple surgeries. I heard several years later that her mother was making her child sick. Of course all the sympathy and attention her mother was getting about health care reform was feeding her emotional illness.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

I watched a documentry about a woman who did that only last week, so i wonder if it's the same one?
I could be - I don't know.
It just occurred recently...

~KK~

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Denice

I heard several years later that her mother was making her child sick. Of course all the sympathy and attention her mother was getting about health care reform was feeding her emotional illness.
I once was seeing a guy who "got off" on making other peeps miserable: he seemed to derive some sort of sick pleasure from seeing others suffer more than he was. I guess by making others miserable, HE didn't feel as miserable himself..

~KK~

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most parents who do this, and it is usually the mother, it isn't a sadistic need. They are sympathy junkies and usually narcisstic. If you think about it one of the situations that people find themselves in that we are very sympathetic too is someone with a child that has a chronic serious illness.