TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Is Pepsi causing me to have Sleeping Problems??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is Pepsi causing me to have Sleeping Problems??

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
So... Im a straight up Pepsi-Hollick!! and im not ashamed of it
Not the point though... so ever since I was young ive had a cup of Pepsi before bed ((probably not the best idea)) so its been my routine for idk how long... well just recently my mom stopped buying Pepsi... about 2 weeks ago.
About 5 days after she stopped buying the Pepsi I started waking up at 3-9am and going to sleep at 6-8pm... Not my normal sleeping hours... I usually wake up at 10am-12pm and go to sleep at 11pm-2am. Thats been my normal sleeping hours since Nov. of last yr.
Well I talked my mom into buying Pepsi last night and I drank a glass and I stayed up till 2am and slept till 12pm!! it was the most awsomest feeling to sleep in again!! ((i know i have no life )).
Ok now I know your thinking the caffeine keeps me up and so i sleep in.. no thats not it!! so along with sleeping from 6-8pm and waking up at 3-9am id wake up all through the night.. like restlessly and id get back aches and everything... but last night.. oh last night i will cherish for a long time!!! lol i didnt wake up with any back pains and i didnt wake up at all through the night and it was awsome!! and before i stopped drinking Pepsi i never got back aches or woke up through the night ((Pepsi also helps me sleep btw)).
So... could me not drinking Pepsi be the cause of my horrible sleeping shift?? Im convinced it is but I was wondering what you all thought about it?!

Edit:
Im not asleep now cause im waiting to se if my moms going to the store, im really tired though... ((I havnt had any Pepsi today.))
post #2 of 22
Pepsi is loaded with caffeine! So yes, it will affect your sleep just like coffee will.

Caffeine is a drug and your body becomes dependent (addicted) to it, so when you stop taking it your body is feeling deprived and you will feel edgy and maybe shakey, and craving it, and really tired. But all of that will pass if you stop drinking it.

However, if you still have sleep problems or feel really sleepy even after having slept, then you could have another problem such as Sleep Apena or another type of sleep disorder, all of which are diagnosed through sleep study tests.

Also, there is a direct link between throat cancer and soft drinks. Plus soft drinks wear away the enamel on your teeth and can lead to diabetes if you are drinking the regular kind.
post #3 of 22
Sounds to me like you're body became addicted to Pepsi and thinks that it needs it in order to sleep. I assume when you say "November of Last year" you're talking Nov 2007.

I would give it longer to adjust to being without Pepsi, such as 6 months. If you still have problems sleeping after 6 months, then make an appointment with your doctor as you could have a sleep disorder.
post #4 of 22
Drink water instead of soda. Being dehydrated doesn't help. Also, you might consider NOT going to sleep early even if you're tired. If I try to sleep before 10 or so, I'm going to wake up 2-3AM just about every time.
post #5 of 22
also the fact that you are only 16 you shouldnt be so addicted to pepsi or cola, or any type of caffeine, you need to learn to adjust to caffeine free drinks. Drinking so much caffeine will effect your health long term.
post #6 of 22
I have been drinking Pepsi,for 35 years,I do not have any trouble sleeping.Or any other problems. (6 to 8 cans a day)
post #7 of 22
6-8 cans a day? I love the stuff too but I just can't afford that much!

It's never been the cause of my sleeping problems, and if anything I'm more effected by the sugar after all these years then the caffeine itself (unless I combined an ultram + 2 glasses of pepsi in a row ).
I would be happy if I could blame the pepsi, it would be easier to fix.

Vixen - Is it just caffeine containing drinks that cause this or do sugary ones do so too?

Though I love the stuff as much as some of you do, I really suggest against drinking it or any caffeine containing drink before bed. While the caffeine may not actually disturb some people's sleep it can still paralyze the little flap at the top of your stomach that keeps food, liquids, and stomach acid from flowing back up your esophagus. When you lay down you add gravity to the mix and risk getting horrible heartburn and eventual damage.
post #8 of 22
If I don't get my caffeine I get a terrible migraine headache. Talk about withdraw huh. There was a point when I quit pop because it hurt my stomach and therefore didn't get any caffeine. After awhile I started to drink coffee at my job and one cup would wire me because I was caffeine sensitive from not having it all the time. Now I'm back to drinking pop.
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vixen16 View Post
So... Im a straight up Pepsi-Hollick!! and im not ashamed of it
Not the point though... so ever since I was young ive had a cup of Pepsi before bed ((probably not the best idea)) so its been my routine for idk how long... well just recently my mom stopped buying Pepsi... about 2 weeks ago.
About 5 days after she stopped buying the Pepsi I started waking up at 3-9am and going to sleep at 6-8pm... Not my normal sleeping hours... I usually wake up at 10am-12pm and go to sleep at 11pm-2am. Thats been my normal sleeping hours since Nov. of last yr.
Well I talked my mom into buying Pepsi last night and I drank a glass and I stayed up till 2am and slept till 12pm!! it was the most awsomest feeling to sleep in again!! ((i know i have no life )).
Ok now I know your thinking the caffeine keeps me up and so i sleep in.. no thats not it!! so along with sleeping from 6-8pm and waking up at 3-9am id wake up all through the night.. like restlessly and id get back aches and everything... but last night.. oh last night i will cherish for a long time!!! lol i didnt wake up with any back pains and i didnt wake up at all through the night and it was awsome!! and before i stopped drinking Pepsi i never got back aches or woke up through the night ((Pepsi also helps me sleep btw)).
So... could me not drinking Pepsi be the cause of my horrible sleeping shift?? Im convinced it is but I was wondering what you all thought about it?!

Edit:
Im not asleep now cause im waiting to se if my moms going to the store, im really tired though... ((I havnt had any Pepsi today.))
When I first read the title, I thought your cat was named Pepsi!
Doesn't Pepsi have Caffene in it?
Caffine will help you stay awake.
post #10 of 22
Don't women who drink coca-cola/pepsi every day have a higher chance of getting osteoporosis?

http://www.indianpad.com/story/14482
post #11 of 22
yeah, it does. I'm a Diet Coke addict and cut down to one can a day (I HAVE to have one in the morning or you don't want to talk to me) because my mom gave me a lecture on it. Try drinking water. Maybe you can fool your body into thinking its just a drink thing before bed to sleep, not the actual Pepsi.
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cata_mint View Post
Don't women who drink coca-cola/pepsi every day have a higher chance of getting osteoporosis?

http://www.indianpad.com/story/14482
I really do not belive it!!!!!!!!! I just had a bone denisty test and passed with flying color;s!!
post #13 of 22
This link contains information on some of the dangers of soda...especially if you drink too much. http://www.helium.com/tm/682701/drin...elieve-healthy

More than likely what's going on with you is that you're body is crashing from the sugar high. Pepsi tends to have more sugar in it than Coke, and while sugar gives you a brief high, it's also a depressent for the body. So you're body winds up crashing.

I wouldn't be surprised if you had a nice big slice of chocolate cake before going to be if you experience the same sleep you get with Pepsi.
post #14 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judi View Post
When I first read the title, I thought your cat was named Pepsi!
Doesn't Pepsi have Caffene in it?
Caffine will help you stay awake.
No, no kitty named Pepsi.. I wish, I love that name!! lol

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I know its not the healthiest thing to do... But I have issues with water... umm its kinda hard to explain. I dont like how water doesnt have a flavor and that I can se through it... umm have you seen the movie "Signs"? well im sorta like the lil girl who has issues with the water... thats the best way i can explain it. I try to drink water as much as i can but i get sick after just a few sips. And yes ive tried drinking Aquafina Flavor Splash ((thats the only flavored water i like)) and i try to drink that a lot but again i dont like how i can se through the water so I lose my appetite real easily.
I also tried sucking on Ice when I got thirsty instead of drinking soda but i lose my appetite real easily when it comes to ice.. its worse than the water issue.

I Know... have issues...
post #15 of 22
Well, like everyone has already said here..it is most likely the culprit of your sleep problems. Pop is so bad for you..(and trust me I love Pepsi). I can't even believe people drink that much of it..your poor bodies! I don't even have the stuff in my house..(for the exact purpose of NOT drinking it because I do really like it).
post #16 of 22
I'm a pepsi addict too. Could drink a 2 liter a day. I have no problems sleeping because of it.. but I do get a headache if I don't have any.
post #17 of 22
I am very addicted to Diet Coke and Coffee, but I make a point to not drink any caffeine after 4pm.
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vixen16 View Post
.
About 5 days after she stopped buying the Pepsi I started waking up at 3-9am and going to sleep at 6-8pm... Not my normal sleeping hours... I usually wake up at 10am-12pm and go to sleep at 11pm-2am. Thats been my normal sleeping hours since Nov. of last yr.
Well I talked my mom into buying Pepsi last night and I drank a glass and I stayed up till 2am and slept till 12pm!! really tired though
Ok, just a question..but why, if you are 16, do you sleep until 10am-12pm? If you're home schooled that's fine, but if not, shouldn't you be in school? (If there is a reason behind this that I didn't see, I do apologize).

And, going to sleep at 8:00pm and waking up at 9:00 am isn't a bad thing. Younger people need more sleep than mature people, from what I've read. Actually, I would LOVE to get that much sleep, but that's just me.

I do think it's probably your body going into withdrawal. Even if caffine is "supposed" to keep someone awake, if your body is used to it the body readjusts itself and gets the normal balance back where the caffine doesn't do that. Stopping it all of a sudden will make you gittery, IE waking up 5 times a night and strange sleep patterns.

I'm not an expert, but maybe you should try cutting down on the pepsi, and drink herbal tea at night. There are many flavors you can chose from and it is much healthier than drinking soda. Plus the warmth helps you get into a sleep frame of mind.

Just a suggestion, but I hope it helps!
post #19 of 22
The reduction in bone density is mostly in women's hips.

Have you tried Berocca? It tastes like fizzy orange juice/orange soda. Plus its good for you!
http://www.berocca.co.uk/vitamin-c.htm
post #20 of 22
I too was a caffeine addict once... Stopped caffeine, sleep much better, wake up much easier... all good.

Waking up at 9 sounds like a good thing to me.
post #21 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by calico2222 View Post
Ok, just a question..but why, if you are 16, do you sleep until 10am-12pm? If you're home schooled that's fine, but if not, shouldn't you be in school? (If there is a reason behind this that I didn't see, I do apologize).
I sleep in from 10am-12pm because im currently not in school... Nov. of 06 my brother came out with Lymph Node Cancer, and it was just a shock to all of us that I decided to take a yr off school. I was ganna go back this yr but we started having problems with the enrolling and stuff ((my previous school shut down a couple months before)) so my mom just said forget it, your quiting now and you can get your GED when you turn 17.

------------------------------------------------------------

I actually dont drink a lot of Pepsi... its Usually a 2Liter split between 4 people in our house. I usually have a cup during the day ((if available)) and a cup before bed.

Im not use to waking up at 9.... especially when my day really doesnt start till after 10am.
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunasmom View Post

More than likely what's going on with you is that you're body is crashing from the sugar high. Pepsi tends to have more sugar in it than Coke, and while sugar gives you a brief high, it's also a depressent for the body. So you're body winds up crashing.

I wouldn't be surprised if you had a nice big slice of chocolate cake before going to be if you experience the same sleep you get with Pepsi.
this is exactly what I was going to say.
alcohol will do this to me if I drink it with soda (like whiskey and coke). I'm very sensitive to it and can't have too much or I will wake up in the middle of the night crashing from the sugar in the whiskey and the coke. If I get up and eat something sweet or drink some soda I drift right back off to dreamland.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Is Pepsi causing me to have Sleeping Problems??